1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[$Tip Jar Bet]Marcus vs. Kawhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 26, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Your bolded statement doesn't even make any sense. If you never displayed it in college, you're expected to "rekindle" it at the NBA level vs better competition and defense?

The bet would be more interesting if you bet about their careers. Rookie of the Year votes depend on your situation, and if your team sucks enough for rookies to play a lot. (e.g Landry Fields got more ROY votes than Monroe, and nobody in their right mind thinks Fields is a better player than Monroe).

Leonard may not get to play more than 20 minutes a game b/c the Spurs are still sucking on their last straw as a contender, while Morris will get ample time since we are trying to stay "mediocre."

Again, long-term, I think Leonard will have a better career in terms of impact. Both are complimentary players at their best anyways.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am tired of repeating myself which is why I said do your own research. In college was the first time he has played PF and in the post in his life. Prior to the past 3 years he has been exclusively a wing player growing up. I doubt that he just all of a sudden forgot those skills.

In that case this should suit your tastes:

I suggest reading through the thread before replying again.

3. t_mac1

You may be tired of repeating yourself, but again, you don't suddenly "rekindle" those skills after you haven't done them at all in college. He played in college for 3 years, and he didn't do any playmaking. There must be a reason they played him that style in college. If you're a playmaker, you're a playmaker. Teams don't change who you are/style of play if that is what you're good/great at, at any level of basketball. Tracy McGrady was a playmaker in HS, he became a playmaker at the NBA level immediately when he was on the court even in his first few years in Toronto, no matter how small his role was. Good coaches play you according to your talents, and I'm sure Kansas saw enough of him to know what Morris' strengths are.

Ok, I'll take that bet. I'm not as rich, but I will put in these bets (and I would LOVE to be proven wrong b/c that means the Rockets are benefiting)
    1) $100 if Morris IS the best player on our team when we are a contender (NOT happening; he'll be at best a 3rd option on a contender)--I suggest you put a bet on this too since you are so sure that he'll be the best player on our team when we do become a contender.
    2) $100 if Morris gets more all-star teams over their careers than Leonard (both are complimentary players at best so I won't be surprised of both gets zero nods)
    3) $100 if Morris has the better career

Love bets. I just don't like the ROY bet b/c Morris will get way more PT to prove himself. Leonard won't really show himself as a basketball player until Year 2-3.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Two posters who love arguing for the sake of arguing (though one is infinitely a better poster than the other). This should be good.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Since it is plainly obvious that you have never seen him play a game in your life, and just pulling this stuff out of your ass, I am really confused at how you can make any projections at all. A few youtube clips, I'm guessing. You obviously have questions. I suggest you go find those answers out yourself, because for anyone who has ever seen him play or followed KU, those things are obvious. It's one thing if you genuinely want to find out about our new player. But to act like you know, and try to bet me on it, is just dumb.

How the hell are you going to objectively judge who was the best player on the team? I think Lowry was the best player last year. Some people think Martin.

How the hell are you going to objectively judge who had the better career?

Again, I'm not sure where you are from, but when I make bets I would at least like to be able to tell for sure who actually won. Instead of having the other guy eventually weasel his way out of it.

#65 CXbby, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hey, that's what my girlfriend says about me. I guess she was right. :(

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Most of the small forwards in the league do not have the playmaking ability. Guys like LeBron, T-Mac, Hill, or Odom have great playmaking ability at the forward spot. Since it's is more of a point guard skill, they have been labeled by fans and media as "point forwards" to indicate a hybrid position of a PG and a forward.

Kawhi is not a playmaker either. His ball handling skills are even worse. His perimeter game is even worse than Morris.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Also, why the hell would I want to take this bet?

1. It has absolutely nothing to do with Leonard. Read the title of the thread.

2. I would have to root AGAINST the Rockets getting another star player through trade. If we somehow get Dwight Howard, that doesn't mean all of a sudden Morris is a lesser player or incapable of leading the team. But he wouldn't be the best player on the team anymore.

Your suggestions for bets not only don't make sense as bets themselves(hard to prove who is right), they have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Not to mention Morris IS a playmaker. His coach calls him the best passer on the team, even though he was playing out of position at PF and C. Playing at SF, he would have much more of an opportunity to take advantage and demonstrate that skillset of his.

But nevermind that. I'm done with this guy, why would I want to explain to him this stuff when he is trying to bet me without a clue. By all means, Clutch should thank me.

10. guoxiangsu

guoxiangsu Member

i love kawhi moreļ¼Œjust waiting for the fact in the future

11. herro

herro Member

lololololololol hi5

12. raining threes

I wont take that bet because there's no way I can root against MM. He plays for my favorite team and I wantto see him do as well as possible.

However since MM should get more playing time since if he's as good as you say he is he should be able to beat out Bud for plenty of mins. So MM should put up better numbers than Leonard who will be playing with Duncan/Manu/Parker. I mean even Gary Neal should be able to take mins from Leonard.

