1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans trade the #1 pick to the Rams

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I disagree with both of you. Scouts are absolutely in love with Carson Wentz. The only thing keeping him from being the type of prospect with hype like Luck had is that people still aren't sure they can believe it because he was at a small school. I mean it's still a massive haul to give up for a risky pick, but there is always risk with QBs. I don't blame LA at all for doing this. Wentz is a franchise QB prospect.

Because there was no QB that anyone was in love with. Teams trade up with ransom offers for a quarterback.

2. Remix

Remix Member

Nice get for the Titans but they still have to do something with the picks. The Rams did squat with all the pick they got from the RG3 trade

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

But what did they really give up? The 2ND rounders are more likely to be the next Brooks Reed and Ben Tate than any franchise trajectory changing players. There's what a 10% chance a 3rd rounder amounts to anything?

This trade was done under the assumption that Wentz joins Gurley and Donald as the faces of the franchise.

And they don't need to "win" the trade they just need Wentz to be successful.

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

huge haul for the titans. two 1st, two 2nds and two 3rd rounders? wow. whoever they take better pan out and this will set them back a few.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If the Rams think there's a consensus #1 overall pick, that's all that matters.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Rams gave up a lot, but I can't blame them. If you don't have a QB, you're not winning a Super Bowl. If the Rams are convinced that Wentz will be a franchise QB, then I can't blame them for making the trade.

No one will know if this is a good or bad trade for two or three years. Maybe the Rams saw how Denver is scrambling to find a QB, and how very average journeyman QB's are getting paid a fortune, and they just decided to go all in on Wentz. Gotta have a QB.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Two possible reasons... (1) Clowney was not that attractive as a first pick to other teams and / or (2) the possibility of a franchise QB to build around is much more attractive that the possibility to build around a franchise defensive lineman.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, its definitely Wentz then? If they believe he's for sure it... then you can understand the price they paid. If there's still consideration for Goff, and they're not sure which one they'll take, then I stand by my original premise.

Nobody is going to blame LA for doing anything... until it doesn't work out. Margin for error has basically vanished. Hard to say if there's ever been an example of teams that went on to succeed after giving up king's ransoms in drafts (Maybe the Rams when they traded for Pace... but it took Kurt Warner coming out of nowhere to be a HOF QB for that to work out).

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And Ricky Wiliams... and Ki-Jana Carter... and Orlando Pace...

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh? Wouldn't the opposite be true if they were watching Denver? They just saw a team win a SB with an elite defense (which Fisher is capable of constructing) and mediocre QB play.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even then... will they have enough around him? Do they have the right coaching staff there? What's their cap situation?

A lot more goes into *winning* then simply having the QB... and like I asked earlier, is it for sure Wentz?

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I feel like this is a really weak draft for skill positions, especially when you look at the talent that will be coming out next year. The best QB prospect is from North Dakota State. None of the WRs really impress me.

I think the Titans best move here is getting the extra first rounders next year where they will be in position to grab some legit studs. This draft is all about finding some quality players to fill in holes.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Trading down is almost always the best option in any draft.

Once every 10 years there's a virtual can't-miss guy like Luck, Manning, Pace, Long, Jackson, Elway, etc.

Rams are teh dumb, but they're trying to sell tickets to a new fan base, so I get it.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. To justify a trade like the Rams just made, you have to come away with a surefire stud like one of those guys.

Call me crazy...but I don't see Carson Wentz or Jared Goff becoming that. Maybe they do, but the odds are heavily against it.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Asking the question again... has a ransom-for-playerX trade ever really worked for the team giving up all the picks? I suppose the Orlando Pace trade worked for the Rams, (albeit only when they found a arena-league/grocery sacker QB off the street that turned into a HOFer).

Likewise, the ransom the Titans received also doesn't guarantee success.... but it certainly won't make them worse, and is their best chance to escape the embarrassing cycle/rut they're currently immersed in (still not sure they have the right GM/coach regime in place... but they certainly made that position more attractive to potential suitors).

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Even the Rams haul from the RG3 trade isn't that impressive in hindsight though. Jenkins was the best pick but now he's in New York. Greg Robinson has been a huge bust.

It definitely wasn't a Herschel Walker trade fleece.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

In terms of on-paper-value (i.e. the net worth of the selection slots), the Rams won it going away.

In terms of realized-value (i.e. what the teams made out of the picks they got), it was virtually a wash.

The Rams underachieved on most of their picks, and while Griffin was a flameout, he did give Washington one electric playoff season (while the Rams are still mediocre as ever).

#37 DonnyMost, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As a Texans fan this doesn't concern or bother me at all, because we have Brock. He's so sexy and suave. Brock and JJ ... swoon :eek:

In all seriousness, great haul for the Titans. Even more concerning is the fact that this current GM they have might actually be competent. So not only do they have all these picks... but someone competent selecting the players. YIKES!

I've been a Mariota fan, but at this point I guess I've just got to root for him sucking.

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What has to occur for this trade to be a success for the Rams?

Wentz becomes a hall of fame, franchise QB who wins at least one Super Bowl?

The odds of that are - ain't happenin bro.

20. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I don't know:mad: