1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time To Do Our Part: Crowdsourcing Solutions To Empty Seats at TC

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Nov 30, 2017.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Cleverly disguised "solve the traffic in Houston" thread. :p

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We keep blaming corporate seats as the reason, but can anyone explain how other teams around the NBA do it? Also, I was at the game last night, and the crowd was not getting into it at all. Corporate, non-corporate fans, etc, the place was quiet. Even the red rowdies are not all that loud this season (I been to a few games already).

Honestly, I love watching a good game of basketball, but I've toned down a lot over the past few years. I use to be the fan that would stand up the majority of the game, be screaming the whole time, and piss off people behind me. I've toned it though, now I just sit, watch the game and enjoy it. I guess if the game does get interesting, it will usually prompt me to start screaming "Defense" or "Lets go Rockets". I do get excited on big plays all the time.

ghettocheeze, mario_v and DonKnock like this.
  3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Oh, I know! Come say hi next time, y'all. They don't ever cost $8 for the lower-bowl TV seats that everyone b****es about being empty, though. I realize the club-level seats aren't out of line with what other franchises charge. I'm just sad I don't have the cash (or, more likely, the corporate tickets) to sit there.

DonKnock likes this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

There’s 6.5M people here and we can’t fill a 20k person stadium consistently. There’s a lot that can be done.

ghettocheeze, topfive and seeingredtx like this.
  5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

This but let’s do it like the award ceremonies where the celebrities are replaced by other people.

Let’s do what you say but I bet corporations or the people holding the tickets would be upset if they go and can’t sit on their seats. But how about we fill those empty seats and whenever the people for those expensive seats show up the others have to move back to their regular seats. That way at least you get some time on the lower rows and see the game up close.

Or idk something like that.

6. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

How about getting rid of the seats all together and make everyone stand up. Every time i watch the games no one seems enthusiastic when the team scores or do anything positive fans barely clap. I watch warrior games and about damn near the whole arena stands up and cheers for everything.

7. napalm06

Are we trying to solve the problem of the tickets not being sold, or the seats not being filled?

If an owner is getting $1000 per seat from corporations who aren't filling the seats, it's an unsolvable problem.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

doubtful. not something you just fix overnight.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lower Bowl is good, you can actually catch the free t shirts

10. macan

macan Member

it's all about the lighting and flooring, gotta make some changes to that so ppl would have some kinda refresh feeling and have a new energy. plus, ryno would shoot a lot better too!

ghettocheeze likes this.
  11. Bob Barker 007

Besides the usual factors, the in-game experience has slipped. There's no pregame "Dream On" video, the new Clutch the Bear does nothing, I don't like how we do player introductions, there are fewer fun halftime shows, and I haven't seen the fun dancing acts like the Space City Grandparents as much. The Red Rowdies' chants do not match with the sound coming from the PA, so they actually detract from fan participation, not help it.

12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

There are dozens tickets available on the secondary market for every game. A lot of them are even relatively cheap

You can get in the door for $15 or less to some of these games on weeknights.

Price isn’t the problem here, there are seats available at manageable cost, people just aren’t showing up if it’s not a marquee opponent and for those games tickets are MORE expensive

13. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

The face value might be similar but resale value isn't. For instance Stubhub.com: thunder @ rockets lowest price is $68 while thunder @ warriors lowest price is $120

DonKnock likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

which is my point. the rockets prices are lower, price isnt the problem, and it shouldnt be

DonKnock likes this.
  15. napalm06

When you say "secondary" market, that usually means "resale" right? "Secondary market" sales usually don't give the original owner a dime, if I'm understanding this correctly.

I'm just saying there's no financial incentive to improve this, probably. Any argument in favor of this focuses on fan support during the game. Which I agree with! I wonder if the players care? (Honest question).

16. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Connect two pools of people: wealthy people and companies that want season tickets, and rabid fans who don't have that kind of money. Let the rich folks and corporations buy their tickets, but with the option (game by game) to sponsor a rabid fan for each seat they buy. The fan's job, if given the seat (or at least with a fat subsidy), is to cheer and generally make the atmosphere good for the Rockets and bad for the opponents. This would require a verification and performance evaluation system so sponsored folks can't sell the seats, or claim to be rabid fans and then not do the job. That might be too hard or bureaucratic, but might be possible. The general idea, if it can be done without ruining the fun, is to make ticket ownership and attendance more of a civic thing, where you're not just a consumer, you feel a duty to contribute.

ghettocheeze and DonKnock like this.
  17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

That's all for the sections in the 400's. If we're trying to be specific here, the lower bowl section by the benches, facing the cameras, is absolutely empty by game-time. It gets no better right after the half.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

In the OP I said that this is independent of whatever changes Tilman is going to make. The goal here is to have home court actually be an advantage in the same realm as the other top teams. So yes this is talking about in game cheering and loudness.

I was just countering your statement that generalized all tickets as being 1000 dollars, which is not the case.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is how the Andersons get tickets to the game

UrbanEnterprise and DonKnock like this.
  20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.