1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tinted car windows may have to lighten up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aeroman10, Apr 3, 2009.

1. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

This is BS. The front windows are already regulated which should be good enough. Why does the govt. care if the rear windows are dark or not? These politicians need to deal with other more important issues and stop wasting time on things like window tint. I hope this crap does not pass the House vote.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090402_jj_window-tinting-compliance.979cf48f.html

2. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Who cares? If you're not hiding something it shouldn't matter.

1 person likes this.
  3. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Its not about hiding anything. I want to have dark windows.
    There are several reasons...it keeps the car much cooler, and it just looks better.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

My cousin has illegal tint on his SUV. It looks good and it definitely keeps his vehicle cooler than most during the hot parts of they year but man does it suck driving that thing at night.

5. TheBigAristotle

Stop trafficking drugs. Problem solved.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

The reason behind it is because of cops. They can't see what's going on in the vehicle through the tint.

They can't see if someone is about to blow them away, etc. (or count how many peeps in the car).

7. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

precisely.

people b**** about everything. :rolleyes:

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

texas is more relaxed about the law already than a lot of other states (so they're kinda just catching up with this). I had my car tinted when i lived in houston.. already received 2 tickets for it out here in VA. Got one dismissed, paid for the recent one. (Even if I get 1 more, it'll still be cheaper to pay for 2 than to take the old stuff off and get new tint put on..

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Keeping my 10%, although I only have two windows since it's a two seater. I will also keep the front license plate off.

I'm a rollin' gangsta.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have to chuckle at the tint guy talking about a visible nightmare being caused by "all the glare coming through". Yeah, because before we were tinting cars, people were flying off the road. I'm guessing most cars on the road right now have 30-35% aftermarket tint anyway. What's odd is it seems to be saying the rear windows can be tinted whatever they want. I've always wondered why that's allowed since most cops stop cars from behind (I would guess). :confused:

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What about cars that already have dark tint ?

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well it's not supposed to have less than 25% transmittance as it its. Usually they don't force people to go back and re-do it (they've changed these laws a few times), but I'm not sure in this case. I wouldn't think they'd make people go back and change tints, but if they stop you, you better hope it's 25% or more at least. Hehe.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^ I just got the legal limit all around - so the back window is really dark.

14. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

You can pull your windows down if you get pulled over, and the copy will never question it. Then again its easier for me since I only have two windows.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There is no requirement for the rear window if you have both side mirrors - you can have limo tint back there. The only thing you have to make sure is that the tint + the window allows more than the required light transmittance, not just that the tint allows the required light transmittance.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was reading the following thread on a tint forum stating the proposed change was modified after people griping :

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51200

But the text seems to still say 25% here :

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB589

Text of the law is here : http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=SB589

I don't know what's going on, so either I'm reading it wrong or the text hasn't been updated (I can't stand reading legal/congressional mumbo jumbo). Here's the accompanying House bill : http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HB4523

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You maybe being sarcastic but . . .this is generally .. . .
    The Fascist's Answer to all things that invade on individual rights

Rocket River

18. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I thought the legal limit was 35% in Texas? That's what the tint guy told me when I got my 25%. I feel really uncool right now.

19. Ari

Ari Member

I don't mind re-doing it to comply with the new laws, but if the state House is going to pass these changes then they need to send each Texas resident a check for $100 to help them replace their existing tint job with a new one.

Either that or they need to except people who complied with previous laws. Otherwise it does not make much sense.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think it used to be. A lot of tint places don't keep up with law changes. But look on the bright side - if you have 25% tint, then that combined with the existing tint in your windows may bring it below what's legal and you can feel cool again!

You want to be even more confused? That's what the state law says, but to pass inspection you have to only be over 20% light transmittance. lol.