1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Times of Israel on Casspi + Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 3, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

The thing is, McHale seems to believe that Parsons versatility it's a HUGE plus. Parsons played almost as many minutes as Harden last season. The guy never leaves the game regardless of style or matchup. To me that's an underrated part of his game. That no matter the opponent, he can be in the lineups. This was not true for Lin nor really anyone else besides Harden and Asik. Against any opposing lineup, Parsons can be part of best Rockets lineup against that.

2. Oracle

Oracle Member

Billy Crystal? I don't believe in ethnic basketball. Let's just hope Casspi performs well and the Rockets get an additional W. Against the Clips in LA that would be truly great. It's going to be a tough one to win.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

I have to reiterate, I was not really comparing Parsons style of play to Casspi, even though there are some similarities they share, I was comparing the caliber of player. While Parsons is better at the moment, the margin is greater in perception than reality.

As for Casspi adapting to his role and new position here, I don't think I am missing anything, since I covered most of it months ago here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=242943

This was before preseason began and no one ever saw Casspi in a Rockets uniform yet, and people were still debating whether he would even make the roster. Even his Israeli fans kept telling me he was not a PF nor starting caliber.

So far, some of the things I talked about have been confirmed by Morey and the coaches:

Ties in with the OP of this thread, and what Morey has talked about recently.

All along they saw Casspi's role and best chance of success was at the PF position.

Also, it seems I was actually being generous with Dmo/Jones' chances:

Remember, this was a time when it was a forgone conclusion that either Dmo or Jones would start with the other backing him up.

4. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Im actually in Tel Aviv, Israel at the moment! Its pretty awesome over here.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It turned out Casspi is a rotational player but he still isn't starting. You predicted major minutes and being a starter at PF.

20+ minutes are ok but nothing major.
    He hasn't started except for that Magic preseason game which we nearly tied and barely won.

You did ok but it isn't like you hit jackpot or anything.

A Millsap, Kevin Love, LMA would do wonders on this team.
    Better spacing and consistent points.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don't think we are in any disagreements here unless you are saying this is Parsons' advantage over Casspi.

Casspi has been an overall plus defender his whole career as a wing. The first tweet Morey sent out after signing him called him a 2way player(before he ever played PF). His defensive RAPM has been positive since he was a rookie, which is impressive. And his synergy stats ranked him as Sacromento's top perimeter defender as a rookie, ahead of Garcia.

Casspi has that versatility as well and is capable of guarding wings, though we may not see it much in Houston since we seem to be intent on using him as a 4.

As far as 3/4s go, Parsons is much more of a 3 and Casspi is much more of a 4. But they both have the ability to play either if need be.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why I think more consistent production at PF is needed

Parsons is not consistent
    Dwight is obviously not an intimidating post scorer
    Lin is good but I think it is too much to ask him to go score 16+ points a game consistently while running the team.
    He is the best at running the team regardless what posters say about Harden's playmaking.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Was Marcus Morris a fan favorite when you anointed him savior of the franchise?

Oops.

Arguing with past statements to bolster your own credibility was maybe not the best idea.

As to Casspi, I hope he can become a decent sub for Parsons, with a similar skill set. He is not there.

You keep pointing to stats to bolster your claim that Parsons is "mediocre". I think that is misguided. We cannot have a team where everyone averages over 20 points.

We need players who help the team win.

I believe Parsons is above average in recognizing what the team needs to win.

He is also a clutch player: Here are some interesting facts from his college career:

...and from the NBA:

He is also just entering his third year in the league. So far, he has improved every year. Therefore, it is weird that you predict he will average 12 points.

And finally, it doesn't matter how his individual stats are, if he helps the team win, I am very happy with him.

1 person likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have nothing against Casspi or anyone but IMO we need a consistent 15 ppg and 7+ rebound guy at the 4 who has done it before on our team. (veteran scorer or gifted young guy)
    Practically Parsons' high end production last year and more rebounds added.

Anyone who is less including Casspi, Jones or Dmo are just position fillers for the moment and not long term.

10. Oracle

Oracle Member

I don't think it is a good idea to bring in players such as Millsap, Love or LMA. That would be an additional player who needs to be the go to guy. It creates friction in chemistry and the sum of Harden+Howard+one of those will be less than each one separately. The MJ's Bulls was the perfect example of a team in which roster was there to play MJ. Nothing else. And it worked perfectly. So, don't load the team with superstars.

