1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to tank?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Chef_Monteur, Oct 7, 2013.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Absolutely not. The Texans play the Colts at home, followed by three teams that are very beatable.

You come out the next 4 at 6-5. At that point your rolling and will be at home against a Patriot team who can be beat.

Season ain't dead yet, but if they lose to the Colts it will be.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

NFL Teams rarely tank (current Jags a glaring exception).

The coaches want wins to keep their job and authority in the locker room.
    The players detest losing.
    The owner wants gameday revenue (beer sales) and empty stadiums in December hurt profits.

Tanking is NBA thinking on an NBA board. This is the NFL. The Giants started 0-5, but you can believe they will scrap as hard as possible to get back to 0.500 or better.

Only way the Texans "tank" is if McNair fires Gary midseason, and McNair wasn't willing to demand Marciano's head last season. The guy is far too soft when it comes to making hard decisions.

3. newAge_Rockets

Bump. Interesting thread, many against tanking around this time last year. We all know how it ended, but do you guys think it's time to tank for a quarterback this year? Things could change quickly if Mallet shows something (if even put in), but we got to figure out some kind of long term solution for the...most...important position on the field.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would support tanking though not necessarily tanking for a QB, if there isn't a QB that's worth it this year, like there wasn't a QB worth it last year you take someone else, but there's no point in trying to win any more games.

5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

we have so many personnel issues that one year of tanking/good picks wouldn't fix... We desperately need LB improvement/depth, pass rushers are non-existent aside from JJ (maybe clowney could fix this), WR core needs more explosive playmakers, o-line is playing terrible, and Fitzpatrick is well... Fitzpatrick

6. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

They desperately need more out of their tight ends as well.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Suck?

Yeah, they suck on the field and they suck at drafting. :grin: So what would sucking do?

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

One could argue that fixating on a loser QB in Fitz to begin with was code for tanking.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They just found themselves at the bottom of the barrel at an unfortunate time, all the QB's in the draft were trash, so they effectively punted this year because they didn't really have a better alternative. We'll see what happens this off-season.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

sooo true, and that makes me sad.

maybe Luhnow can run next years draft?

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Young QB's need to develop.. It's knee jerk to call a bunch of 21 year olds "trash", but I understand you have an agenda.

13. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

IMO Winston is the best QB in this draft. I like his down field passing ability more than Mariota. Hopefully, the front office will look past his off the field issues and finally get us a solid QB. As long as we get one of these two I will be happy, and if we don't, I expect us to have another bad year...

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Keep hope alive that a bunch of Jake Locker's will turn into Aaron Rodgers'. There wasn't any top tier QB talent in this last draft, deal with it.

15. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Meh. I think guys like Hundley and Cook have the potential to be solid quarterbacks too. My bet is they do tons of background and interview work on Jameis before they decide on whether or not to drop him off their board. They kept Bruce Irvin on their board in 2012 and he had been in trouble a bunch. You don't truly know about a guy off the field until you do your homework.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

This franchise is in no position to remove any QB from their board.. lol.

I'm with you on Cook. I think he hits the bill. The guy drops DIMES!

Hundley is interesting, but he will need a season or two on the bench.

17. Buck Turgidson

Yes, Yes!!! **** you too!!!!

[​IMG]

18. NateNate

NateNate Member

There is so much luck when it comes to building rosters through the draft. If Andrew luck isn't there when the colts had the first pick then they're probably bottom of the league bad right now. We get the number one pick and there's no clear number one QB in sight. It's frustrating. Next year draft doesn't look so promising as we sit today, but a lot can change and you never know.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They don't need to "tank," this team sucks enough to just end up with the top pick

they need 2 starting corners, 2 linebackers, a guard, a quarterback, etc

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I support tanking if we don't blow the pick again...

Why are we so bad at drafting.....I really wanted them to either draft a QB or trade down this year and we keep it =/