1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Timothy Redding

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fegwu, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

First, can we skip him in the rotation since we have a day off on Monday?

Secondly, what is his trade value? Can we get a descent Bull pen guy for him......say use him to get Urbina or someone of that calibre?

And most importantly, can we move him to our bull pen and pray he turns out like Lidge - and then move Pete Monroe or Carlos or the Knuckler back into the rotation?

I ask all of this because I am ready to throw in the towel on this guy (Tim). I am not interested anymore to accept his bad with his rare good. He does not have the make IMO to even be a descent 5th starter. He is not smart and he cannot (IMO) succeed as an Astro or give us tangible output worthy of keeping his spot in his rotation.

Everytime the other starters step out to the mound, I have confidence that we have a chance (regardless of how much the struggle). But in Timothy's case, I just PRAY, BEG and HOPE he gives us a chance up to the 4th inning and not demoralize the hitters.

This experient should end now. He does not deserve to have one more start on this team. We are 7 games back and we cannot afford to go into anymore games handycapped. We can only run off a series of "series wins" if we give ourselves a chance with every start. We also need winning streaks as well and Tim presence in the starting lineup will ensure it does not happen.

I am tired of Tim and I am ready to move on. If nothing is done I might be do something drastic - take a second job (tidious one for that matter) or take up an evening hobby while I wait for the football and basketball season.

Do something Jimy-Hun.

2. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I tend to agree about Tim. He has the tools, but perhaps Houston is not in his future. He might have a chance to succeed elsewhere.

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

You do know the Ranger average around 8 runs per game at home, right?

Yes, Tim definitely has his share of bad starts, but he does show he can be a good pitcher. It might be hard to believe, but he's only given up more than 6 runs in a game three times this year. He's had 4 games with 1 or NONE and another 4 starts with 2-3 runs. Everyone is quick to remember his bad starts and not the good ones. He's better than anyone else we got going now because they or either too young and inexperience or injured. Hernandez, much as I like 'em, is barely getting over 80 on his fastball and that's not gonna cut it.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Not hard to believe considering that he rarely lasts past the 4th inning...

5. Fegwu

thank you.

The issue is effectiveness and giving our team a chance. We do not have the luxury now to mess around waiting for Timmy to catch up or wake up. We have a great offensive team (at least on paper) now that can easily get frustrated easily as well. We need every pitcher to give us a fighting chance every given start.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure affected Roy O. today.

Redding got the most run support of any pitcher in this series. Miller could barely find the plate, but still managed to limit the damage, we just couldn't hit freaking Kenny Rogers.

I'm ready to try Redding coming out of the pen- let him disperse his stuff in 1-2 inning stretches, he may actually be a great setup-man. Use Munro in the 5 hole for now, and see what Carlos, Duckworth, or Fernandez can do in a couple months.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree with most of what you said, Nike, I think Duckworth has been given ample opportunity to show us what he can do.

8. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

That actually isn't a bad idea about bringin' him outa the pen, but I'd be really worried about him blowing close games, haha. Least if he starts and messed up we'd have time to come back. I'm not totally defending him, but I still think he can be a good pitcher for the Astros.

9. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

the guy is goin to triple AAA.....im sure they'll give him one more shot, but that's it. The question is who'll replace him in the rotation.......Everyone climb aboard the Pete Munro band wagon!!

10. Fegwu

it is about time.

11. Buck Turgidson

Yep. He's easily the most frustrating Astro pitcher since Chris Holt.

12. kevwun

kevwun Member

Lidge didn't end up in the bullpen because he was ineffective as a starter. He was moved because his arm kept breaking down under strain of the innings he was throwing as a starter. If Lidge had never had those arm problems, he would have made a hell of a starting pitcher. He had a filthy curveball before his arm troubles forced him to stop throwing it. Along with his slider and fastball, he would have had 3 above average big league pitches. It's a shame.