1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac or Barkley. Who was the better Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Dec 11, 2017.

?

Who was the better Rocket, Tmac or Barkley?

1. Tmac

83.3%
  2. Sir Charles

16.7%
  1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Barkley would be a midget J-Smoove in todays NBA.

also rockets Tmac >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> some ****** who became worthless after the NBA didn't allow him to grind his ass against other players for 24 seconds

roslolian likes this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Scottie Pippen is offended by this thread

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There is so much wrong with this post. Barkley was highly skilled. He could handle the ball like a guard, rebound and dunk like a big, super quick, good passer. Career 60% true shooting is really good. If you think he only got his buckets in the paint, you’re just wrong.

Players don’t need to be super big or long to be effective 4s in the game today. It’s impossible to say for sure if he’d be a superstar in today’s game, but he was absolutely a superstar in the early 90s, and still really good his first few years with us.

ilovehtownbb and Patience like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Barkley averaged 10 rebounds a game every year of his career, at 6’5.

The only other retired players to do that are dudes from the 50s and 60s like Chamberlain and Russell and Pettit.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Barkley all the way. Dude used to trash Houston in the papers, but when he joined our team... all was forgotten. We made a pretty good run with him and if Drex would have put his heart into the Jazz series we might have seen the greatest finals ever recorded.

(yes I know drex had a good game 6 but he was off that series in my opinion and never looked '1995-hungry'.)

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is SO true about Clyde. His body language was bizarre pretty much all year. To a lesser extent, Hakeem also didn't quite have the eye of the tiger.

Outside of Dream, Barkley was the only guy that could at times look superior to Jordan when Jordan was at the peak of his powers.

Barkley over McGrady in every scenario, IMO.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. _Numberfifty

_Numberfifty Member

In arguably their best statistical seasons they averaged:

Barkley: 19.2 - 13.5 - 4.7
    McGrady: 25.7 - 6.2 - 5.7

Which arent bad statlines to say the least,
    biggest difference I asume is that McGrady got to be the star on his team.
    Making his numbers slightly more inflated.

Therefore, it ALL comes down to rings!

Which brings us to the... ehm... conclussion... that.... ehm...
    Well...
    You know....

NO.

RudyTBag and don grahamleone like this.
  8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

If McGrady and Yao could have stayed healthy, they would have gotten at least two titles (in 2008 and 2009). I know bias is a factor, and I know there's subjective coulda-shoulda-wouldas all over the sports world, and I know that [sadly] injuries are just a part of the game. But there is just very little doubt in my mind that those two years, we were the best team in the league when healthy. Regular season or not, I remember watching that 22-game win streak thinking this is possibly the best basketball I've seen since the Jordan/Pippen Bulls. That team figured it all out, and McGrady was a *huge* part of how they did it.

There's a good couple other years where they would have had a shot, too.

The only year Barkley had a shot at a title with us was 1997, and he played a role in the demise of that team by causing some locker room drama in the playoffs. **** Charles Barkley.

9. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

In regular season: Tmac
    In playoff : Barkley

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Wow. So much disrespect for Chucky?? He was way better for us - got to conference finals and had a really cheap contract!!!

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the correct answer
    Period

12. tinman

Supporting Member

These are Max Kellerman fans

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Draymond never won the mvp
    6 6 Barkley was out rebounding seven footers

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I never said he wasnt highly skilled, in fact I also said he was talented. However we all know Barkley just relied on his natural gifts, he wasn't a hard worker he couldn't even get in shape. "Rebound and dunk like a big super quick passer?" What does that sentence even mean its like you just strung up all the memories and nostalgia you had of Barkley back in the day.

If you actually checked out bball reference you'll know Barkley assisted for a grand total of 3.2 assists a game, he isn't Tmac when it comes to playmaking. While he has a career 61.2% which is high that is just due to his youth when he was still mentored by Moses Malone and Dr J. Once he matured and reached aged 28 his TS% started plummeting and dropped to the low 0.530s. This is likely due to his weight and lack of work ethic catching up to him. You are right he didn't take all his shots in the paint. However he only took 1-2 threes a night so his other shots are mid range shots which we all know are horrible shots.

Also PF dont need to be super quick or super long, but they also shouldn't be 6'4 and 3/4 which is his real height according to him:
    https://www.celebheights.com/s/Charles-Barkley-2722.html

Maybe you think 6'4 3/4 guys who have no work ethic will still be a superstar in today's game at the PF position. You are entitled to your opinion but IMHo you are wrong. Give me examples of other 6'4 PFs who are lazy yet became superstars and I'll agree it is possible. You have guards who are taller than Barkley playing today wtf.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The only year we had a shot to win a title, Tracy was picking the Lakers against us when he was still on the roster.

Patience likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

6'4 3/4. If you were a real Barkley fan you'd know this.

Also Barkley was only able to rebound because he could body up everyone and be physical, the rules allowed it. Its not possible to do this anymore otherwise Lebron would get 15 rebs a night.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

This thread reminds me of the one where younger posters were dissing Magic Johnson, except this time with Charles Barkley. You are out of your element Donny. Tracy McGrady isn't better than Charles Barkley in his wildest dreams. One is a top 50 player of all time, and one never got out of the first round of the playoffs.

Patience and DrNuegebauer like this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Tracy, but unfair comparison due to age.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Barkley also has argument for biggest freak of nature in NBA history.

6'5'' with a Rebounding Title, and dunking on fools 6'' inches taller

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Steve Francis