1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to realize that Schaub was never the cause of the Texans' struggles

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SC1211, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

He wasn't the cause, but it isn't as though he doesn't deserve ANY of the blame.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think Rick Smith did a good job building this team up. But once teams get good, the salary cap causes them to try to maintain their level while replacing players. And this is where Smith hasn't done that good of a job. We took a step back on the line when we tried to replace Winston and Briesel.

Good job building the roster, mediocre job maintaining the roster.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Double post

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This and this too. Oh and this too.

Kubiak is right about one thing. It IS on him.

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

May be able to reverse some of this during the offseason. Cut Schaub, Ed Reed. Don't bring back wade smith, resign Antonio for a third of his current contract. This should free up some money to sign some decent free agents.

This won't be rebuilding process but a retooling one.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

W.e as long as the texans suck at least people will cheer for Houston's real team and back them up

7. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

We have so many problems, and it almost seems like one leads to another.

1. We have a "cheap" owner. Cut Schaub? That's dead money. Fire Kubiak? Not sure if that's dead money, but he'd have to bring in a new coach and most likely an offensive coordinator. That's an additional salary to pay that he's not paying now.
    2. Our coaching. We are very predictable on offense, just like people like Sage Rosenfels have said, and defense (blitz, blitz, blitz!). We never go down the field, rarely throw past the 1st down marker on 3rd and 5+, and rarely mix it up by involving different receivers. I always seem to notice that Brees drops back, looks around, and if he has nothing, drops it to the RB. Oh, and our QB isn't allowed to audible!
    3. Special teams. Stupid decisions (running it out vs. taking a knee), bad coverage, and trouble holding onto the ball. Oh, and our special teams coach is nothing to brag about.
    4. Have I mentioned our QB? He has been pretty much terrible, but I think Schaub could be a lot better under a different coach. Unfortunately, I think it's too late to salvage his career and let him expand into a "real" QB by changing plays at the line. The fact that he has pretty much no mobility doesn't help his cause. I think he's better than he's given credit for, but definitely not good enough to take us where we want to go.

Ultimately, if we want anything to happen, it obviously starts at the top and is a domino effect. McNair >> Kubiak >> Smith/Marciano/?? >> Schaub. If Kubiak is here, so is Schaub. Of course, unless McNair says/does something, Kubiak is here to stay (and if I'm making a bet, it's that he's not let go until the end of the year), which means his staff, and Schaub is too.

This doesn't even include things like players being disgruntled, losing respect, and maybe even quitting at times due to what is going on right now. Oh, and how can we forget about the fans? Now we're throwing ice at the game? Pretty low, but I would hope that, along with fans cheering when Schaub got hurt (I'm still trying to tell myself those cheers were for him getting up and walking off under his own power), it tells McNair that the fans can't take much more. What's next after this? I would have said paper bags over the head, but they showed a few of those today.

As long as McNair is making money, I think he sticks with what he has because he doesn't want to pay additional salaries. At the end of the year, changes will probably be made, but I wouldn't expect anything until then.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

What the hell kind of statement is this? It's good that the Texans are sucking because those people will cheer for the Rockets now? Wtf? I'm sure most of them were cheering for the Rockets regardless if the Texans suck or not.. so our city has become so pathetic we can only have 1 good team at a time?

9. Grinds

Grinds Member

The topic title read like Matt didn't share any blame, then you end the OP with this.. lol.

Who completely blamed Schaub?

Most have said Kubiak sucks as well.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You lost me when you wrote Foster was our only great, and therefore greatest, player.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Reed was a McNair move.