1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to honor Westbrooks best game in a Rockets Jersey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Dec 20, 2019.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

We took 7 shots that were outside of the paint that weren’t 3s.

We haven’t abandoned a sound strategy and started taking mid range shots other than Westbrook and even he has stopped shooting so many of those dumbass shots lately.

We acquired a player who is really good at the first part of our already established strategy. Shots at the rim.

Your 1 game sample of points per shot on 3s and 2s is unbelievably silly and I know you know that.

D-rock likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

should always do this against teams with no rim protection like the clips.

Patience, ryano2009, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I almost @'ed you on that post... lol!

Oh... so now we're gonna redefine "3s and layups" to include 'pullups and anything in the paint'.... lmao! Whatever fits the narrative I guess... lol...

As I've always told you... cater your gameplan to the team you're playing... going into every game (regardless of opposition) with preconceived notions that you're "just gonna play our game..." and a prerequisite of 50+ 3 pt attempts (without even seeing how they are defending you) - is a shortcut to thinking and poor coaching...

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Anytime we have ever discussed where our shots have been taken I have considered mid range to be non paint shots that aren’t 3s. Never changed.

Talking about trying to fit things into a narrative..... you tried to use a 1 game sample where we actually only took 7 non paint 2s as a way to prop up your idea that we would be better off taking more mid range jumpers.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last 6 games:

29 Points
    9 Rebounds
    7 Assists
    FG: 50%
    3FG: 30%
    FT: 90%

The Rockets are 5-1 in these games...

apollo33, Patience, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  6. kjayp

so 12 footer a step in from the free throw line = good...
    9 or 10 ft shot to the side = bad...

Got it! :rolleyes: lol

Hey man, I can admit that sometimes an inordinate number of 3s is a good plan (depending on opposition) - can you admit that sometimes trying to chuck 50+ is a bad thing?

I got no problem with 3s and layups... as long as its a good balance and not 50+ 3s and too few 2s...

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I would take 50 threes if they are open and if Tucker, Harden, McLemore or House are taking them.

You take what the defense gives you.

I don't think WB should be taking any more than 3 a game.

8. kjayp

I'm totally good with what yer sayin... and I couldnt agree more...
    'Take what the defense gives you' is the key...
    Hey if they wanna leave our guys at the perimeter - and we're actually sinking them at a decent clip that night - fire away!
    ...but if the other team is getting out on the shooters and getting a hand in their face from deep - or they just aint falling for us on any given night... i'd look for a better option...

My b**** is based on last season when a few times MDA stated his desire to take 50+ 3s before the game and without even seeing how the defense was gonna play us...
    I'm all about playing the situation...

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would argue that your characterization of what we’re trying to do....”chuck 50+ 3s “ is not accurate and pretty misleading.

Our game plan is to get as many open 3 point attempts as we can. Well other than Harden, because he’s proven to make contested 3s. And we are really, really, really, really good at getting open 3 point attempts.

Whether that yields 30 or 50 overall shots really just depends on how a game goes. But I believe as long as we are generating mostly open looks there’s no reason to go away from it.

I don’t believe going for 2 point shots outside of the paint unless it’s late clock forced situations. We no longer have anyone good enough at it.

D-rock likes this.
  10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

The CUSTOMARY... "TOLD YOU SO, CLUTCHFANS" from me to yall.

Now shut up and enjoy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. payaso

payaso Member

Never have heard 4-on-5 basketball described in such benign terms. Well played.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

its not 4-on-5 basketball. It's 4-on-4 or even 4-on-3 because of the gravity Harden commands. No team is going let Harden go uncovered even when he's 35 feet from the basket because everyone know he has that kind of range.

dc rock and D-rock like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice thinking...

i know many people dislike faried but i would just like too see a couple of games how we would look with faried and westbrook playing together

apollo33 and D-rock like this.