1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on Wilcox's workout...fishy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jun 20, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Maybe I'm completely overthinking the situation but I can't help but wonder if something is going on behind the Yao-scenes that we don't know about. Ponder this...

We all know that the Knicks/Cablevision would pretty much give up anything (including the NY Rangers) for the chance to draft Yao. We also know (or at least think we know) that if China had its choice of any city in the league for Yao to play in, it would probably be NY.

J-Wil says there is no shot of him working out for the Rockets given their stance on drafting Yao. On the other hand, Wilcox, who appears to be a lock at #7 to the Knicks (assuming no one else jumps in and takes him), has worked out or will be shortly. Why bother? I mean, it appears that if the Rox dont draft Yao, Dunleavy (as unappealing as it may sound to some of us) may be the guy.

Is there any possibility that our backup plan (or maybe our Plan A) is drafting Yao and trading him to NY for Wilcox (if he falls) and perhaps another player (maybe Rice and Mo for Spre and filler along with the swap of Yao and Wilcox?) It would fill a couple of needs at the 3 and a more athletic, rebounding 4. I realize that nobody here like Sprewell but try to forget it for a minute. If Wilcox doesn't fall to NY, we keep Yao and everyone is happy. I know the Chinese have said that they don't want the rox to trade him but I would have to think if there was one exception to the "no trade promise" that it would have to be NY.

I don't mean for this to be a silly trade proposal thread, but the Wilcox workout just got me thinking and I needed to think out loud.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Man, it's a long time between draft lottery and the draft itself. Too much time to ponder this stuff. I know; I'm as guilty as anyone.

I don't know what to make of the Wilcox workout. If the sort of trade you mention is out there, I would hope a third team is involved. Spree's got some mileage on him, and he's expensive.

Maybe we're just trying to squeeze another team for a trade scenario, maybe we've got our backup plans.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I see you working, but all I can say is that I hope that the Rockets have more sense than that.

Wilcox is a fine player, but we have a logjam at the 4 spot. Unless Griffin has grown and the Rox sincerely believe he can man the 5, this is a terrible scenario.

Also, Sprewell is either at the tail of his prime or declining. Francis and Co need people that are entering into their prime.

If the stuff hits the fan on the Yao front, I'd trade down with GS for the No. 3, take Butler (or Dunleavy), and further considerations (like GS's 1st rounder next year and/or Fortson, who can be peddled for other stuff).

I think the Rox are just doing due diligence, to make sure they don't think that Wilcox would be their plan B, in lieu of Butler or MD.