1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac as the starting point guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, May 11, 2008.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Playing the point is physically and mentally taxing for McGrady. You have brought up very good points.

2. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Liability on defense........ CP3, Nash, Parker, TJ Ford, Hell Montay Ellis........ He would have to work too hard. We saw what happened when he was bringing the ball up the majority of the time and what happened when he was playing off the ball. We need a real point guard. If nothing else, we can use TMac as a decoy off the ball to open it up for Yao.

3. brybishop11

brybishop11 New Member

Just curious, do most Rocket fans want to keep Tbag or let him go? Seems like a stat getting, never win kind of 'star', and I use star loosely...there has to be fans here that are sick of his "leadership"...anyway, just wondering...

4. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

wow. ok. First, wrong thread. Second, "tbag" is one of the greatest scorers of the current basketball era. If he wanted to grab stats he wouldn't have changed his style of play after his injury to suit the team. After watching the playoffs it should be obvious that he can play on another level and there isnt a chance that we get equal value by trading him and definitely wouldnt get equal value if we "let him go". And no, Tracy McGrady is not a leader, not everybody is but if the rest of the team (outside of scola and Raf for a game and a half) followed his example we'd be battling the lakers right now. I would hate to see what your first post was.

5. brybishop11

brybishop11 New Member

After watching the playoffs? He played on the same level as always, I saw no 'new' level. He scored a bunch then fizzled. I do see how it might be hard to get equal value, but what is 'equal' value for him? He is a good scorer, I agree. I just see him as the most over rated, media made star in the league these days. He is a great scorer, but not a superstar at all. I think you have to win some to get that status...

6. Possum

Possum Member

Not saying he should play PG but how is this different than any game?

7. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

It makes sense, BUT we have to add a Ben Gordon or some other quick score 1st mentality SG to make it work.

All in all:

Tmac, Gordon, Batman, Landry/Scola, Yao sounds pretty good to me personally and TMAC would be a BEASTLY PG and he would absolutely take over games on defensive end (cuz he doesn't have to shoot so much).

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Another benefit of Tmac at the 1 is that he will SURELY have help w/ shooting. It is VERY HARD to find a PG that can both run the offense, score and quick enough to guard all the freaking badass PGs in the western conference, BUT finding a 2 guard that can score and quick enough to stay in front of the parkers/CP3s of the west can be had fairly cheaply. (Again I think Ben Gordon can fit this role).

Just my opinion.

9. DaRhx05

DaRhx05 Member

no no and no. Tmac can be a point guard but shouldnt be our point guard. First off he is our secondary scoring option if not first. He should be receiving the ball where he is comfortable not passing to average players that we have besides yao. Another point is he has to guard the other point guard and knowing tmac he does not play defense all the time and with players like tony parker, mcgrady will use a lot of his energy on defense. I say find a legit point guard to replace alston and trade away bobby jackson and luther head for a good shooting guard.

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

^^^^^^
    Jazz Fan perhaps?

11. quickballah

quickballah Member

I guess you guys don't realize how hard it is to be a point guard....especially in the NBA. I'm not trying to sound like i played in the NBA but still McGrady as a point guard for 40 minutes a game? The Rockets aren't gonna win a championship like that. TMaC is still a scoring threat these days and you can't pass that up. The Cavs did the same thing with LeBron in his rookie days when they had a starting lineup of Lebron, Ricky Davis, Darius Miles, Big Z, and somebody else and that didn't work. The Hawks traded for Joe Johnson and put him as a point guard and that didnt work... Mcgrady can play point only if it is needed but not as a starting point guard

12. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

You aren't realizing:
    1) Lebron's team was SCRUBS.... yea thats all I have to say about that
    2) JJ was never a PG, he should not have ever been brought as a PG. JJ looks to score first, Tmac doesn't anymore unless he is forced to and I dont think he wants to as much. I think he enjoys getting his teammate involved more often.

13. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

YOU CAN'T MAKE TMAC A PG, HE'S NOT A PG, IF WE GOT TO WAR WITH TMAC AS OUT "PG" WE WILL NEVER GET OUT OF THE 1ST ROUND.

sigh.

14. Possum

Possum Member

WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING!!!!!!!

4 years with him at g/f and we havent gotten out of the first round either. So what is youre point? :confused:

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Well maybe it is not only his fault...Maybe that means we need to upgrate ag pg position?

Just wondering

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

make plays for others - check
    make teammates better - check
    initiate the offense - check

You guys get bogged down with positions and names too often. He does most of the PG work already. To be a successful team you need to have a collection of certain skills and talents. Right now we are laking players who can create for themselves and shoot. I doubt we get a good real PG so it is likely that we get a Jason Terry type guy mascerading as a PG with Tmac still pulling double duties.

17. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

I like the idea of TMac starting at PG, if we can somehow pickup Maggette while retaining Battier, and then start all 3.

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Oh shut up please...if only you could know what are you talking about.

Let me tell you something, two seasons ago Tracy McGrady played at PG position and Rockets hired Rick Adelman who forces his Princeton offense.

Under high motion offense and you should know it there isn't real point guard position, it's more like open basketball.

And...your comment about trading McGrady for some "young stud" is funny.

Even Daryl Morey said that whole team is based on Yao and TMac, I mean even preschool kid knows that.

19. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I never said that we should trade Tmac........what are you smoking?