1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Threaten to swith to U-verse and...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Let us know how they ended up keeping up their end on your next bill.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You might be surprised at how many people don't realize they can do this. The trick is to have a real viable option to switch to. If you make a threat to leave, but use a provider that doesn't cover your neighborhood, they'll know you're BS-ing them.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There are only 2 internet providers in Kingwood - CenturyLink and SuddenLink. And they both blow chunks.

This is 2015, right? It's not 1998? How can there only be 2 providers for an area like Kingwood? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It should be renamed Queenwood, or maybe Baronwood. Baron of good internet options. ;-)-

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Around $200 but that includes some rented movies and phone as well.

I want to point out that UVerse was also going to have to use our existing telephone wires, and their internet speed would actually be less at the top end.

I switched (yeah, I can spell it) the modem out yesterday and have been flying all day today.

They didn't at first, they basically moved my phone around to another area of the bill, I had to call and get them to put it to what we agreed - and they did it.

DD

6. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I love my Comcast internet! But the customer service is straight trash.

7. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I believe this is obligatory...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I think you overestimate call center reps. Most do not know the competitors boundaries, and if they did, they simply do not care. The retention barometer for the reps is their job security. This is why you often hear stories about "no notes" from the previous call. For the rep, the game is not about keeping you as a customer. Its about that reps name not being tied to the disconnect order. If they can get you off the phone w/out you disconnecting on that call, its a win to them.

Ironically enough, when Verizon and ATT stopped negotiating and started offering the 'take it or leave it', their customer satisfaction went up. The confusion of bonus minutes, bonus data, short term discounts, unwarranted contracts was no longer a problem.

9. NateNate

NateNate Member

I did this a while back with directv and my clear spot. Got my clear spot from 55 to 20 permanently, so I ket them even though some of y'all wouldn't know what to do with those "speeds"

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

'Retail' price is for suckers. Everyone should play the market with every single provider: Communications, utilities, insurance, lawn care service, home warranties, etc....anything you pay a regular fee for. If there's competition, every time your intro deal runs out and even if it's been a while since it's changed. After the first no, just call back and try again. If that doesn't work, cancel. A lot of companies have retention departments that will call you back and offer you a better deal even if the rep you talked to said no. At the very worst you can sign back up and get a better deal the day after you cancel (in most cases).

I'm honestly surprised that DD even posted a thread about this, as I see him as a successful businessman. Getting a lower price on a utility shouldn't really be remarkable. Haggling is business 101 in my book...heck, it should be 21st Century common sense 101.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I lived there for 23 years.

That will be the place I raise my family.

My parents had sudden link!

12. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

My UVerse promo's expired last week. I called and when the automated system asks why you are calling say 'Cancel Service'. This will automatically route you to their retention department.

I then explained that I can get the same service with Comcast for much less, bla bla...in the end they lowered the bill by about $55 and bumped up the internet for same price. So now I pay $146 for U300 and Max Turbo internet (24 Mbps).

Also a tip for Uverse customers. It's really easy to get HBO and Cinemax for free if you have U300 or lower. Just login to your account and go to the section where you add/remove services. They always seem to have a promo for HBO/Cinemax free for 3 months...add it...then remove it in 3 months. Then right after that add the HBO free for 3 months...remove it in 3 months...then repeat the same in 90 days :)

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

DD, how in the world did your family survive on 20/2? I cringed reading that

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I used to have 25/5.
    Honestly it wasn't too bad with two other roommates.

200/20 is an amazing upgrade though and I don't think I can ever go back.