I don't believe that the teams can actually afford financially 3 max deal players in the long run. Therefore, the present Rockets roster should be considered a miracle team in terms of money invested versus performance. Morey is a genius no doubt. Therefore, it is a total mistake to look at Casspi and Parsons compared to Melo or LaBron. Harden and Howard are not the supporting cast for Parsons or Casspi.

It is the other way around. If Harden and Howard perform to their max because of Casspi and Parsons, the mix is optimal. It really does not matter who is a starter and who comes from the bench and for how many minutes. The only thing that matters is a W after the game and that part so far looks very promising. Let's look at this again some 30 games down the road and we'll have a good idea how well the pieces have fallen in place.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am still thinking the owner has some aces up his sleeves in terms of paying to improve that team.

It does not need to be Love or LMA, all I am asking is a 15 point and 7 guy.

Guys like improved Patterson, Landry, Ilyasova, Taj Gibson, Thaddeus Young would do.

Again I am saying aside from Harden, there are no consistent scorers on this team. (Parsons, Howard, Lin all have their scoring nights but consistency is a question mark)
    Lin will improve in that area but to what extent we won't know for sure.

I am saying we need more scoring production at that spot.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

I've been posting on this site for over 10 years, and generally only offer an opinion when it is going against the grain. I figure, there is no need for me to reiterate the opinions that everyone already agree upon or state the obvious.

So when you, or anyone, disagrees with me on whatever the current topic at hand may be, and can only repeatedly point to a single instance out of all the bull**** I've spewed over the years. I consider it a compliment. :)

13. Oracle

Oracle Member

I'm perfectly OK with your reminder of your previous post. I had read it, but it slipped my mind when I posted mine. So it was a good reminder and I appreciate that.

14. Oracle

Oracle Member

Sure, but, except for Ilyasova, they are not good 3pt shooters and that is the quality that the Rockets need. Because the Rockets have Parsons, Casspi and Garcia, one of them will be hot every night. You have 3 good 3pt shooters for $3 mil. total. I think it is a fantastic deal.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure a 3 point shooter at the PF will be needed at all cost.
    As long as those perimeter players shoot 3s consistently a PF that can shoot long 2s is ok with me too.

All the talk about 2s being the worst shot might be true but you can't deny shooters like LaMarcus Aldrige, Scola or Chris Paul those shots.
    They are famous for it.

16. Oracle

Oracle Member

Absolutely correct, but I think that the Houston roster at present will benefit from it. Statistically I would always prefer a 3pt shot to a long 2pt shot.

Long 2pt shots will not dissapear from the world, but they have to be performed at very high percentage (over 50%) to be more valuable that 35% 3pt shooting.

Presently Casspi shoots 3 pointers at 60% and Garcia at 50%. Parsons is not there yet but he's coming. Harden is at 35% pace at the moment, which is very good. However, you like to see Harden drive as well and in that situation you need the shooters in the perimeter.

17. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

If you take as much long 2s as Aldridge does, and only shot at a bit over 40%, then it's a detriment to the team offense. Aldridge, imo, is very overrated at the moment. If you shoot it as much as him on long 2s, you better be Nowitzki, KG or CP3, both are 47%+.

To be fair, I don't think many of us expecting McHale to actually start Asik next to Howard given there are limitations to the Twin Towers lineup.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Casspi is to Parsons what Beverley is to Lin. Role player who doesn't try to do too much off the dribble, and plays better off of Harden.

Milsap we could have had if we signed him before Dwight FA. Love and LMA are going to cost a lot more than Morey is willing to give up in a trade. Those guys are the cornerstones of the Wolves and Blazers.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I want a great 4, don't we all? However, you are on point that a team can support just so many beasts.

The Heat work now that DWade and Bosh realize it is LBJ's team (even if DWade sometimes forgets that). It may be a Big Three but it is really a Big Big Big 1 + two good pieces with everyone else on that squad knowing and living their roles, their places. Like this Rox squad except with two studs and many nice players.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

LMA can mix it up with post game.
    Anyone decent can benefit alongside Dwight.

Double guy Varejao or maybe some forgotten Gooden for cheap.
    Gooden is on waive. Career: 11.8 and 7.6 guy
    Downside: Those are not 3 point shooters although Gooden shot some