1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thunder sign Alec Burks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2019.

1. TimV

TimV Member

It's not my money, so would rather have a 50 win team that's paying a hefty luxury tax than a team that is losing and rebuilding. But I'm neither an owner nor a player desperate for a ring.

If Houston finds themselves in the same situation after this year, hopefully the management figures out a way to get something out of the implosion. There is nothing worse than a mediocre team that is capped out and has dumped all of its assets hopelessly moving pieces around the chessboard.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Fox sports suggested trade
    Tobias Harris for Russell.
    GS would demand a First from philly.

Draymond and Harris forward

3. biff17

biff17 Member

A 50 win team is not mediocre.

What situation do you think they will find themselves in that will constitute an implosion?

4. TimV

TimV Member

A 50 win team in the West is a projected 1st round exit every year (e.g. the Thunder). If you're not paying luxury tax, that's fine. If you're paying $50M in taxes, not really an advantageous position.

If Paul continues a decline this year and Tillman doesn't go into the tax, Harden may get as frustrated by the team treadmilling as George and Westbrook were with the Thunder. The Rocket's have almost 80% of the cap tied to Capela, Harden and Paul in 20-21.

5. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Exactly why I think it's time for OKC to blow it up

That would be a huge win for GS. A forward who fits their roster better and can replace some of the shooting and rebounding that walked (ok, limped) out the door with Durant, PLUS a first rounder? I doubt Philly does that.

6. BigBum

BigBum Member

According to fox sports, philly gets better after getting Russell.

7. biff17

biff17 Member

A projected 1st round team?

What does that have to do with anything?

Harden may be frustrated?

I have no idea what your point is and you never answered my question.

What constitutes an implosion?

8. Sanity2disChaos

Be everything Fultz wasn’t.

9. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Link? Not challenging you, just curious to read that.

10. TimV

TimV Member

A team that barely make or miss the playoffs and exits early each year fits the mediocre rating from me. Good teams are competitive for championships. Great teams are a disappointment when they don't win it all. So yeah, a 50 win team in the West is pretty mediocre. You're going to face a great team each year. There is little point in paying a repeater luxury tax just for the privilege of playing an extra week.

I think it is pretty clear. If the Rockets do not make it past the 2nd round again this year, I think they implode just like the Thunder. The team's roster is win now. It doesn't get any better from here when 80% of your cap goes to 3 players.

11. biff17

biff17 Member

That's your definition of what a mediocre team is and the Rockets have shown nothing to think they will barely make the playoffs and getting past the 2nd round has variables.

So in your opinion we should blow it up and wait 5 plus years and suck to not make it past the 2nd round like the Celtics, Sixers and Denver.S

The Rockets never blew it up and they have gotten past the 2nd round so how does that fit your narrative?