1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for the Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jev5555, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Summer Song Giver

First off, I want Kubiak gone as much as anyone. With that said, I think boneheaded calls aside we have personnel issues that must be addressed on the defensive side of the ball that must be addressed regardless of who coaches the team.

I see three to four out of eleven viable NFL capapable starters on that side of the ball. With Demeco tearing his achilles he too is now a question mark, that leaves Cushing, Mario as the only two guys I feel would absolutely start somewhere else. Antonio Smith and maybe Amobi would be the only other possible starters elsewhere right now. Jackson clearly needs more time before we know if he is a capable NFL corner and honestly I think his future may be a free safety.

So that is 6 names out of eleven that I am willing to give more time on the defense which means we have a minimum of five holes or positions that we should be immediately looking to upgrade, that will not happen in one draft and must be addressed in free agency as well.

These are just my thoughts on the state of the defense but I don't think we should expect a quick turnaround regardless of who is coaching them.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

go with a big name coach. Gruden or Cowher

3. Remix

Remix Member

Put me in Team Gruden with Singeletary as assistant

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Cowher or Gruden, please. The only person with no head coaching experience I will accept is Leslie Frazier.

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

and why are you asking..??

I hope you aren't considering him for the head coaching job are you..?

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno . . . .a nice meltdown would be nice to see
    like someone said. . . EMOTION!!!

Rocket River
    He is not a BAD coach.

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

They are who we thought they were??

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

As much as I would like love Gruden or Cowher, just don't see Bob spening that kind of money with Kubes still on the payroll.

I would like to see John Fox or Leslie Frazier be our next head coach along with a strong minded and independent GM. Fox is a proven winner going to multiple NFC title games and a Super Bowl while Frazier has been waiting for years to get a head coaching gig and built a really nice defense in Minnesota, this year being the exception to a point.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Frazier is now interim hc in Minny and I expect a mini-revival of sorts akin to what JGarrett is doing in Dallas. I doubt Minny will let him leave if he can get them 3 more wins.

My options would be Brian Billick, John Fox, John Gruden, Rob Ryan.

10. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I can live with one of those coaches. But I can see the Bengals, 49ers and maybe the Chargers looking for a new coach also.

I'm hoping for Gruden or Billick (or Turner ?) as head coach. Singletary DC ??

11. Two Sandwiches

My new updated wish list:

Cowher
    Gruden
    Herm Edwards
    Billick
    Rob Ryan
    Leslie Frazier
    John Fox (If available)
    Brian Schottenheimer
    Kyle Shannahan

Preferably, I would like a defensive-minded coach. Any coach we should hire, though, in my opinion, should be forced to bring in a top notch coordinator on the side of the ball that is not his specialty, though.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WOW! You don't like Kubiak at ALL!!!

what makes you think Herm will be better here than in KC?

Rocket River

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That would be huge. I think he'll be really sought after, and there might be a bidding war for him, but it would be awesome.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think you could very well see Wade Phillips in here next year as DC. I think the Billick-Phillips ticket could work

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

haha...no sh#t...the texans won't get someone until after the lockout...that said, we're stuck with the Kub...

16. Two Sandwiches

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree. I think we're stuck with Kubiak for at least another year. It doesn't make a ton of sense to change coaches this offseason, unless something gets worked out with the CBA. If nothing is worked out until summer (which probably will be the case), our new coach won't have access to the players until August or so. You try installing a new program (defensively and offensively) in three weeks and see how it works.

17. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Reviving this thread after last night's loss, I agree with jev5555 - Kubiak (/the Texans?) is (/are) cursed. McNair needs to shake things up regardless of the financial implications (aren't the Texans one of the most profitable sports teams on the planet? thought I read that somewhere but could be making it up).

Am I the only one who would kill to get Bob Stoops? I don't know if its the UT fan in me (cause I want to screw OU in the process), but I think he brings an attitude and an edge that is clearly lacking right now. Everything jev5555 said in his assessment in the first post was spot on, it's a gamble, but the guy has his players ready to play 4 quarters (not just one).

Thoughts?

P.S. Mr. Space City - did you create those images? Can you create one for Stoops?

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no, thanks. they need to go after someone who has been there and done that. they can't afford to miss on this one.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Stoops is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard.

20. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Mad Max, I agree, the Texans need to get it right - but why isn't Stoops the right choice? I know he has no prior NFL experience, but doesn't he deserve a shot? If he doesn't get his shot now, I'm sure he will sometime down the road.

Ziggy, why is it the worst idea you've ever heard?