1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman Fertitta expresses interest in buying Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 17, 2017.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I used to play there at the church when I was a kid. We had to sneak through the bars back then though. I guess today that'd be an arrestable offense or something.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Hospitality business. Probably bad to own a sports team I agree.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You should probably research some of the early stories about Les. Introverted or not... he wasn't always well-liked. One of the first things the dude did when he took over the Rockets was fire Calvin Murphy (and many others) for cost-cutting. Firing Murph was bizarre. People that don't deal with these guys have no clue what they're like. I remember people used to say how great Drayton McLane would be for the Astros. Buddy Ryan was supposed to be a God-send as a head coach for the Oilers. Man, I've heard it all and one thing you realize is that you really don't know a damn thing until years later because you're living in a separate world from the one they operate in. It's why fans are fans. They have all the answers but usually can't comprehend the quesitons. :D

That being said, as a fan, Les has been a pretty damn good owner. ;)

4. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

After all, it is a business investment. The team is probably worth around 2B and i wonder how much the yearly net gain is.

Honestly, we are still a bit far away from winning a championship let alone building a dynasty, which will be the only case where a new owner would actually make money. Les is smart for selling the team at its highest value but i dont see much financial potential in buying the team if Tilman seeks to resell the team at a higher value.

5. rockets13champs

I started bing watching this show now

6. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Lmfao. I like it.

Yung-T and Jayzers_100 like this.
  7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

8. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

does any ever dine at his restaurants?

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Na but i heard the guy loves ted... so he could be a steal...

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No. I go to seafood restaurants to eat fresh seafood. I don't go to see "exploding volcanoes" or to ride Ferris wheels.

TMac'n, Yung-T, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Never heard of this guy until today. Watched an interview of him..seems nice, savvy, dislikes Trump. I tentatively approve

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

restaurant industry is in severe decline nationally. we don't need another owner like les who lost his shirt in his core business

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"He's best known as a hardball restaurant tycoon with a reputation for to throwing trash cans all over kitchen floors in anger.

But Tilman Fertitta, owner of the $4billion Landry's restaurant group, has been taking a quieter role over the last six months - as Gabby Giffords's chief protector.

Fertitta, a close friend of the injured congresswoman and her astronaut husband Mark Kelly, has put his power, money and influence - not to mention his private jet, restaurants and luxury yacht - at their disposal ever since she was shot in the head in Tucson in January."

14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Wasn't Murphy fired because of the sexual assault charges that he eventually was found innocent of?

15. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Les learned a lesson about losing shirts and started to monogram his initials on them.

pippendagimp likes this.
  16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Sure. All the time. My kid doesn't really like Rainforest Cafe anymore, so we don't go there much(although he loves T-Rex which unfortunately has only 2 locations in the US). But we went to Saltgrass recently, and a few months back we went to Babin's. I have no idea what kind of dude Fertitta is, but I've enjoyed the food at most of the Landry's restaurants I've been to.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That was the 2nd time he was let go.

18. RCPM

RCPM Member

NO NO NO NO NO!!!

thedreamsteam likes this.
  19. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's simply not true. Much of any decline is in year over year chain sales. Independent restaurant growth is strong...especially in Houston where the industry is booming.

Les is still worth nearly $2B. Must have been just a t-shirt he lost in the laundry.