1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Throwback] Yao Ming 36 Pts,19 Rebs vs Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rox4lyf, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Mr. Motiejunas

Will Tmac make the Basketball Hall of Fame?

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Obviously I didn't meant to imply that 1 on 1 Draymond Green would shut Yao down. Basketball is a 5 on 5 game, but Green would be the main person playing center guarding Yao. Of course he would have help, fronting necessitates it.

Small ball lineups are exactly what caused Yao the most trouble. Pit him up against a traditional center and Yao would always dominate, but small ball lineups was Yao's kryptonite, and the Warriors just happen to have one of the best small ball lineups in history. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Yao would miraculously dominate today's Warriors, there is everything pointing to the opposite.

3. conquistador#11

yeah but you had luifa to kill them softly with the midrange scoops, aaron fly by or threes, and the bowling ball that was lowry. plus, artest would knock the dandruff out draymond. you guys think the rockets went to the conference champion last season. But 2009, the lakers v rockets was the finals series. f'ing injuries.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Proof that people can't talk neutrally about Yao Ming's game. Those Utah series will always go down as some of the most painful series ever, for many reasons, but one of them being Yao getting nullified by Okur and Boozer.

I don't get why this sour post was made in this thread, but still. Let's be real. Yao had fantastic, rare gifts, and major glaring weaknesses.

Saying Green would punk Yao is "ad hominem"? LOL. I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Let's just do what Clutchfans usually doesn't do well, and remember the good times.

(Also, forget Draymond Green. That dude is a flopping, hacking nightmare to play against. Flopping agitators were Yao's greatest weakness.)

5. mig0s

mig0s Member

I miss Yao but that team was filled with mediocre players... Bonzi, Head, Mike James, Scolandry, etc

6. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Yao would get murdered if he played against the current Warriors. No argument there from me. So would other great big men like Shaq, who would fare slightly better than Yao offensively, but still hurt his own team on defense if Draymond played the 5. The Warriors will go down as the best team in regular season history, so yes Yao would struggle as would a lot of other dominant post players in the past.

But, no idea why you brought up Draymond's name in the first place other than to bait other posters. The OP is a clip against the 2008 Warriors...in no way was there any suggestion made that Yao would do the same thing against the 2015 Warriors.

7. val_modus

val_modus Member

You mean shut down by refereeing and officiating right? I remember games where I would have a ridiculous amount of respect for how he would not lose his **** for the way the refs officiated him.

8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Why are there no ISO's?????????

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I miss that team.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hard to believe, but Rockets had a game where only 4 total players scored.

When speaking of zone hurting bigs' offense, no one mentions it can help their defense. Shaq doesn't have to chase Draymond (or whoever) around. He could stay near paint, just not in it more than 3 seconds. If the opponent wants to jack 3's without a teammate under the basket, let them. Offensively, Shaq was more athletic, coordinated, and had much better hands than Yao. He wasn't nearly as susceptible to fronting and would destroy Dramond and the Warriors. Was only a few years ago when he retired. He experienced the Flop-Era and zones, yet was still able to post the highest FG%'s of his career in his old age.

#30 Houstunna, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You want draymond green shooting open 3s? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't see many teams with 5 players above the 3PT.

Regardless, 4 vs 5 on the 3PT line is better than giving up layups. All backcuts and most drives would be eliminated with Shaq in the paint.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

He's always like that. TheRealist137's Cheerios has R. Kelly on the box.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The poster before me said that Yao routinely destroyed the Warriors. I anticipated somebody saying that if we had that Yao today we would be better than GS. I went ahead and quelled that notion before it could be forwarded.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I miss watching Yao's game. I also miss watching what an offense with ball and player movement looks like.

16. hakeemthagreat

Yao made the game alot more easier. Too bad the NBA has went away from post play.

FYI Draymond would absolutely give Yao problems. Remember the smaller players used to front Yao? It was painful watching those years

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Ah...when we had a coach that coached...

18. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

This team wasn't as talented as the present team but they were so much more disciplined and played hard every night ! Can't say that about the present team :(

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I miss Rick Adelman my 2nd favorite Rox coach behind Rudy T.

DD

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I must have watched a different play off series.

Yao's weakness weren't against players like green or any of the Jazz squad individually, it was because he couldn't receive a lob over the top when they fronted him. He was too wide and slow to reverse, thus his guy fronting him and another guy sagging the paint worked beautifully.

The team being unable to capitalize on the weakness the strategy provided was why we lost. We couldn't make them pay, so Yao went essentially 2v1 the whole series, at least when attempting to receive the pass.

We desperately needed slashers and athleticism, at a time morey wasn't concerned with speed. I think he realizes the folly of that approach now, but hindsight is 20/20

1 person likes this.