1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans trade the #1 pick to the Rams

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But according to this thread, Wentz was the real deal.

I would somewhat agree more with this deal if there was a clear cut favorite QB (still is a risk regardless), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2. Buck Turgidson

I don't like this as a Texans fan and a despiser of the Nashville football team.

Looks to be a very, very good trade for Tenn, they can fill a ton of talent-gaps with those picks.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Fisher said today that Wentz would win a superbowl. That's a tell if you ask me.

He also said, "you know me, I'm defensive guy." That doesn't lead me to believe he will ask for defense, but it does sound like his response to the GM when asked about the trade/pick. Bad sign. I think he's being forced into this pick by someone.

4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Regardless of whether it's Goff or Wentz I applaud the Rams for being aggressive and taking advantage of the opportunity.

If the next Elway or Manning were available the Titans would not make the trade. They would draft him and trade Mariota to the 49ers.

Out of curiosity what would you do if you were the Rams GM? You seem to be rather risk averse when it comes to the QB position.

5. blackistan

blackistan Member

Seriously...but then again we have Rick Smith running our squad along with the McNair as our owner who don't take risks until this year because they put off making a qb #1 priority

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think at this point we'll see trades like this more and more. The talent pool of QBs is waning thin. Spread offenses have made life miserable for NFL talent scouts and coaching staffs trying to identify QB prospects who will be able to forget everything they learned running mickey mouse offense and have the ability to learn how to actually read defenses and make pre-snap adjustments.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's just never been an example of this sort of trade working out... ever. There's never been an NFL team that wins with just their QB.... ever (whereas there are examples of teams winning it all despite their QB).

If that makes me risk averse, so be it. I also believe that its very hard to succeed as a QB in this league... even moreso when you're not highly thought of as a slam dunk/for-sure prospect (which neither of these guys are). There's a ton of variables as to why some QB's expected to succeed do, and why most fail (in addition to the fact that some guys just can't make the necessary adjustments from college to the pro game... regardless of how fast, strong, or agile they are).

The Rams want to make a short-sighted splash due to their relocation... and they're likely to sell out in droves regardless of actual performance on the field, so might as well get some names/faces of the franchise to market. Very much the same logic that had the Texans taking David Carr #1 overall, prior to them having any sort of O-line or foundation for him to grow into.

#87 Nick, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its going to actually take one of these trades *working* before it becomes the thing to do.

I don't think NFL scouts have magically forgotten why some QB's succeed and why most don't (despite them continuing to consider guys like Manziel).

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm a Rams fan and I hate this. O-line is still bad. Receivers are average at best. And while Wentz might be good, he's likely not good enough to right the ship along. Definitely not worth all those draft picks.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Falcons traded up for Vick in 2001 and it worked out pretty well until Vick decided to derail his career with dog fighting. The Chargers end up with Tomlinson and then select Drew Brees in the 2nd round, but then they let Brees walk after trading down with the Giants to end up with Phillip Rivers in 04. The Giants gave up their 2005 1st round pick which turned out to be Shawne Merriman to SD, but Eli eventually leads them to 2 titles. I'd say that trade worked out pretty well for both franchises in hindsight.

The allure of a franchise QB is why a guy like Manziel still goes in the first round, whereas if he had played any other position he would have been a 4th rounder at best.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not quite the ransom deals I was talking about.... those mainly consisted of high pick swaps. Additionally, Vick, Eli AND Rivers were all more touted prospects than what is going in this draft, and none of those teams had to mortgage years of picks that affected possible foundation/surrounding parts team building.

And its not exactly working out. Same goes for the QB's they rushed to extend (Kapernick, Tannehill). The Broncos win it all despite their QB play. There very well could be more patience applied when it comes to reaching for QB's early. There also needs to be more development time employed (something routinely done in the 80's/90's)... most of these guys are not ready for the NFL from day one.

Don't confuse this with minimizing the importance of the QB position... I just don't see the need for acting out of desperation (hell, there's been more low first/non-first round picks starting in the NFL now than in most other eras).

#91 Nick, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Anytime you trade up to #1 you're giving up a ****load. That Giants team was patching a hole with Kurt Warner, but the offensive line was so bad he couldn't even get rid of the ball most of the time.

It is pretty much a given that a team either needs an elite QB or an elite defense to make it to the Super Bowl. The Rams aren't really set up to have either, so I don't know why they do this deal to be honest. I agree that it is pretty desperate move and most likely driven by the need to have a "face" for the new city.

Whoever they pick will probably be the good one though, as Cleveland is sure to get the bust at #2.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed.

What I don't understand is, why wouldn't the Rams try for another pick in the top 10? Before the trade it was:

1. Los Angeles Rams (7-9) (Titans, before)
    2. Cleveland Browns (3-13)
    3. San Diego Chargers (4-12)
    4. Dallas Cowboys (4-12)
    5. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)
    6. Baltimore Ravens (5-11)
    7. San Francisco 49ers (5-11)
    8. Philadelphia Eagles (7-9)
    9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-10)
    10. New York Giants (6-10)

In looking at that list, who would select a QB? Cleveland and Philly. San Fran if Kaep left, maybe Dallas, maybe San Diego. But the rest of the teams either have a veteran QB or a solid up-and-coming QB.

Rams probably could have slid into the top 5 without having to give up a king's ransom.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tough to say. Trades like this are unbelievably risky and think you'd need a certain type of owner or circumstance to make it. Snyder is one of those types of owners and the Rams moving to LA is one of the circumstances. Just too sporadic to say we'll see more and more IMO.

But if Goff goes #1 and he works out, you could be right. Mariota and Goff's success will go a long way for spread QBs coming out of college. But for now, they are still pretty big risks which makes these types of trades too risky for the conventional team.

15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

One aspect that is lost in all the frenzied criticism of the Rams is that this move has financial reasoning as well as personnel. The Rams are relocating back to LA and have a billion dollar stadium under construction in Inglewood. They need a big facelift and PR campaign to push the team in the 2nd biggest market in the country where the the Lakers and Dodgers are king.

Sure, it's a huge risk giving up so many draft picks, but knowing the new stadium won't be ready until 2019, that gives the Rams 3 seasons until the move is technically complete. That's enough time to keep fans interested in the development of Wentz or Goff and if neither pans out, then the Rams are back at the drawing board with a new stadium ready and an opportunity to fleece the fan base once again with a "promised rebuild" as those fans lineup to sit in what is going to be the most expensive stadium in the league - already dubbed "NFL Disney World."

The NFL is a business first and this was a pure business move so I don't blame the Rams for making it. Although, I wished they had made it with any team but the freaking Titans.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep. Same thing the Texans felt they had to do when they selected Carr over Peppers.

While that was a terrible short sighted decision, can't say it really hurt the Texans financially (as they've still yet to not sellout a game).

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/MikeSilver">@MikeSilver</a> says Jared Goff was far and away their No.1 QB, but RGIII impressed Hue Jackson/<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash">#Browns</a> so much they decided not to go for No.1</p>&mdash; Keith Britton (@KeithBritton86) <a href="https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/730838432738607106">May 12, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bob McNair

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of which we should be thankful.