1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Threes in theory are better but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 1, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Look at all our open shots last game . . .and look who shot them . .. . do you think two steps in makes a difference?

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rocket River

mockster, steddinotayto and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Midrange is so 90’s....
    3’s and layups is where it’s at...
    Perhaps we should look into post ups & bring back the in-n-out game...
    Morey..... you listening????

4. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

But is there a good post player available out on the market that can be had?

5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Trust me, if we have Thompson and curry, we probably will win 5 championships in a roll.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Instead of decreasing the shots that we were actually good at (3s) we should look at taking away shots that haven't been as effective (Capela lobs) to manufacture more mid range?

Diversity/variety has value but you cannot ask for it at the expense of something that we've done effectively for the most part over the past 3 years against this team

BeBreezy likes this.
  7. mockster

mockster Member

Gordon can hit 2s fact. He use to do it all the time, rivers also done it his whole career. Green isn’t shy either and usually can hit them

Nothing to argue. Just because there more efficient st three doesn’t mean they are incapable of hitting 2-4 mid rangers a game. These guys can hit mid rangers there nba shooters it’s the most basic shot.

You make it sound as if it’s inpossible for them to do so. Once again no one is suggesting them to start taking mid rangers left n right. Just take the smartest/efficient shot and shooting well guarded threes isn’t always the best thing

I know your personality is to always be right so I’ll leave it at that.

#67 mockster, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  8. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Dmo o_O

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

I gave u Rivers’ and EG’s career percentages from midrange...u just want to disregard them because they weaken your already weak argument

they have done it their whole career on garbage percentages...their shooting from there has been horrific, and that’s facts...that is not their game

Rivers has done it his whole career? Stop telling me lies...

you’ve even tried to tell me that PJ Tucker of all people should be shooting from midrange...

2-4 midrangers a game? Lol, on how many attempts? 6-10 midrange jumpers a game each in place of doing stuff they are far better at?

Nah, my personality is to be annoyed by people who just disregard facts and data.

Denovo, harold bingo and jordnnnn like this.
  10. mockster

mockster Member

Here’s some “data”

Those percentages aren’t bad?. They aren’t great but once again it doesn’t mean they can’t hit 2s?. As I said nobody is telling them to start shouting twos instead just mix them in organically. I know what Gordon and green/rivers can do and I know they can hit em
    They’ve done it many times

It’s silly though if you can hit a three you can hit a closer shot that’s just silly. A jumper or fade-away is one thing but an open mid ranger is easy money for just about anybody who can shoot the ball

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

heypartner likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

wow, 1 huge anomaly...I guess that’s the best u got tho huh

I’m sure EG, and the rest of our limited offensive players like Tucker and Ariza would’ve just killed it from midrange in game 7 against the Warriors’ defense

only 1 on this team in which there’s an argument for them taking more midrange jumpers is Harden, period...everyone else sucks at it

Voltik likes this.
  13. mockster

mockster Member

27 straight is not an anomaly and this isn’t the first time rockets have went dead from behind the arc. Well I’ve actually played basketball at a high level and you saying rivers or Gordon can’t hit 2s is laughable in itself. It may not be their strong point but They are not garbage at it. Anybody capable of shooting can hit a basic wide open pop and shot 2. Once again nobody is asking them to start shooting 2s at a high rate just when it makes sense. Cuz what doesn’t make sense is shooting threes 6 inches behind the line with two defenders near by

and tbh they would’ve cuz anything beats 27 straight missed

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Those percentages aren’t bad? Man, what? Those percentages are horrific.

It doesn’t seem like u know what they can do at all. They’ve done it many times? Where? In warmups? In game, they’re bricks. Midrange is not their game.

easy money for EG, Rivers, Tucker, etc who all shoot horribly from there...sure man, if u say so

15. mockster

mockster Member

Gordon can hit any shot harden or Paul can. He’s more then capable that’s for sure, idc what you say about stats. You could make a case for rivers and green even though green has a pretty good stroke regardless. Once again nobody is asking them to change there game just take the better/easier shot.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

27 straight isn’t an anomaly? It was only the 1st time in NBA history it had been done, but yeah, not an anomaly...sure man, sure...

You’ve played basketball at a high level? Funny, because I can’t tell. I’m sure you’re out there balling at LA Fitness against a bunch of 40 year olds.

No, they wouldn’t have, because they’re not good at it. U really think Ariza, EG, Tucker, and the rest of the squad would’ve just started killing it from midrange in game 7. Lol, u know what, I’m done with this...

17. mockster

mockster Member

10-15 straight is an anomaly, 27 is not.... that’s just plain garbage

Plus there are more games out there where they’ve had similar shooting droughts that honestly could be considered equally bad they just didn’t go that cold

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Please for your own good. Surf through basketball reference and look through shooting percentages in all the ranges they give. You keep saying things that aren’t really sensical. Gordon can hit any shot Harden or Paul can? Well so could I. At an extremely worse rate. Which is what Reeko is trying to enlighten you on.

Also the book I posted earlier in this thread. You don’t even have to buy the thing. Just read the free portion of the intro.

19. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Hmm. We just lost a game in which we shot 42.5% and golden state shot 30% from 3. Not saying out 3s only is bad. Buuut math wise we should have whipped them yet..

mockster likes this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol wait. Now Id also suggest a stats course or two. 15 is the anomaly, 27 isn’t?