1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[time is running out] What college should I go to?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsMac, Nov 8, 2007.

?

where should I go (read my post for explanation)?

1. Texas A&M-Aggies for life!

16.2%
  2. Rice University

59.5%
  3. University of Houston

24.3%
  1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

ok guys, here's another college-decision thread for you to help me.. I know that the last time I tried to get advice on college, I got a bunch of pointless (but hilarious) responses.. but let's try this again:

to refresh your memory, I am top 10% senior in HS right now and I want to stay in Texas. I want to go medical school so obviously I'm looking for a premed undergrad school that would be good enough to get me to Baylor College of Medicine (HCC wouldn't be a good example :D ), so I am down to 3 colleges right now:

University of Houston

Pros:
    -it's a free ride! I get a full scholarship guaranteed if I apply!
    -close to home! my parents will pay for housing if it's in Houston, so I don't have to worry about anything!
    -there's this program called the "JAMP" program where they hook you up with a Texas Medical school if you meet certain guidelines, but it's a longshot and I won't be eligible until sophomore year

Cons:
    -Mediocre education. I could go to a much better college with my straight A's and 4.500 GPA
    -atmosphere: I really want to go to a competitive school where I can get motivated and feel that everyone around me cares. it doesn't seem that is the case at UH.

Last word: good for the pocket (start medical school with $0 debt). won't have to leave my beloved H-town. but education, not so good.

Rice University
    pros:
    -excellent school-top ranked in the nation. great education
    -very, very, very prestigious (which is almost an auto acceptance to BCM)
    -close to home (same reason as UH)

cons:
    -$$$: $30K a year, not a chance of scholarship, not cool!
    -atmosphere: this is not confirmed, but I really don't want to be surrounded with nerds that know everything and study 24/7! I might consider my self a nerd sometimes, but a surrounding environment would kill me! thing about me is, I always have to be #1, at least I try my hardest, and I usually succeed. so it's kind of a positive to have competition, but also it might make me give up if nerds from private schools who had better circumstances are way ahead of me.
    -might be waaaaaaay too difficult for me especially that I am going to med school after I graduate, so it might not be really worth it..

final word- great education, great location, beautiful campus, very prestigious, but very nerdy, very hard, and very EXPENSIVE! (going to med school w/ 120k debt aint cool!)

Texas A&M:
    pros:
    -excellent school: good education-not like Rice, but not like UH either. it's right in between. hard enough to be competitive but easy enough to be realistic.
    -automatic acceptance-don't have to worry about a thing! top 10% baby!!
    -affordable, good possibility of scholarship

cons:
    -too far away! hour and a half drive, so I have to get a dorm room => more expenses
    -male cheerleaders-nuff said :D j/k

last word: seems like the most reasonable reason: everything I want, but a little far away from H-town. and umm, disregard the male cheerleaders part :D

I got a lot of "why don't u go to UT" stuff last time, but here's my answer: too far away, and I hate UT, VY, Austin, and the longhorns in general. plus, everybody that I ask tells me "I'm going to UT". I really don't care about partying and fun stuff, I am in it to go to medical school and achieve my goal.. (yes, I am a nerd, but hey, nerds are successful -check Bill Gates-) :D

if you're aware of any colleges other than the 3, please specify. and please include your rationale for your choice..

and PLEASE, don't hijack this thread to a VY or anything UT related or hot chicks in swimsuits or male cheerleaders or (I forgot what else).. :D

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

hi, i am a terrorist getting ready to hijack this thread.

how about harvard?

3. WWR

WWR Member

Go to Sam Houston. I did. I loved it. I have a good job. :cool:

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would say... Not Rice.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

what about daytona state beach university

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

You didn't get into UT?

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Go to Rice, it's a better education. $200K debt will be deffered (if you think you can get into med school which will also cost $$) and it's gonna hurt. But IF you achieve your goals and make $300K a year out of college, you should be fine.

The downside is that you sound like someone who's smart and have being successful through out your academic career. The hard part of going to a school like Rice is that once you get there, you realize everyone is like you and they are all fighting for the samething. It's high pressure there's definitely gonna be some people that are gonna get screwed in the process.

8. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

university of houston
    don't lose your focus and get into med school

second choice rice

distant way distant third tamu

9. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

It depends on how sure you are in pursuing medical school. A&M will get you a great education, but a more prestigious undergrad school might help in getting you to a better medical program. Also, you should consider what kind of culture you would prefer at your college. Rice is obviously more liberal, where A&M is more conservative. If you don't care much for culture, then UH (j/k).

10. OrangeCountyCA

[​IMG]

I have to represent my Alma Mater.

11. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

This is the biggest bunch of BS I've ever read on this site. UH is not a bad school by any stretch. Undergrad doesn't matter. It's all about GPA. The education you get at UH is the same at any other college (with the exception of Rice maybe). Just because it's not hyped or talked about doesn't mean it's a sh!tty school. It seems you're basing you're college on names alone, which I could've sworn you said you weren't doing. A friend of mine is now a plastic surgeon in Miami and guess where he went? UH. So don't tell me it's bad education.

I'm not a UH student. I go to Texas. If I could go back and do it again, I'd go to UH. Free ride, close to home and family, and is actually a pretty fun campus if you know people.

I'm sure people that go to UH aren't motivated and don't want to do anything with their lives. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If getting a bachelors degree is just a way for you to get into med school, then go to UH. Your med degree is what counts.

If UH costs $0 and Rice is $120K - $150, that's a no brainer. Yeah, Rice is a really good school, but IMO not worth the cost discrepancy. And you can get a good education anywhere. Trust me.

If you don't plan on using your Bachelor's except to get in med school, does it really matter where you get it as long as you get into med school?

13. Vivid

Vivid Member

Rice is the way to go. It is great school that will get you great connections into med school. If you think Rice is going to be to hard or that the enviroment (highly competitive) will be too much...you might want to rethink med school...this is no joke. Med school will be much harder to get in to and you would be kidding yourself if you don't think a ton of kids will have the same gpa you have or better once you get there. AM is a good school but it's not going to have the same ratio of staff that Rice will allow you. Private schools get a lot of subsidized grants-both federal and state. You will recieve money if you go to a private school. Rice will help get you where you want to go in my honest opinion.

-V

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

:rolleyes:
    there's nothing mediocre about getting an education at UH. i'll agree the atmosphere isn't anything like that of A&M or UT but that's nothing to do with what you can learn.

15. MexAmercnMoose

i was in the same situation 2 years ago...i chose UH...more diverse=more ladies, a&m is too weird and white and rice is nothing but nerds, plus i doubt i could have gone there...i got a full ride at UH and i even got money reimbursed..around 2 grand, the only bad part is that the college atmosphere is meh...but the ladies...oh so much eyecandy at the UH library:cool:

16. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

im gonna be facing the same dilemma in a yr or two....im a sophomore in HS at clements(GPA whores galore) and am TRYING to get into the top 10. would UH be a good fallback? im also wanting to go into medicine. Would UH provide a good enough background and education to be accepted into med school?

17. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Rice..why not go for the best you can when it's there? If you go to med school with a Rice education under your belt then you already have the upper hand

18. MexAmercnMoose

oh and i forgot...if you stay at home = staying close to the Rockets ;)

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Clements huh? I just graduated in May. Who took over for Ronnenkamp? And is Mrs. Whyte still there? Last I heard, she was getting fired at the end of the year (last year).

20. tulexan

tulexan Member

Can't go wrong with Tulane

[​IMG]