1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for the Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jev5555, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That doesn't explain the huge yards-per-carry discrepancy. Last year as a team, it was 3.5. This year it's 4.8. Why is that? What's changed? We ran the same magical ZBS last year as we're running this year. Same O-line too. Could it be our RB's? Again, this is yards-per-carry which has nothing to do with how often you run vs pass.

Ward has 39 carries for the year. Not exactly a huge sample.

2. rocketshopeful

wow, reading this discussion is depressing. there is no light at the end of the tunnel insight. kubiak is staying (would be willing to bet on that), andre johnnson is just getting older, and the owner is thinks "we are on the right track."

3. Major

Major Member

Besides that, Arian Foster was pretty damn good in his end-of-year debut last year too, with that same OC.

1 person likes this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

That's a good point. Forgot how strong he came on towards the end of last year. It's almost as if he's actually a really good RB...

You're right, just comparing last year is a better example. Last year, Slaton had 3.3 ypc. Foster had a 4.8 ypc. Same year. Same OC. Same offense. Same O-line. But yeah, clearly it's the system and not the RB.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Really? Wade Smith was not on the team and Caldwell was second string.

6. No Worries

Tampa Bay disagrees with you or they would not have cut him, no?

7. ima_drummer2k

Oh, that changes everything.

And you still haven't explained this:

#247 ima_drummer2k, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  8. Major

Major Member

Oh you're right. If a running back isn't successful everywhere he goes, it must simply be the system. It couldn't be for any other reason.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

in all seriousness, i get the sense you'd never part ways with kubiak.

you'd give him a 7th year even if no playoffs....amirite??

10. No Worries

I am firmly in the Hire Bill Cowler crowd.

My opinion of Kubiak is that he is a mixed bag. He does not know how to build/run a defense. But his offense has produced.

The arguments I interwined in here are with the scorch-the-earth folks who hate everything about him.

I completely understand and emphasize with your point of view. He has had his chance and it is time to move on. The problem is that the owner does not share your opinion. The best we can hope for a new defensive staff, though that might be wishful thinking.

11. No Worries

Staton sucks. He fumbled too much, got in Kubiak's dog house and went mental. And his backup, Chris Brown, sucked as well.

I guess this open the door for your nextKubiak-is-evil attack: Kubiak should never started the season with those two sad sack RBs.

Or you might want to go with: Kubiak was such an asshat for not starting the undrafted free agent Foster out of training camp, since everyone knows that Staton and Browns suck and Foster was an all-pro to be. Kubiak just can't judge talent.

It is on him, Bill. It really is.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

got it...i misunderstood you. thanks.

13. ima_drummer2k

:confused:

You must have me confused with some other poster(s)?

How about I just go with: The offense isn't going to suddenly fall apart if we decide to hire a new head coach. The reason for that is because we actually have some good players who are capable of playing in a more conventional offense and not just Gary Kubiak's ZBS.

That's really the only point I've been trying to make. Not sure where you're getting that other stuff.

14. No Worries

You suggested the we-found-on-what-most-people-thought-was-a-bad-team's-trash-heap Ward was a decent RB.

Ward had success with a good running team, the Giants.

Ward also has had limited success with another good running team, the Texans.

Repeat after me. The Texan this year are a good running team. Thanks to Kubiak and whatever system he is using.

Let me guess your it-cant-be-because-of-Kubiak response: When teams see Foster leave the field, they think pass and let Ward wild. And Ward is a decent enough RB to do that.

15. Major

Major Member

You (and I and everyone else) have no idea if this is the case. There is no useful evidence either way as to what the owner is thinking.

No I didn't. I said he's had a good YPC before so it doesn't have to be Kubiak's system that makes him have a good YPC now. He wasn't the Giant's starting RB because he's not cut out to be a starting RB. The Texans got him because they wanted a good backup RB, which is what he is. He wasn't some kind of hidden gem. He's a backup RB, which tend to shuttle around from team to team all the time.

This year. But last year, they also had Kubiak's system. And they weren't a good running team. They didn't, however, have Foster (or Ward). You do the math.

16. No Worries

I am not sure you are right. You could be. I am just not sure.

Schaub is a third round draft pick. Daniels is a fourth round draft. Foster was not even drafted. Kevin Walters is a seventh round pick. These players have outperformed their pedigree. There is a chance that Kubiak's system has inflated their stats. That is a reasonable conclusion.

If the new HC installs a west coast passing offense, Schaub and his receivers should continue to do as well. If not, it is anybody's guess.

The running game is a different matter. The ZBS need smaller, quicker OL to be effective. Kubiak built the OL around the ZBS scheme. Can the OL be just as effective in a different blocking scheme? My best guess is that they can be, but it will take time and maybe one or two personnel changes.

What the new head coach does with the defense is more of concern. Can our secondary be coached up or do they really suck? Will Demeco Ryans regain his form? How long will it take to transition back to a 3-4? This could turn into a almost complete rebuild around Williams, Smith, and Cushing.

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If Les Alexander owned the Texans Kubiak would be fired the morning after their game against Jacksonville.

Starting games slow is a preparation problem- coach
    Losing alot of close games is a tactical problem- coach

This team obviously does not out prepare its opponents and does not put its players in the best position to exploit their strengths and the other team's weaknesses.

We are not football smart- coach

While we have had some good comebacks -give that to incredible play by Andre Johnson

I like Gary Kubiak, so do the players, but sometimes having a guy you love is not the same as having the best coach.

1 person likes this.
  18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not if he had connections to the Chinese markets. ;)