1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta expresses interest in buying Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 17, 2017.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

errr, fertitta owns restaurant chains from coast-to-coast as his main business -- what exactly are you arguing?

and you say les is worth nearly $2B, which basically accounts for his stake in the rockets franchise, aside from which the remainder of his investment portfolio is ho-hum pedestrian

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

His net worth was valued at $1.2b when the rockets were valued at $575m, it's now at $1.9b when the team is valued at $1.65b

He's either dropped over half his value outside the Rockets, or the valuations are a bit flippant.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Stories like these are the wet dream of every person that wants to be rich. :D

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Chains like Applebees and McDonald's are struggling as people are looking for higher quality options when dining out. This isn't a secret. The Landry's Corp chains are growing and they're now looking to add Joe's Crab Shack and Brick House Taverns from Ignite Restaurant Group. If they're struggling, they're doing it wrong.

5. hakeemthagreat

i wish Hakeem could get in on this

6. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

From the Toyota Center, to the Landry's Center. Or worse, the Rainforest Cafe Center.

I highly dislike his business model, he buys a lot of high value restaurants (Brenners, McCormick Schmucks, etc), streamlines them with Sysco grade food (yuck), and sells it at high price points. All that Bubba Gump, Landry's crap is terrible, I refuse to eat at them.

The only benefit I see from his ownership of the Rockets is that it'll only be him. Unlike the Astros with Crane and the Texans with McNair, Fertita is probably not going to have dozens of minority owners. That's the way it was with Les, it was always only Les. I prefer that

This would be a plus, because the minority owners won't be hassling him about their returns on investment or necessity to pay off their business loans.

#106 TMac'n, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    RCPM and AirBud#10 like this.
  7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure Tilman would love to add his favorite Cougar/Houstonian- Dream to the ownership but Dream is worth $200 million per Forbes. It would be in name only at that rate.

Best thing about Tilman is he truly wants to win and knows it takes an expert team under him to get that done. Someone mentioned Tad Brown connection, if true then I would bet he gives Tad and Morey plenty of time to succeed as he learns the ownership role.

AirBud#10 likes this.
  8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Are you sure about that? Most of his assets are not liquid. In fact, I would venture to say he has less liquid assets than Jim Crane when he was getting his team together to buy the Astros. Unless he's going to sell most if not all of his Landry's stakes, I think his team will be similar to Jim Crane's.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Unless you are getting one of the BIG BOY billionaires involved, it's almost impossible for a single person to buy the team at the current prices. I love all the Facebook posts about Bun B and Jay-Z and Mattress Mack, etc. People have no concept of money at that scale. $2-$3 billion in a single buyer price isn't "rich people" money it's "top 50 Forbes" money and none of these people are on that list. You need the top 2 Houstonian billionaires to be the buyer if you want a single owner most likely.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya most of his equity aside from the team went belly up some years back, i think the stock was First Marblehead (FMD)

the trend is not tillman's friend... http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-07-15/us-restaurant-industry-stuck-worst-collapse-2009

and i see nothing remarkable/unique about his restaurant holdings nor the ones he aims to acquire that would warrant exception to the overall trend

11. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

No, I don't know, I'm just speculating. Also, it doesn't mean that Fertita couldn't just take out a loan to finance some or the majority of the acquisition. He has enough collateral and assets to pull off such a loan

12. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Bad customer service so the salesmen deserves to be fired. Tilman would be a jerk if he did a "Do you know who I am?"

13. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

In August 2016, Tilman donated $20 million to the University of Houston to renovate the basketball arena.

14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be surprised if he has the assets to pull it off. I don't think he's wealthy enough on his own.