1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to move Stevie Franchise to the 2 and trade for a point gaurd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by diogenes, Nov 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. diogenes

diogenes Contributing Member

Watching Gary Payton tonight reminded me of how a point guard is supposed to play...Unselfish. Looks like Francis is all about getting his so maybe the rockets need to explore moving Francis to the 2 guard which suits him better and trade Mobley for a solid point who can distribute the ball because between those two, there's not many shot attempts for the others. Watching Steve force a hook shot from his waist early in the fourth only to have it blocked was utterly ridiculous.

2. Raven

Raven Member

I know you'll get flamed for saying that, but I couldn't agree with you more. I wouldn't trade Mobley though, as I think he would be a fantastic sixth man.

Raven

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Payton has also been in the league for over a decade. Experience, experience, experience, something people aren't willing to give Francis a chance to acquire before demanding that he be moved to the 2-Guard spot.

4. javilo

javilo Member

Lets Trade for Gary Payton Right now.....PLEASE!!!! He is a true point guard like Jason Kidd, I wouldnt even take Kenny Anderson who is a true point guard.

5. diogenes

Well considering how SF is a scoring machine, why not move him over ? He seems better suited to score rather than pass and create for his team. Iverson, Jason Terry, Penny Hardaway weren't too proud to make the switch.

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Payton took something like 18 shots. That's kinda high still. But his passing looks like art compared to most of the Rocks offensive crap.

7. RocksMillenium

Yeah, lets trade for a 35 year old PG! I love Payton and he is still playing at a high level, but the guy is 35 years old. Francis is, what, 25 years old. 10 years of experience separate Francis and Payton, give Francis time.

<b>Well considering how SF is a scoring machine, why not move him over ? He seems better suited to score rather than pass and create for his team. Iverson, Jason Terry, Penny Hardaway weren't too proud to make the switch.</b>

Terry is back at the PG spot for Atlanta, Penny is so tall he is better suited to the 2-guard spot because smaller PGs wear him out, and Iverson is the biggest ball-hog in NBA history, and he shoots like 20% from the field. Iverson SHOULD be a PG, instead he is a SG and he is injured every other week because he's playing against bigger, stronger guys.

8. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Start your engines, ITS TIME FOR A STEVE BASHING!!!
    Come on people.
    Steve had less assists than the Glove, but The Glove had nothing compared to the heart that Steve had. He almost single handly brought us back into the game.

GG steve.

9. swt939

swt939 Member

try telling that to andre miller, or baron davis, or kidd (he was racking assists his 3rd year in) or a number of other point guards.

francis' main duty as a pg is to distribute the ball. now if the rox offense isnt running well - as it hasnt been - then i'm all for him taking good shots. unfortunately, it doesnt seem like he's really trying all that hard to get his teammates involved or get the offense going. im not putting the blame solely on francis, it's everyones fault; but considering a move to shooting guard - a la iverson - is not a bad idea.

10. goophers

goophers Member

Steve really pissed me off tonight. I hope he paid attention, because he looked like an undrafted rookie in the second half. Payton put him back in school. A truly good player makes his teammates better, and I don't think Steve can do that. I hope he realizes that if he passes it will make it easier for him to score.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

WE nearly caught them because Steve started making some good passes to the open man(assists).

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

One of the problems with Stevie and Cat taking such a high percentage of the shots is that it conditions the other players to not EXPECT to play a part in the offense. Consequently, when these guys finally get a pass, they're caught by surprise.

And it spills over to defense, too. Someone who's an involved part of the offense keeps his head in the game. Someone who's exluded on the offensive end can tend to drift on the defensive end as well. Sure, these are high-paid NBA guys who should be in the game 100% of the time, but in reality, the two-on-five style Stevie and Cat play can have a detrimental effect on the team.

13. RocksMillenium

Baron Davis wasn't all that good his first year, then his 2nd year he was good because he had A GOOD SUPPORTING CAST, something Francis is finally getting after and injury-riddled season. Miller had high assist totals, he also had more college experience then Miller, but did Cleveland win? Now Miller is on the Clippers, and the Clippers are struggling. I mean the same people who are saying that if you dropped Miller on this team we would win, well Miller is on a Clippers team that is not only as talented as the Rockets, may be MORE talented then the Rockets, have strong guard play and strong frontcourt play, yet the Clippers aren't playing any better then the Rockets. Why is that? I say for the same reason the Rockets are struggling, the Clippers are a young team. Iverson is banged up as is because he is taking the physical pounding of facing bigger guys because he's a PG playing at the 2-guard spot.

#13 RocksMillenium, Nov 5, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2002
  14. Panda

Panda Member

Gary Payton showed that what a complete PG can do. Even he didn't score well, he had his passing/creating game to rely on. Francis has to be able to do the same to be considered as a real PG. Sadly though, so far he's nearly averaging more turnovers than assists. This problem has been lasting since day 1 and it's not getting any better. Move SF to the 2 and find a tall PG.

#14 Panda, Nov 5, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2002
  15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

We're not trading Mobley and Francis will remain the point guard. Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of that before they waste anymore energy typing up this much-repeated topic.

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Let's trade Rice/KT for Lewis and Radmonivic and check the assist numbers tonight. I would have gotten ten assists playing with those two.

Steve had 33 points, 11 boards and 8 assists. Let's save a night where he actually lost the game (it happens) to b**** about him. If he hadn't sat out the 3rd, it's a different game.

17. diogenes

Thanks for filling us in and showing your sincere concern on how our energy is being wasted when it could be saved !

Many thanks

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

It's also got a WHOLE lot to do with the fact that most of the Clipper starters missed all or part of training camp and the exhibition games -- Odom is still out, and Brand, Olowokandi, Magette, Richardson and Wilcox all missed significant time in camp.

The Clips guys are just NOW playing their first games together as a unit. That's hurting them, much more than their age. That, and the fact that their owner doesn't seem interested in keeping the team intact. Thankfully, the Rox don't have THAT problem.

19. gr8-1

You mean 4th quarter, right? Steve sat for most of the 3rd. They weren't even guarding each other for alot of the night.

What'd Steve score in the second? What were his #'s? I don't know many undrafted rookies who could put up those numbers

20. gr8-1

Well, Ming missed training camp. Rice and KT have been out. Boki hasn't really played.

If the owner of the Clips does not want to keep them intact, the Clips should be professional enough to execute.