While I do think MM has a chance to be a really good player. Something bothers me that KU got knocked out of the tourney by low seeds both yrs the Morris brothers were there. If they were truly great players that wouldn't have happened. Much less 2 yrs in a row.

Let the patting yourself on the back continue.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

CX,

So your only belief that this guy is a SF is that he played one in High School? That is what you are basing your theory on.....ok.....

Good luck with that.

DD

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I expect Kawhi Leonard to do better than Marcus Morris based on one simple fact: I trust San Antonio's talent evaluators more than our own. :( That being said, I don't have enough faith in that assessment to bet $100 against you.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

DD,

It's based on the fact that he has played SF for every year of his basketball life, aside from the last 3.

It's based on the skillset that he demonstrates on the floor.

It's confirmed by guys who have worked him out and seen plenty of him. Plenty more than you.

It's confirmed by the team that actually drafted him, saying he can play the SF, and that his upside is at the SF.

You see DD, I don't need your "good luck", because unlike some people who simply throw **** against the wall and hope they stick:

"Kevin Martin is a net zero fool's gold"

"Kyle Lowry is a career backup"

"Aaron Brooks is Tony Parker"

"Trading Budinger for a top 5 pick is TOO RISKY"

"Jordan Hill is THE MAN"

"The Art of Making a Deal- what Dmorey can learn from DD"

I actually base my observations on facts. Not fantasies. And actually have people who know wtf they are talking about agree with me. Like Morey and Thorpe.

CX

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If you're 6'8" and play SF in high school, you're probably a SF. Most 6'8" guys play center in high school.

17. t_mac1

Do you know how insane you're sounding? Try playing one way for 3 years at a high level, and suddenly "rekindle" that "other" skill. This isn't like football where you can play QB in college, and convert to another position in the NFL.

I have never heard anybody who has played the game of basketball uses your logic: "Hey he used to do that in HS, but didn't do that in college, let's try to use those skills he used in HS." Seriously?

I'll admit I don't watch him like you do, but I have seen 3-4 games of his at KU in his junior year. And that's it. The most recent game was the one vs UT. And yes, I've watched a bajillion of his youtube clips since we drafted him. But he left just enough of an impression for me to "predict" how he'll pan out--as all we can do is predict.

It's not like ALL scouts/GMs/NBA heads are saying things about Morris that you are saying. I guess they are just pulling crap out of their heads too right?

The best player is a guy who had the most impact. That was Lowry. Lowry's emergence and strong play was the reason we started winning games more consistently, after AB's depature. Kmart had a big role on the team before Lowry's emergence, and we didn't play very well.

How the hell are you going to judge objectively who had a better career? By seeing who has a better impact in the L (a combination of winning, all-stars, opinions by NBA heads/fans...--the way many use to judge players in general). Opinions may not be shared by all, but in general, there is usually a majority in every comparison in who is the better player.

Only the very good ones have playmaking abilities. Playmaking isn't just creating plays at the "point forward" position only. KG as a PF in his prime was a great playmaker. Look at KD. The guy has been in the league for 3 years, and his playmaking is still below average, and he's an elite player. It's a very hard skill to possess, and either you have it or you don't. You don't just suddenly "recapture" it.

I never said Kawhi is a playmaker. In fact, his bread and butter in this L will be all defense. He'll make a name for himself by being a shut-down defender in this league, with decent offense in his prime. Like I said, you can make a comparison to a stronger/better version of Bruce Bowen with above average offense in his prime (or possibly even Gerald Wallace).

Morris and Leonard are completely different players, who will impact the game in completely different ways.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Hey DD,

Why are you in this thread, besides just to troll?

Are you here to bet?

I'll amend it especially tailored for you:

If Morris gets less Rookie of the Year votes than Leonard, I will refrain from posting on Clutchfans for one year.

Take the bet. Or at least get on topic and tell me Leonard is the better player. Otherwise, this type of baiting is exactly what got you banned in the first place.

19. DaDakota

LOL - nice try.....taking things out of context is fun.

So, you are basing your opinion of him on his HIGHSCHOOL career and what a few people have said that he can do, Thorpe etc.....and they are about as right as you or I.

And yes, you are just pissing into the wind just like anyone else....there are no FACTS as you say, there are only assumptions......and yours here is just a guess by you.

Hey, it's cool, just call it like it is....you have no magic crystal, you just like the guy, I understand what that is like, I have liked several great players and some that didn't pan out.

No fear in putting yourself out there....it is fun....good luck.....it will be tossed back at you though......but I am sure you are not afraid of that.....

DD

20. DaDakota

LOL - this is not at all what got me in trouble, what you are doing is what got me in trouble, spamming the board over and over, and posting a ton in threads, and arguing with several people at once.

Your posting style has been trending towards my old style lately....

No worries CX, I like that you believe in the guy, I hope you are right, that would be great for the Rockets......but the "Hey look at me"ness of your posts lately has been noticed, I am just not afraid to call you out on it.

DD