1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac says He'll Take less Money to Stay with Knicks.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 19, 2010.

1. amaru

amaru Member

NY would still let the trade go through.

Remember this move was primarily about Cap space.

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see how he performs for the knicks. March 21st will be a real good game (HOU v NYK). I will be getting NBA League Pass for the rest of the year to see how K Mart and the new guys fit in. We may be in store for a real good 2nd half run...

I think he will have some decent games, but for the most part will be about avg at best. Knicks want to get up and down the floor and I can't see him thriving in that system. He has a lot of pressue on him to perform well since he talked all that trash here in Houston about how he has been ready to play, but we didn't want to let him play. So the world will see and NY fans will let him have it like never before if he gets out there sloppy.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

if the knicks sign 2 max stars, the most he can get from the knicks is a veterans' minimum or something.

the guy wants to win, which is why he risked playing last year and backfired on him.

4. devilsdandruff

obviously he needs to take a paycut.
    he's no kobe anymore.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Yea probably farther down than that........gotta admit I'm jealous lol

6. sbyang

sbyang Member

1) They will have to renounce his and David Lee's bird rights in order to sign 2 max guys, meaning the max offer he could get from NYK is the MLE.

2) If they could offer MLE to anyone it'd be David Lee.

3) Assuming Lee turns them down, there are lots of other FA that will get the MLE offer before Tmac, unless he comes out and blows everyone away in these next 30 games.

7. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

But he wouldn't take a lesser role to stay here. Awesome!

8. remogunz

remogunz Member

I wish Tmac all the best; however he was having trouble running with the Rockets but now he believes he can run with the Knicks running and gun offense!!

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

HEADLINE ALERT:

McGrady will take less than $23million to stay with the Knicks next year.

Maybe McGrady is smarter than we all think? He's come out early, before he even has to play a game in MSG, and gets the Knicks fans to love him. "I'm here to stay guys, I'll even take a paycut to do so"
    Then he comes out and brings mediocre returns the rest of the year - but no problem, because he'll play for less next season!

By less, surely he means the minimum? Be interesting to see what his agent pushes for if the Knicks don't manage to sign a big name FA....

1 person likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The guy wants to win, which is why he tried so hard in Toronto last year :rolleyes:

The only reason he mailed it in last season and got the surgery was so that the Rockets couldn't trade him (for Martin I think was the deal?)

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Tmac can finally get those sidekicks he's been complaining about.

Wade will be the Robin to Tmac's Batman. Bosh can be Alfred or whatever.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what percentage was he when we sat him down earlier in the year?

13. SunsRocketsfan

only time will tell but yes there are certain things that Tmac is still probably better than martin at.
    Better rebounder - yup
    Better passer - yup
    better playmaker - yup
    better D? - maybe, if he tries then yes

better scorer? This is the only area where Martin may be better than Tmac now. Again this really depends on how he rebounds from his surgery. but yes overall I would say if Tmac is even a shell of his former self he is still a better player than Martin. . but not necessarily a better for the Rockets.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

T-Mac, you are likely to be about as in demand as AI. Most people will come calling only if you take the minimum.

15. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Hahaha that's hilariouse!!!but honestly,we paid him so much 4 nothin

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You forgot about Better Fit. T-Mac may be better at everything, but if he does so in a way that isn't conducive to winning basketball, who cares?

See Allen Iverson. Yes, Allen played on a number of successful teams, including one that went to the Finals, but the team had to be so precisely and specifically built around him and his style, and it was in such a weak and watered down Eastern Conference, you kind of have to take it with a grain of salt.

I'm not saying T-Mac can't co-exist and be part of a winning squad.

I do think it isn't immediately obvious why he thinks NYC is a great fit for him? D'Antoni style doesn't exactly shout T-Mac.

All of that said, I really hope he helps the Knicks win a few more games this year, as the Jazz own their pick.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Unless I'm mistaken:

Knicks do not have the cap space until they renounce Tracy. Tracy, even after the season, counts as 150% (~ $35M) against their cap space until they renounce him. They can't offer anything until he's been renounced.

Once McGrady is renounced, the Knicks may only sign him if they are using cap space or the Vet's minimum (not to be confused with the LLE).

Knicks will be under the cap, and not eligible to use the MLE anyway

So long as the Knicks hand out max deals, I don't see any way McGrady can stick around for anything more than the veteran minimum

19. lalala902102001

Tracy must first show the NBA that he can still play. Otherwise he'd be out of the league next year.

And I'm not surprised at all that he said that. The first day he came here, he said he'd play the rest of his career in Houston.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Knicks get James and Bosh and sign Tracy for cheap. Legit as fk, assuming Tracy stays healthy, and that's a big IF.