1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans trade the #1 pick to the Rams

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2016.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is a good point I think deserves emphasizing.

I would much, MUCH rather throw the money we did at Osweiler than throw 6+ draft picks at our QB problem like the Rams just did.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not HOF, just him or whoever they pick becoming a franchise QB would be enough. The Redskins reached on what ended up to be a bust QB, did the Rams really benefit THAT much from it? I mean, even if the Titans "win" this trade, if several years down the line they are still a bad football team, no one is going to care.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yep. Same here.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But the key is that it did set the Redskins back. Even with their playoff appearance, they have very little depth and a pretty mediocre core... things that would have been boosted by having their picks back.

Not to mention, they're paying their 3rd round pick (from the same year) a franchise-tag induced QB salary next year of $20 million.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd never advocate for anyone trading all the way up to #1 for a QB, the price tag is simply too high. I was just saying that for all we know, the Titans will draft people who won't make a difference with the picks they get and if RG3 lived up to the hype, the Redskins would be pretty happy right now so it's not a guarantee that this was a good deal for the Titans.

I do get why they did it though. There's no top tier talent in this draft that they can't pass up and they have a lot of holes on their roster that need fixing. With a good draft, and Mariota living up to what some people think is his potential, they could contend for the top spot in the AFC South fairly soon.

6. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I'm betting they pick Goff since he's from Cal for more of the LA vibe. Wonder how long Keenum holds on to the starter job.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

You make a good point, but that clearly isn't the way the Rams are viewing it, because they just gave up a fortune for a QB. I was commenting on why the Rams were giving up so much for the number one pick. From their point view they don't want to be one of the teams that are scrambling to find a QB. The Rams didn't want to go forward with a Mark Sanchez or Brian Hoyer caliber QB. I'm not saying what the Rams did was the best move, it may or may not be a good move. But, I understand why they did it.

I will say this. This makes me feel better about the Texans signing of Osweiler. All the Texans gave up was money, and I think Osweiler has as good a chance of becoming a franchise QB as Wentz.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yup, and I really wonder about Wentz. If he was in a normal FBS school me probably never would have hear of him. I'm very curious to see how his game translates to the pro level

9. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I do not like this at all.

Classy move by Fisher delaying the announcement.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think it was worth it. Those picks are great for building a team however you can't build around no qb.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Most draft picks don't end up doing anything. THe Redskins got one playoff appearance out of it. What exactly did the Rams get?

12. Major

Major Member

Exactly. The "consensus" is irrelevant. If there is a player at #1 that they think can reshape their franchise, and they don't think he would be available later on, then it makes perfect sense to make the move.

St. Louis was permanently in 8-8 mode. They needed to change that up. Either the move works out and they become good, or the move doesn't and they suck and have a chance at better picks in the future.

13. Major

Major Member

Also exactly true - depth is irrelevant if you don't have the stars to go with it. Stars are harder to acquire, so the focus should be on that first and then building depth around those pieces.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Can work both ways really. Seattle's 2010 and 2011 classes were unbelievable, obviously getting Wilson in 2012 put them over the top but no way they go to back to back SBs without the key players they got the 2 drafts before.

Looking at a few other good classes, that is obviously what the Titans and Rams (in RG3) trade are looking for. Execution is a different story but a good draft class, like a star player, can change everything.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...st-nfl-draft-classes-by-team-of-last-10-years

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Standard set for <a href="https://twitter.com/Titans">@Titans</a> now. Last 3 teams with at least 6 picks in 1st 76 all reached Super Bowl within 5 years: 91 Boys, 82 Pats, 75 Rams</p>— trey wingo (@wingoz) <a href="https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/720652376181510144">April 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo">@ESPNStatsInfo</a>'s list of QBs acquired via trades into the top-5 since 1990: RG3, Sanchize, Mike Vick, Ryan Leaf, Kerry Collins, Jeff George</p>— Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) <a href="https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/720652971080425472">April 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So Wentz or Goff?<br><br>How about a comparison by route thrown: <a href="https://t.co/oSrj9T5Cyp">pic.twitter.com/oSrj9T5Cyp</a></p>&mdash; Neil Hornsby (@PFF_Neil) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF_Neil/status/720645406833684481">April 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Bigger picture:

[​IMG]

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There are 3 factors that matter:

1) How good the Rams QB is
    2) How much the Rams struggle/succeed next year
    3) How well the Titans draft

All 3 are entirely unknowns, but I think both teams made moves that make sense for their franchises. The Rams need a QB, and Wentz is very good (though I'm not sure they don't take Goff). The Titans need help almost everywhere, and this should give them depth and if lucky, a pro-bowler or 2. They also have the flexibility to make more moves if they want.

19. Major

Major Member

Absolutely true - but Seattle was extremely lucky to fall into Wilson. Basically, they were able to identify and acquire a surprise star QB that was passed on 74 times. That's great when it happens, but it also requires an immense amount of luck. Their intended plan that year was to put their their franchise in the hands of Matt Flynn and hope Wilson panned out into something reasonable down the road. If they thought he was going to be as good as he is, they draft him in the 1st round because there's no way you want to risk another team taking him before your next pick.

20. Marteen

Marteen Member

I'm conflicted here. Not sure if I'm sad that the Titans are potentially rebuilding their team or a bit excited that the AFC South will have a great rivalry for years to come. Meanwhile the Colts..