1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Duncan Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, May 13, 2016.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Yes sir indeed!

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Tim deserves one of those Kobe Bryant walkoff years where he just goes from city to city collecting memorabilia from teams. Now, his team can't go tanking the way the Lakers did, giving Kobe 25 shots a game. But Tim can definitely serve the mentor role, playing 10mpg and sitting in the back of the plane every night talking mess to the 'youngbloods'. I wish they would put Duncan in that Uncle Drew Pepsi commercial, with no makeup or disguise on at all, just as himself being old lol.

3. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely.

But let's not take my word for it.

Sean Elliott once described Tim Duncan as "...an anomaly. He's a big man and a gym rat. That's an oxymoron. You have a lot of bigs who play because they're big. Guards play because they love it. Timmy has a guard's mentality. He has a guard's passion for the game in a big body. That's why he's been so good." So what motivates Tim Duncan - a man as accomplished as any in the post-MJ era - to continue to push through the physical and personal taxes of one season after another?​

What does Pop say?

For a man as private as Duncan, it's unlikely that we will ever have a complete perspective on his life. What we do know is that the usual motivational factors for NBA players (money, haters, and legacy) just don't seem to apply. According to Pop, Duncan and Kobe Bryant's motivation is "all in their heart, in their passion. [They're] highly professional, highly motivated [and] don't need any external motivation whatsoever. They're very special in that regard. They self motivate. They do what they need to do to stay on the court. They take care of themselves, and they love the game."​

This type of locked-in pro athlete, especially among bigs, is extraordinarily rare; not just in today's NBA, but in the history of the game.

It's customary for superstars to dominate 3-5 years, but to do it consistently as long as Duncan and Kobe... there's something deeper at work.

It's the stuff of legends, and it can't be bought.

4. hakeemthagreat

Duncan's the best system player in NBA history. He was drafted into a great organization and coach who knew how to utilize him. But he is NOT the best PF. Having a GOAT career and being the GOAT player are 2 different things. I hate when ppl automatically call him the greatest PF because his rings. How many of those rings was he the best player?

5. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

3 or 4

Pretty damn good if you ask me.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wait, then who is the best PF? Duncan was a monster. Utah wins at least 1 title with Duncan instead of Malone.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Duncan was a player with no weaknesses for his position. Anchored a defense about as well as any big man in history, great rebounder, very efficient scorer, solid passer. Easily the best player of his generation (counting Shaq as an earlier "generation," though it's pretty arbitrary, drawing those lines).

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wow. Just wow.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was the plan for the T-Wolves when they brought Garnett back. Unfortunately injuries have prevented him from getting even 10mpg.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Guys, a lot of us have blocked the dumb trolls. Pls don't quote them.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

duly noted. I haven't posted on here enough, recently, so i'll need an updated spreadsheet of official trolls.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping he doesn't hang them up, Judo, because I love watching him play. He's one of my favorite non-Rocket players and arguably the best 4 in NBA history. Certainly top 3. Without him, SA is probably still searching for a championship. He deserves a proper send off next season, but he doesn't care about that stuff.

Class should be spelled D-U-N-C-A-N.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wish the Rockets had tanked (yes, even with Hakeem, Drexler, and Barkley on the team contending for a title) and got that pick to draft Duncan. That's my ultimate respect as a Rockets fan.

He's easily my favorite player who has never played for the Rockets.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Tim Duncan fits your signature perfectly. Last season's Rockets fits mine.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Duncan is a founder, president, and CEO of the Spurs system.

He was a system administrator.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Tim Duncan is the ultimate in stats not telling the whole worth of a players value. His stats during his prime were great, but his defensive presence was off the charts for basically his entire career. He's the anti-Terrence Jones, always knows where he's supposed to be, and what he was supposed to do.

Easily the GOAT at the 4, and top 20, close to top 10 all time.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Best since Jordan. Him or LeBron.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Duncan has the most opponent let-me-help-you-up's in the league. I've never seen a player help an opponent more than Duncan. Is Duncan the first ever kind dominant player?

Being nice is part of his strategy and it's genius. It makes sense, why give fuel to your opponent by being an asshat?

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He wasn't a good FT shooter. He wasn't particularly efficient either. He never had a 600TS% season. He won a lot, but he already had DRob on his team and then they got Manu and Tony. I think as individual player Lebron is the best player of the post Jordan generation.

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

tinman, tinman, tinman, tinman, tinman

[​IMG]