1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tinman & HD know-it-alls] Help me with my HDTV hook up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, May 3, 2008.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I know there are a million HDTV threads, including my own, but I figured this was specific enough to warrant its own thread.

So I got my mom's HDTV hooked up through Comcast. The TV itself is a Sony Wega and is about 7 years old. According to the back of the TV and its literature, the TV is capable of 480i, 480p, and 1080i via component cables. No option for 720 at all (I think), which is why I wasn't surprised when the TV picture said 480i on the HD channels. I wasn't surprised because I thought the signals were only broadcast in 720, which this TV apparently won't do. The picture is....all right. Nothing grand at 480i.

So I'm at a friends house last night, and his TV said that what I was watching 1080i resolution. Granted, he has a really nice, really new Samsung, but mom's TV says 1080i, so....shouldn't I be able to watch HDTV in 1080i?

There is a button on the remote that says "DRC Mode" that, when pressed, says "progressive" or "interlaced" on the screen. I can't figure out what the hell this does, because the screen doesn't change. There doesn't appear to be anything useful on the on-screen TV menu. The manuals for the TV and the cable box aren't very helpful, and neither is teh internets.

So what gives? I've got it all hooked up via component cables and, near as I can tell, everything is as it should be.

Help. Me. Please.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Motorola or Scientific Atlanta box?

3. Lynus302

Scientific Atlanta. I suppose it makes a difference, otherwise you wouldn't have asked....what's the deal?

4. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

You might have to set up the cable box to allow for 1080i. Turn the cable box off and press the 'guide' and 'info' button at the same time. You can go through the auto set up or the advanced one and just make sure only 1080i is selected.

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

^that

6. Lynus302

Okay, I did that and....nothing happened. Well, it allowed for 480p whereas before I was only getting 480i, so I guess that's an improvement, but I can't get 1080i at all. I can see 1080i and select it, but the channels only come in in 480p.

This is frustrating.

7. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

What do you mean you can 'see 1080i'. Are you sure you're going to the HD channels and that you have them ordered the HD package, for Comcast its like channels 283-313.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't worry about the DRC mode. its just a picture adjustment (i have a sony too). you need to control the output via the cable box.

use the component video out from the box to the tv.
    the red/blue/green to red/blue/green

the thing that might confuse you is there is also another red/white, that's for audio

1080i is where you want to set it. don't worry about the 720p stuff.

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I thought hdmi cables > component?

10. Lynus302

What I mean is in the setup mode for the output from the cable box, it shows the various resolutions and says something to the effect of "This screen is 1080i. If you can see it and want to save it, press the 'select' button."

And yes, I'm sure I'm going to the right channels.

Yeah, I've got all that. Red/blue/green to red/blue/green, red and white audio cables, etc. I promise you and everyone else that, as far as the cables go, this is hooked up correctly.

They are; this TV doesn't support HDMI.

I was talking to a friend of mine who knows a ton about this stuff. I was drunk, so I don't remember the conversation too well, but he basically said Sony made claims regarding some of their older HD TVs that they couldn't back up. In other words, just because the TV says it can do 1080i, it really can't. Something to that effect. Damn the demon alcohol!

11. tinman

Supporting Member

yes but his tv is before hdmi

12. tinman

Supporting Member

post the model number of your tv

13. Lynus302

Sony FD Trinitron Wega
    Model Number: KV-32HS20

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Gotcha. Thanks.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

heres the manual
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=KV32HS20

if you are 100% sure you are connected correctly, then everything you need to do is setting up the box.

make sure you have a HD-BOX and if worse case, have them come over and set it up for you.

16. Lynus302