1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman says Rockets goal is to reach 50 wins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Reaching 50 wins would be great after the horrible start we had early in the season

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

True .

But tilman hasn't earned much good will around here .... and the skepticism is warranted IMO

When he said that getting under the LT was a coincidence of circumstances and not an actual intent .... he lost my benefit of the doubt .

I know damn well what tilman meant . 50 wins at this point probably means that we put together a nice little stretch .

But still , people are pissed , and tilman is the target of that anger right now .

Obviously our disappointments this season were caused by a combination : tilman , Morey , MDA , and players / luck .. in no particular order . But tilman is the owner now , and with that comes the responsibility.

3. lionaire

lionaire Member

I wish those rumors of Beyonce buying the team came true. She'd always have the right thing to say.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

At the beginning of the season, it would have been insanely low. Not at this point, though. Unfortunately, now it's something to strive for.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

how much of it is really on tilman that the rockets started the season with mcw, melo, ennis as offseason prizes

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

And can you believe a $20 multibet of 8 team's Over/Under win records for the season to net just over $6,000...... is going to be lost because of my own Houston Rockets.

It absolutely stings when the other 7 are well on their way

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People would have questioned his grades in maths. The best they could go are....... 5 8.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well he was the owner then .

So he's the one that has been placing the constraints all season .

We let Ariza go . We left MLE untouched . We did the Anderson trade .

I don't know that any of those moves were so horrible as to tank our season . Ennis played decently . I know some people hate him . Some people used to hate him and now love him . I've always thought he was OK ....

MCW was bizarre but he played well in preseason and maybe had upside

Same with Melo , low risk - high reward .

Morey moved on from those pieces quickly and didn't lose anything (except cash) to move them .

I think it's hard to tell exactly how much is on tilman ... just like it's hard to tell how much is on Morey or MDA .

But tilman is the one who places the constraints on each decision . Sometimes it doesn't matter . Sometimes it does . Also , we can't see the limits of what tilman allows .

Ariza at 15m is a huge overpay and even in hindsight I don't think the rockets should ever have paid him that much .... but perhaps he would have settled for 8-10 and Morey was not given the OK to keep him .

I can't prove tilman has done anything wrong . But you can't prove he's been a gracious owner and everything is solely moreys fault

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

you got it ;)

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean, he's not out of line. Most projections that's out there has us finishing between 47 and 52 wins based on the remaining schedule.

Both models on 538 has us at finishing with a 50-32 record.

Basketball-reference currently has us at 47 wins.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

not trying to say its solely morey's fault. perhaps its more likely a mixture of both but morey has a more definitive hand in choosing who may or may not fit. he's not immune to criticism. he does make mistakes

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

it's only ok when Morey projects but not you Tilman. Maybe make a twiiter account and say witty remarks, that will win you the crowd like Morey

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed .

Like I said in my OP .... it's a mix of : Morey , tilman , MDA , players , and luck .

It's impossible to separate out and assign percentage blame lol .

In fact I agree that CF getting mad about this tilman quote is typical and incorrect .

But I also think that tilman deserves no sympathy and has played a role in the disappointment so far

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sell the team you POS

vick likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

ill admit it may not look good to many. but the rockets got out of mcw, melo, ennis and the disastrous start with plenty of time in the season. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they finish the season strong and be ready for a deep run however that happens. The core is absolutely there already. lets see what happens

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree .

But getting out of Melo , and MCW has to be attributed almost solely to Morey right ?

That him cleaning up his mistakes ... which I agree he makes , but he usually corrects quickly too .

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Here's a more conservative projection from basketball-reference.com

brprojections.JPG

It's pretty incredible that 10-12 teams could end up playing close to .500 or better basketball by season's end.

18. amaru

amaru Member

Wow....you cherry picked the hell out of Tilman's quote. It's obvious he was referring to his goals for the rest of the regular season. Nobody seriously counts win totals over the course of the playoffs.

Nook and YOLO like this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Hey folks... 50 wins including pre-season and playoffs is well within reach.

amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

It costs. He got students doing it for min wage