1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman press conference -- UPDATE: FULL VIDEO in OP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 10, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

interesting though. if he didn't even acknowledge DM much, people would probably spin it as if DM's days are numbered

macho GRANDE likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fertitty time!

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tad:

Leslie...
    wanted someone who was a Houston native
    wanted someone to embrace the culture, team, resources & people here to get to the next level
    wanted someone who could close quickly; didn't want this into the season
    wanted a fair price

Tilman:

We have the best GM in the NBA. It's great to have this management team.

I know you'll ask me this but I do think we have one of the top management teams in Tad, Daryl & the staff underneath them.

Style?

I didn't think the players cafeteria was nice. We're gonna fix it. That's what kind of owner I'm gonna be.

I'm gonna totally rely on the people that do this every day.

I'm Tilman Fertitta. The people that know me, I'm just gonna be Tilman.

I've known Tad since he started here. I've sat next to Les on the front row. What I like most is owning it. I like owning things. I'm excited. Think about what I walked into.

The name of the game is to get into the playoffs. This is a superstar league. You don't get there without having a James Harden. Add a Chris Paul, WCF.

Daryl has a group in basketball operations that is unbeleivable, from Keith Jones on down. We'll make good decisions & do whatever it takes to win. I can promise that.

There is nothing like the NFL, we all agree. But people don't know where it'll be in 50 years. Baseball, the average viewing age is 60 years old. Then the NBA has become this true world sport besides soccer. Leaving out Hockey, this is by far the best one to have today. I would have been scared to pay 2.2B for a NFL franchise today. NBA is where it's at.

Have you looked at the numbers if you were to keep this team together?

I have. Daryl stuck them in front of my face. This is a real business with tough decisions. I had no idea what tough decisions there is to make every single year. I'll take recommendations from Daryl & Tad. These guys know what they're doing.

How does Tilman adjust(with so many other business ventures) & Les was against the NHL. Are you open minded to that?

I multi-task better than anyone. I'm here for the heavy lifting & hard decisions. Daryl & Tad have already seen that I look around the room, where are you? I like a consensus. Either I'll convince you or you'll convince me. We'll walk out of this room & agree. If you see a tough decision, you'll see us agreeing. We'll never agree to disagree. If everyone wants to go one way & I want to go the other, we'll go their way.

Tad: We've looked at many NHL teams over the year. The deals didn't work. Leslie was always looking for opportunities but the NHL at the time, the teams we looked at, the numbers didn't work. Tilman & I have talked about a number of things. We'll look at everything that makes sense. Like anything, if the numbers don't work, I won't recommend it to him.

Landry's at Toyota Center?

Will you start seeing some of our brands & food? Yes. I'm in the hospitality business. If I'm sitting with you & you need coffee, I'll go fill it. I'll try to make everythign better for you & my customers. There are no spare customers. You're all a customer of the Houston Rockets & Landry organization.

Policy for the national anthem?

What's interesting is, which is really good, is the NBA has a policy which is everyone will stand up. I think it's good. That's what we should do. I totally believe in free speech. Everyone should do what they want on their time. But the NBA has a policy & we'll live by the NBA policy. I have to follow their policy so I expect the players to.

"Who the hell set us up with Golden State when they're getting their rings?"

"I like to change rules. I need to change a few NBA rules."

Deuce, Tha_Dude, ipaman and 5 others like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

man, Tillman is really passionate about this team...he really wanted this, it's not just some toy to him

I'm excited to have him as our owner right now

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tad Brown says a half dozen buyers were being taken seriously ... but "Tilman took it with his passion."

s3ts, Plowman, Killatron 2000 and 5 others like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

'Most committed to our Fans in China'

We respect the hustle!

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've got a good feeling about this.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He's definitely sincere. He ain't faking this. It's all about Houston to him. And he wants to pass it on to his family, to keep that connection.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We will miss Alexander's laugh!

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The way he says Tay-Ota Center is starting to annoy me...lol

J.R. and napalm06 like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

TF: It's crazy but the NBA will not allow players to be a TV show. They can't appear on my show. I'm struggling with this one. My show, my players & they can't appear? The NBA has a reason for everything they do. When you see the backstory, pretty sharp. I want to have Chris & James on my show.

The NBA will have to get used to my sense of humor. I don't break rules. The rules are the rules. You will not see me break rules.

We need to make sure hockey fans live in Houston, TX & Houstonians will support a team. Aeros were only drawing 2-3K people a game. We need 16K-18K people in that stadium every night. If I get a NHL team, citizens have to commit to help me do it.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA is a darn TV show!

#17 Fertitta, baby!

Tha_Dude and RasaqBoi like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I had my reservations about Tilman owning the team only because of his net worth. I worried that he wouldn't be willing to make the financial sacrifices to get this team to the top but his passion for the club makes me feel confident he'll do anything and everything to get this city more championships.

Plowman likes this.
  14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

So this is how Texas accent sounds like?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Texan drawl

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Aeros were never averaged less than 5,100...they averaged nearly 7500 one season...for minor league hockey.

Honestly, Aeros crowds are in no way indicative of how well an NHL team would draw here...they're an entirely different market. The NHL is an extremely corporate game, like the NBA. Houston has a broad base of big companies...they'll draw every bit as well as the other southern markets. And their team's value will be influenced by the fact they play in a huge market.

Plowman likes this.
  17. rockpileindisma

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

It would not surprise me if they open the arena for daily lunches on weekdays. Or have slot machines and black jack tables :)

Rocketsfanguy and DonKnock like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

No one asked about uniforms/logo. Son I am disappoint. :(
    ;)

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Is it too late for him to adopt me?