1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac as the starting point guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jasonemilio, May 11, 2008.

1. sook

sook Rookie

The thing is TMAC at the 2 > TMAC at the 1 i'm not saying this based on which one he would do better in, but the team wouldn't respond well to him at the 1 because we have battier, luther head, chuck hayes, B JAX , deke, and rafer for scoring which isn't reliable at all

2. bucket

bucket Member

That's an interesting thought...

TMac, as sort of a "point forward", if you will.

That's it! TMac is a "point forward"! I have so many ideas for new threads now!

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Sure let T-Mac start PG. As long as Rafer (with current roster) starts SF/SG. Positions are overrated. Just play.

4. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Your dumb, T-Mac was leading the league in scoring before he got injured. And he is also 2nd in scoring in the playoffs this year. Don't tell me he cant score more then 25 points per game. Whens hes 100% healthy, he is one of the top players in the league.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Scoring 25 points per game is one thing, but getting 'em efficiently is another matter. Like I said, he has never shot above 44% during his time here in Houston, so whats the difference with him shooting less and passing more, which often times makes our offense flows the best? Tmac scoring will not always win us ballgames-if you watch Kobe pre-Gasol any, you would know that one person dominating the ball is not always a good thing. Tmac doesn't really hog the ball, but sometimes he is the sole offense when it comes to creating for himself and his teammates, which is partly why I think Tmac focusing more solely on initiating the offense and kicking and driving without running constant Pn'Rolls all the time and wasting time. Also, that way, I think, he can have a flexible option of playing off-ball, which works so well.

Either way, I trust Rick to tweak our team and our playing style accordingly. Thats why I can't wait what we're gonna do this offseason. But I expect less dependence on Tmac doing everything, which is a good thing.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

For the people who prefer that Tmac should be the ONLY playmaker in this team, if Tmac is injured as usual next season, whould should the rockets do? We need another playmaker! In fact, I think Tmac's injury is somehow because he is the only playmaker in this team and always be doubled. We need another pure pg with good shooting percentage to lessen his burden.

7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Unless, we get a good 3rd scorer, we have no reason to experience McGrady at PG.

McGrady is probably one of the best, or if not the best at high post. When he is at high post, the crazy thing about him is, he just shoots over the defender without the need to dribble. Once in a while he would do the step back, but if you guys saw game 3 against Jazz, McGrady was dominating at the high post. He was shooting buckets after buckets, over his defender, without even dribbling.

McGrady is definately a good passer and is probably the best passing wingman. He gets his assists from drives and passing out. He could benefit from that if we get a good third scorer. But because our players are not terrific finishers, McGrady tends to pass inside than outside. If McGrady passes inside, he benefits from better finishers like Landry, Scola and Yao. McGrady exploits that bit when he plays at highposts, draws the double team and drops the ball inside. If he isn't double teamed, he gets that 70% 15-20ft over the defender shot.

8. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

70%? Little overblown don't you think? I think he shoots a good percentage around the high post, but probably around the 45-47% mark, not 70%.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Ye I exaggerated that one. But looking at games where he takes that shot, he is at least a 50% shooter from that area. I think 45-47% is a little too low don't you think? He rarely gets to exploit that area.

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

No its a fact. I remember a diagram found by someone here that showed all of your shooting percentages according the areas of the court, and it showed that Tmac shot at a 43-47% in the high post area (47 in the free area)

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Guess that isn't too far off from 50? :p

12. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Sure. No. Not at all. So when Tmac shoots at 43%, I guess you can round that to 45%. ;)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Holy Cow, applying that methodology makes Rafer look almost average.

;)

DD

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Lol 43% is only 2 percent off 45%, and 47% is only 3% off 50%. So on average McGrady shoots 45% in that position, only 5% off 50%.

15. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

Okay, the man has played SG almost his entire basketball career and you wanna do what?

At this point in his career, his instincts are more honed as an SG which means running around, bumping his man, finding spots on the floor without the ball. A PG's instincts is to read his man, read the defense and find an advantage that can be exploited while dribbling the ball.

This is certainly something he can do at momments during the game but not an entire game and not an entire season. Doing this will have a definite impact on how his teammates behave and team chemistry in the long run. The whole team has to adjust and at this stage of his career... it's better to stick to what you know than to make an adjustment that is as drastic as this is.

16. Bassem

Bassem Member

No, the Rockets need a good PG right now, and I think Alston was getting that job done late in the season. T-Mac needs someone else to facilitate and to run off of, instead of creating everything for himself. With a good PG, the whole team, especially T-Mac, is a lot freer and more efficent.

17. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

In the real business world and in certain real life situations, that kind of "math" can cause you your job or you life + countless others (look up FAILED space missions)

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

In basketball that difference is a missed shot at that spot every 5-10 games.

19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Dude, we all saw what happens when Tmac is responsible for basically playing point. He was too tired to play the 4th, granted he was also responsible for putting up points and playing solid D as well. IF we had other people who were capable of being stars and contributing then MAYBE it would make sense. The fact is is Tmac is an all star scorer, his passing is what elevates his game, but restricting him to that would be ridiculous and quite-frankly it would harm the team, not benefit it. Tmac is a 6'9" 2, not a Shaun Livingston point guard (not that Livingston has Tmac's skill set, just that he is the only giant point guard I can think of). In my opinion, this thread is absolutely ridiculous it is better to have Tmac at the 2 and be capable of passing when he sees things, his mentality should be to score or find the best play to score, but not as point...

20. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

you guys are complaining that tmac are ball hogging, and stagnating the offense, and now you want him to handle the ball even more?

Just look and compare game 1 and game 3. Having another ball handler, gives tmac so much options, where he can initiate the offense at a favorable position. While if you are asking tmac to be the main ball handler, he will gives heat checks every other possession, he gets tired by the 4th quarter, and even more reasons for to bash tmac, when results are not going the rox way.

Tmac as situational PG, yes.
    Tmac as starting PG, no.