1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[time is running out] What college should I go to?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsMac, Nov 8, 2007.

?

where should I go (read my post for explanation)?

1. Texas A&M-Aggies for life!

16.2%
  2. Rice University

59.5%
  3. University of Houston

24.3%
  1. vincentt

vincentt Member

get as far away from here as possible!!! ;)

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Judging a school based on its recruiter and dorm room fees is silly.

2. As others have already said, you want to go to A&M. This is a straw man's poll. Look at the way you put up your poll choices.

3. Anyhow, for your sake, it would do you a ton of good to get away from Houston/your parents.

4. Things change. You might find a different passion. I was so sure I was going to become a lawyer, and then I realized I wouldn't enjoy that nearly as much as what I am doing.

5. As RIET said, presuming you'll get into Rice is equally silly. I was accepted into 13 schools, including 3 music conservatories and 3 Ivies. Better SAT's, GPA, and rank than what you listed, extracurriculars galore, and was an all-state musician multiple times. The one school I didn't get into was Rice; I had decided in between the application process and the decision time I didn't want to stay in Houston anyhow, but there is no such thing as a sure thing.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Are you kidding? Westside is just considered an ordinary school in Houston. If you went to Memorial, Bellaire, Clements and were ranked 22 that would be much more impressive.

How many valedictorians are in your class this year? What about salutorians? When I graduated high school there were 12 valedictorians and 8 salutorians.

With your stats getting into Rice isn't a given. You might not even get into the Honors program at A&M or UT even. I know a few people who got into Rice from Houston, but one of the people's dad was on the admissions committe and the other person's dad donated enough money to the school they named a portion of the business school after him.

It doesn't appear you are that well rounded of a student. Yes, you are very good at academics, but I don't see anything in terms of athletics, music or leadership. Getting into Rice requires a well rounded applicant.

4. Mr. Brightside

I don't understand why hating a school's football team has anything to do with selecting what school you go to. It is sort of like saying since you don't like the Yankees, you will never accept a job in NYC.

Not everyone at UT attends football games and not everyone cares about what the football team does. Football games just run a few hours on Saturday morning on the side of campus. Sometimes you won't even notice the game is going on unless you walk around the area at the time.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

in the end, it doesnt matter what college u got to......

6. Yale_RocketsFan

Having gone through the process and having gotten into Rice (along with other ivies), the odds of you getting into Rice with your stats is little to none.

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Sounds like you'd fit in perfectly at Baylor.

Consider yourself lucky to get into any medical school.

8. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

yeah man. i really need an A in algebra II this semester, but its looking bleak. :(

9. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Sounds like you are missing a choice. You need to add Devry to your list.

10. Mr. Brightside

You will need to swallow your pride and dig down deep in order to get that A!

11. SLrocket

haha, yeah. got an 86 first 9 wks. need to get like a 94 this 9 wks.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you dont seem full of yourself at all.

have fun not getting laid.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm really just bumping this post. I'm curious to know how you're guaranteed a full ride to UH.

I've never been a UT fan. Despite my attempts to root for UT, I just can't do it. However, I'm more than likely going to go there for my Masters and Doctorate.

14. tulexan

tulexan Member

I recommend going to school out of state (or at least out of city). College should be a time to meet new friends and build new networks.

15. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

It doesn't really matter about the quality of school for most professions; you're going to get out of your education what you put into it. But I'd recommend UH -- if you can get a free ride, TAKE THE FREE RIDE. Trust me, paying for college is NOT fun.

16. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

If you're pre-med, this shouldn't be a hard choice. You don't need to go to a prestigious school, you just want a high GPA and a good MCAT. Where can you get the highest GPA? A&M or UH, Rice is immediately out of the window. I go to the University of Chicago (not pre-med), and I can tell you that getting a really high GPA at these sorts of schools means you have to work your life away. I'd take UH, personally, because it's cheap, in Houston, and comparatively easier. You can use your extra time to do cool stuff, travel in your summers, explore your other interests via internships, student organizations etc. Don't go to Rice, focus on your GPA, it's the smart way to go. Now if you decide you're not pre-med, then it's a different story.

17. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Who's your teacher? I had Cinque and she was a bia. The math teachers at Clements are average at best, with the only exception being Boagni, when he's not wasting class time telling stories of his childhood.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't your class only have one valedictorian (highest GPA) and one salutorian (second highest)?

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I told Rockets Mac in my earlier posts while it may be cheaper and easier to go to a school like U of H there is much more to college than just getting through the classes. GPA is important but its not all and college is about challenging yourself intellectually and yoru life. While you might regret going to the University of Chicago because of how much it costs and how much work you have to do you to keep your grades up you are also being in challenged in ways that will make you better person later in your life.

I didn't really appreciate Cal when I was there but after getting my master at a lesser ranked school, U of Minnesota, I realized how great the experience of going to Cal was. So sure at U of H you could take a similar economics class as you would at the U of Chicago but you wouldn't be taking it from a Nobel Prize Winner. At the same time you will be living and hanging out with the best and brightest from around the world at a top tier school.

So yes going to a better ranked school will mean more money and you will have to work harder but the experience will be better for you and this is something you might not realize until after you've left school.

20. SLrocket

i have ms murray. im surprised she hasnt died yet by seeing how much she smokes. my papers smell like smoke when i get them back