1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tito Maddox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jun 27, 2002.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For those of you unfamiliar with Maddox, do not write him off as irrelevant to the Rockets plans.

If Maddox had not gotten cold feet in last year's draft, he would have been a mid-first rounder at WORST. He was the second best PG projected to go in the draft behind J-Will (along with maybe Frank Williams), who also pulled out. That is why so many draft analysts complained that there were no good PGs in the draft (as evidenced by Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley going so low).

Maddox averaged 8 apg in 2001. That's very hard to do in college. At 6-4, he has legit size to play good minutes at the PG position in the NBA. While many of you on this site have taken a liking to Tierre Brown (as have I), there is little doubt in my mind that Maddox is a major upgrade over Brown. Remember, Francis missed major parts of the season with various injuries and migraines. Moochie was forced to play way too many minutes during those stretches. Consider Maddox, if nothing else, as "Francis migraine insurance." He'll provide quality minutes at PG behind Moochie. And, if Mooch gets traded (which I doubt), Maddox is capable of playing 2nd string in the NBA.

Also, I don't understand why so many people on this BBS are confused that we took a PG with this pick. At that point, we were pretty much set at every other position:

SG: Mobley starts; Francis slides over there when Mooch enters the game; and Oscar Torres (who I'm guessing we'll re-sign?) takes whatever minutes are left over.

SF: Rice, Nachbar, Morris, plus the many free agents we'll have to let go (Walt, Langhi) simply because there is no more room left at the position.

PF: With Taylor, Griffin, and KT, our most stocked position.

C: Yao Ming, Cato, Collier. Maddox as 3rd string PG is more helpful to us than a 4th string center.

2. Gascon

Gascon Member

Good points, all of them.

I have more faith than ever in Rudy and CD. I'm really excited about the Maddox pick, even though he has the same last name as my nightmare prom date. :eek:

3. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

Bama lists 14 players. That sounds like too many to me. Sombody will have to likely go. I like the depth though.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

umm, considering what Francis said on Lottery Day, why are you so surprised?

That was easy...hehe.

Anyhow, our offense must have 3 PGs. I lost my moniker on the SF bet, but people forget that part of the bet was further wagered that we must have 3 PGs for me to win. No SF and 3 PGs...lol

Anyhow, Brown was there as a practice dummy. But we still need 3 PGs for practice....otherwise we can't practice the dreaded 3 guard lineup.

Maddox (with that size) is likely not battling for a spot; the battle is between Brown and Torres. Torres will win.

5. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

Thanks for the info on Maddox Bima.

Honestly I looked at this draft pick as a waste of time and someone who could possibly push Tierre to work harder to stay on the roster...pretty sad though how Tierre was at the draft party to celebrate his replacement

6. Houkom

Houkom Member

Might as well trade Moochie instead.

Too bad, He is a friend of "Franchise".

Moochie and KT combined is a real good opportunity to have a quality defensive SF.

A combination of Rice, Nachbar and a good defensive all around SF make this spot complete.

I don't know if Torres or Morris fit this description. I hav a feeling they don't.

But what I'm sure, is I hope that Maddox delivers better than Moochie and takes his spot. This would really be an improvement.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I just think it's cool that we have a guys named "Tito" on our team...

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately Tito had 5.2 turnovers to go with his 8 assists...

9. carlos

carlos Member

Tito shoudl prove to be a second round steal much like Mobely. He provides insurance shoudl Francis not fidn a solution for his migraines.

10. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I still think it's a stretch to burn a draft pick on your third string PG. But if this means that the Rox think that Oscar is the real deal as our backup two guard (I wanted us to get a backup shooting guard at 37), then I'll just have to trust them.

I will say this. I watched Fresno State eliminate Cal in the first round of the tourney a couple years ago. That Fresno State team had Tito, Ely, and Chris Jeffries and won 25 games. Tito absolutely carved up Cal's defense (which wasn't bad that year) with drives and dishes. Lots of alley-oops, lots of kick outs for three pointers. Pretty impressive stuff for a freshman -- even though Tito had a lousy shooting night, he got his teammates involved. Fresno State also played great team defense, led by Tito's completely shutting down Cal's point guard penetration after Cal jumped out to an early lead. Totally flustered Cal's guards.

It was only one game, but I was impressed by Tito and Ely. Fresno State probably could have gone farther if they hadn't drawn Michigan State in the second round.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this makes Moochie moveable. I'm not comfortable giving Maddox the backup slot just yet, but if you can move Moochie, and sign a guy who can play some backup minutes (Tim Hardaway anyone?)

Here's how I see our 15 man roster shaking down, barring trades:
    Francis, Moochie, Maddox
    Mobley, (FA2)
    Rice, Nachbar, Morris
    Griffin, Taylor, Thomas
    Ming, Cato, Collier, (FA1)

FA1 is likely a veteran big man-like Willis, or Scot Williams, or Charles Oakley or the like. Someone with a big body.

FA2 is a backup SG. Possibly Torres?

This team looks to be a couple role players away, IF Maddox is what I think he will be-a PG with defense, handles, and passing. A PERFECT backup for Francis. If that's the case, all we need is a tough defending 2/3 that can at least semi-contain the Bryants, Pierces, and McGradys of the league-maybe even Torres can become that. I think we also need an enforcer type up front. Cato could become that if he wanted it, but I doubt it.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How about Kenny's comment last night..."Moochie Norris would be starting for a lot of NBA teams". If that's true maybe we could move him. I like a lot about him, his character and his cool in the clutch,but he slows down the offense, doesn't get out or finish the break well enough and is too short to play good defense.

With a 7'5" guy in the middle the fast break game is going to become more imortant for the rockets (thank God). Faster players who are good finshers are going to be more imprtant than dribblers.

GP

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Good point Gene, I ain't crazy about Moochie's dribbling style and lack of push ability...

It seems those two areas are tito's game from what I heard.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

You need a consistent spark off the bench. Mooch is the only proven one so he isn't going anywhere.

Also, we are still missing a Mario...a junkyard dawg. I'll be curious to see fills those shoes.

15. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

That was Mo who made that comment.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I saw Kenny make that comment.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Who became enamored with Tierre Brown last year?? Sure, in a sucky year you root for your crappy players to do well, but Borwn really sucked.

Thus, I can see Maddux winning a spot on the team, but can he play SG, too? He may be the PERFECT backup to Steve Francis, but if Moochie is on the team I don't see any third string PG getting very much time at all.

Considering most analysts think he's a steal at that pick, though, it seems okay to me. Picking best available talent is never a bad thing (why did so many people pass on Woods??) and we will just have to find a way to fit him in if necessary come November.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

r-fan--It was Kenny SMITH who made that comment about Mooch.

JayZ--Jim Boylen was just on the radio and said that Maddox at 6-4 / 6-5 could play BOTH guard positions. Great news.

19. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Shandon for Moochie? ;)

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hear the clippers are desperate for a Guard!!!

Rocket RIver