1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to tank?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Chef_Monteur, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Tanking is so stupid. What if every team that wasn't expected to make the playoffs started tanking? What a great league the NFL would be.

On the job training for Keenum. That should be the goal for the rest of the season.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's always been my opinion that the Colts tanked to get Luck. They knew Manning was never gonna be the same and by starting Painter, they knew they were going nowhere so why not tank to get Luck, who was touted as Manning 2.0?

I don't get why people thought the Colts were just awful without Manning. Yes, a QB has a huge impact on the game, but their defense has been pretty good the past two years. Certainly better than our defense.

So I say we tank for a franchise QB. Jury is still out on Keenum, he looked good out there but he often missed backside pressure. While Keenum may be our starter, we still need new competition for the position because we know what we got with Schaub and Yates.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Looking at the schedule, we finish with at least 6 wins.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Tank? I'm not sure what the Texans could do that would hurt them anymore than they are already hurting themselves. Give Schaub his starting job back, I suppose. The Texans are not better than their record. You could actually make an argument that they are worse than their record, and lucky to have two victories, instead of just one.

Season over before November. Unbelievable.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I hate tanking...and I'll take as many wins as I can get.

Tanking r****ds the development of young players...Keenum, Hopkins, OL, Swearinger, Merci, etc... These guys can be the core of the team in the future, so no sense in trying to lose. You let everyone go out and play as hard as they can, improve on their weaknesses, and let the chips fall where they may.

Besides, what competitive athlete is okay with going out there and not giving everything? You think Watt would actually be down with that plan? Or would that drive him to want to play for another organization? How about all the other players that have contracts coming up...you think they'd be okay with playing half assed football, jeopardizing their future just so the Texans can select 11th in the draft instead of 17th?

There is no place for tanking in the NFL and it sure as hell wont happen with the Texans.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't want them to "tank", but I hope they lose. Not for a draft pick, but to ensure Kubiak's departure. McNair's comments yesterday made it sound like he's looking for any reason to not fire Kubiak. And now we have the old "injuries" excuse. I want there to be no doubt. It sucks to have to want your team to lose just so the owner will make the obvious move, but it needs to be done.

So yeah, I don't want them to tank. I don't want the players to give up or not play hard. I want to see what Case is capable of. But in the best interest of the franchise I want them to lose, which they've done a pretty good job of on their own.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Colts' defense was terrible last year. According to Football Outsiders, they were the 4th-worst defense to ever make the playoffs, ranking 25th overall in DVOA. They were 31st the year before. Through six games this year, they're 18th.

The Texans' defense was better in 2011, 2012 and so far this year.

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

That was my exact same response in 2010. But all I got was a crappy season out of it.

I'll believe Bob fires him when it actually happens. For now I'm convinced he's coach for life.

9. Raven

Raven Member

McNair really does suck as an owner. It's amazing how much he and Kubiak sound alike.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think this year's Texans defense could do to Manning what the Colts did to him last night.

I also don't think they have the capability to cover receivers as well as the Colts did last night.

Don't get lost in the defensive "stats" that rely on much more factors than just the defensive production in and of itself... the Texans' defensive scheme no longer does a single thing all that well.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

This.

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He gets it. It's just you don't get what he gets. But I get it. You are a r****d chef.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What? Give up 450 yards of offense and 33 points? I have no doubt the Texans' defense could absolutely meet that standard.

Where the Texans can't measure up to the Colts: I guarantee you our offense isn't throwing 39 points on a scoreboard anytime soon. We've scored 32 in our past three games combined.

Interesting how much easier it is to play defense when your offense is scoring and not turning the ball over. Heck, just look at how much better our defense played yesterday with an almost-clean game from the offense - makes a difference.

14. Major

Major Member

They WERE awful without Manning. They were in salary cap hell and had to blow up a lot of the team. Their defense was wretched in 2011 and it was very bad last year in basically every category. Their defense wasn't good in 2010 either.

This year, it's very good - but that wasn't the case the last few years.

15. SevenMinuteAbs

I mean we looked like legit Super Bowl contenders against Denver last yr. our defense and offense both looked great.

Kubiak had been too predictable and I think has run his course as our guy. But with that. Being said, we were one of the best teams in the league last yr until Cush went down. And that drop off was significant this year as well. The only difference between this yr and last, was our offense has grown very very stale.

If case can maintain the level he showed yesterday, we just need a legit right tackle and a few pieces on defense along with new head coach/OC and special teams coach and I think we're right back at the top.

16. Crutch City

Crutch City Member

THIS!!! So tired of seeing Newton getting beat on a consistent basis. Ive seen almost nobody calling him out either, but feel he has a lot to do with our struggles when we have the ball this year, other than the extreme predictability of our offense. Why do we not run right anymore (as when we had Winston)? Dude needs to go. Not a hater, just calling what I see.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Calling out Newton for sucking is like calling out water for being wet.

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Why tank? Johhny football will be there whenever we pick. As for Mcnair, after last year seeing how much talent this team had only to watch Konserviak drive them in the ground and oh the embarassing losses to greenbay and twice to new england, wth was he thinking to keep him at coach much less play caller? Fast forward to this year, just a fiasco and he's justifying why he needs to keep kubiak. Our best hope is that Kubiak mans up and says im not the guy bob, i suck so im steppin down.

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Keenum is better than Johnny Manziel, I want a raw pass rushing OLB and their are a few that I would love in this draft. Unless we land the 1st pick for Bridgewater I want a pass rusher to finally take double teams off of JJ Watt.

We coulda had Justin Houston instead of Brooks Reed but I'm not gonna dwell on that.