1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to replace Shane Battier in the starting rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MourningWood, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bucket

bucket Member

Sorry for the confusion; it's just that some of the posters here are so ridiculous after losses that it's hard to make it clear when I'm being sarcastic.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

why dont you point out how brooks didnt rebound well, chuck didnt score well, martin didnt lock anyone down, or miller didnt block shots. Talking about a player's offense when he's not an offensive player is pointless, especially when he only took 5 shots in a game where the backcourt, who he wasnt guarding, shot 7 of 9 from three.

and what costly mistakes did he make at the end? Please list them.

I'm almost sure battier was sitting whent hey came back, since Kobe was on the bench....

so it didnt matter when they built the 15 pt lead that let them stay ahead most of the game? what about when Kobe missed the jumper late, that allowed them to even have a shot in the final seconds....

3. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

That is true. Lets see how the season plays out. We can only wait and see.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sure you did. :rolleyes:

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

clearly, because shane battier was on shannon blake or steve blake, without shane battier on the floor they started raining 3s.

not criticizing shane battier's offense, but criticizing his general slowness and poor decision making down the stretch.

6. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I'm talking about this game too. We were +9. That's like saying Usaine Bolt winning a race on a sunny day is a coincidence.

7. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree with all the +/- nuthuggers for this game. Sincerely anyone with a pair of eyes could see that Battier was putrid for us out there. +/- has been shown to be a very misleading stat (it certainly is not the end all). I don't think there is any way to say that Battier played better than Brooks or Martin out there today just because he somehow came up with the +9.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

For close to 3 quarters we had a 10-19 point lead consistently pretty much. The last minute of the 4th we give up two 3's to Blake... we just melted down. We even gave up a 3 at the very end to Blake. We had control of this game and just let it go. During the 4th quarter we obviously lost the lead because we had the lead to begin the 4th. That's what the F i mean.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I have been telling you guys Battier has been on a serious decline, only to be called a hater. :eek:

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

wow am i reading that right? 18-0 run by LA with battier sitting? I knew he was sitting when they came back, didnt realize it was that clear cut...

11. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Well... All I'm saying is, maybe Battier was on the floor when we were up by 18, but maybe, just maybe he was also on the floor when we lost the game. Where someone such as Lee or Budinger could of made some shots when we had a stretch of not scoring.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ah, the statistical illiterate. You are simply looking at the wrong stats. How about looking at the stats that tell you how much a player contributes to actual winning. And that doesn't mean points, rebounds, assists etc. Sorry you can't find it on Yahoo or ESPN.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You are reading it wrong, they were just outscored by 17 once he sat.

14. AXG

AXG Member

As I recall, Kobe was struggling until Battier switched onto him then Kobe's eyes lit up as well as Battier.. ;) IMO Lee played him best because he was bodying up and is quick enough to stay with Kobe. No, I wish the Rockets wouldn't play him so many minutes when he obviously doesn't have it.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Keep him if he knows he should NEVER drive it in or post up. Corner 3's only!

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

the most accurate 'win' stat i know of is the winshare. however i am too lazy right now to look it up, but i bet battier's winshare has been steadily declining the past 3 seasons. it's time to inject some youth into the SF position. Again, the season is young, why not play Budinger 30 minutes a night to see what happens, and give Battier some well deserved rest?

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Time to replace Battier in the starting rotation? Nah. Time to start discussing it? Sure! It's much easier said than done, anyway. Who wouldn't like a nice two-way player at the 3? Chase "The Hard G" Budinger didn't have the greatest second half, but here's hoping he can be that guy at some point in the near future.

18. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Uh, Kobe Bryant was -8. His +/- may not be as appealing, but he broke Battier down off the dribble and converted an and-one during the most critical moment of the game to secure a WIN for his team.

You are simply looking at the wrong stats.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Raw +/- is a flawed stat, for sure. But there are plenty of other less flawed indicators that support Battier's effect on winning as well.

Or here's another one:

Our GM who is consistently pulling rabbits out of hats made it his first move to acquire Battier.

Our head coach who is one of the most respected and winningest coaches out there plays him for 30+ minutes a game.

You'd think that there is some basketball knowledge there. Or maybe you could teach them something about how players "look" to you.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

im not sure how you dont get that he wasnt in the game when we lost the lead. It's a fact. Im guessing you're refering to that long stretch through the third to 4th qrtr...