1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on the new Supra?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, May 16, 2019.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

Agree on all your points.

It sucks that the MK4 Supra is at all time high and people aren't comparing them stock vs stock. They see all the high horsepower builds on social media and can't see what the Supra used to be. They also seem to ignore that is costs $$$ to build these Supra's you see on social media. Stock form this new supra does 0-60 in less than 4 seconds which is crazy for a $50k price bracket car. This new supra is faster in all aspects stock vs stock. The really disappointing part like you mentioned was the lack of a manual.

Cheif Engineer of the supra said there might be a manual in the future. Kind of weird that he mentioned that adding a manual would take away people from the FRS/BRZ. But they're in completely different price brackets so idk.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...oyota-supra-manual-transmission-future-plans/

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't understand how people hold on to nostalgia so much. The new BMW B58 ***** on the 2JZ when it comes to efficiency and potential power output.

The chassis is miles ahead of the mkIV. Modern material science along with modern FEA analysis has allowed for modern chassis to be significantly more rigid and requiring less mass. There is absolutely nothing about the previous generation Supra that is objectively better than the modern one. It's faster, it handles SIGNFICANTLY better, it's more efficient, it's safer etc. The only thing the MKIV Supra has over the new one is a manual transmission and that probably will change in a year or two.

Honestly the new Supra pending a manual transmission is the perfect car I wished a manufacturer produced. A reasonably priced fast nimble sports car that was designed from the ground up to be a sports car. Love what Toyota has done.

3. biff17

biff17 Member

What you are missing is that most people are not buying a car for the chassis or for the specs.

It's about the looks for me not anything about nostalgia I think the previous gen was beautiful.

How many times are you going to use any of that chassis performance?

Rox11 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

I'm disagreeing with that philosophy. I think it's a silly metric. You drive the car more than staring at it. I care about the car that is more fun.

I don't understand the rational behind it. It doesn't mean I want to ban the thought. Stop being so confrontational over disagreement. It's a message board. I'm expressing my opinion.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's hard to believe that there is a Tesla and Dodge Demon that has sub 0-60 times of under 2.5 seconds. I read that Tesla will soon have a sub 2 second, I think 1.9 second 0-60 car soon. What if everyone on the road was able to go that fast lol?!?!

6. fchowd0311

I think you don't understand what I mean by fun. Acceleration is good which the new Supra has plenty of bit I'm more referring to how controllable and fun the car is on that balance limit between understeer and oversteer and how willingly a car is able to change direction along with other factors such as steering feed back etc. Basically the more a production car with all the safety regulations drives more like a gokart the more the car is fun to me.

#46 fchowd0311, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    likestohypeguy likes this.
  7. biff17

biff17 Member

How am being confrontational?

Just having a discussion about what I think is more important.

You act like the last gen Supra was a slug it was definitely a fun car to drive especially the twin turbo.

I don't understand why this is does not compute for you most people buy cars for their looks, how is that a silly metric, you don't think design was an important part of the new Supra?

I am not knocking what you think is important about a car you want to buy, my point is that your nostalgia argument is bunk.

Some people just like different things.

How are you getting the " fun " out of this car are you tracking it?

8. fchowd0311

I never denied that. I'm staring prefrences can be skewed by nostalgia and the mk4 Supra has plenty of nostalgia behind it.

And I never said the mk4 was a slug. I'm saying the new one absolutely craps on it when it comes to track and spirited driving minus the manual part as it should since many years have past and material science and the manufacturing proccess has improved since the design of the mk4 Supra. The mk4 only has an advantage in having less emmisions and crash safety standards in terms of engineering constrains.

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

The bottom line is people want it to remind them of the old Supra or at least sound like the old one. A bmw engine is not what Toyota enthusiast were looking for, it they wanted that they would of purchased a m2/3.

Now if they would of named it anything other than Supra.... people would be in love with it. I will say if I had to buy a M car or the Supra, it would be the Supra.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Dude. What in the hell are you going on about? I wasn't referring to anything you said. I was just making conversation. I find it ludicrous that street legal cars are that fast. Someone said on the previous page that the Supra is in the 4 second range. I have personally never driven anything even that fast.

Anyways I'll see myself out of this thread. It's weirdly confrontational.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The good folks at Car and Driver just did what may be the first dyno test of the Supra, and according to that test it has a more horsepower than Toyota claims and a lotmore torque.

To recap, the Supra packs a twin-scroll turbo 3.0-liter inline-six BMW engine called the B58B30M1. It’s rated at 335 HP and 365 lb-ft of torque. But given that this sports cars weighs in at 3,397 pounds but can do zero to 60 mph in under four seconds, it certainly feels more powerful than that.

C&D’s dyno test, done at Livernois Motorsports and Engineering in Dearborn Heights, Michigan, appears to confirm this. Their Supra came in at 339 HP and 427 lb-ft of torque—at the wheels. It’s not uncommon for a car’s wheel horsepower to be less than what is claimed at the crank, but hot damn, is that torque figure a nice surprise.

https://jalopnik.com/dyno-test-reveals-the-2020-toyota-supra-has-a-lot-more-1834928175

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

12.3 second quarter mile. It's a fast car. No doubt about it. Probably the best combination of handling and performance at its price point in my opinion.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't understand all the purist criticism -- the car looks like a 21st century Supra and has gobs of performance -- I like it a lot.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

15. fchowd0311

I don't get it? To him, it doesn't live up to the "name" but then again Doug DeMuro is a "quirks and features" type reviewer who does 20-60 mph pulls and that is the extent of his "dynamics and handling review". He isn't exactly an expert in hooning a vehicle to the limit and expressing the handling capabilities of a car. That isn't his area of expertise and honestly he isn't the type of reviewer I really value when it comes to whether a car is dynamically sound. Doug DeMuro falls for the superficial perception bullshit also.

You want a review from someone who has an actual engineering background with extensive track driving experience, follow this guy's reviews:

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

You obviously didn't watch my video, moron.

17. fchowd0311

I did? In fact I watched the video a few days ago. He explicitly stated that the new Supra doesn't live up to the name and gave vague superficial reasons for them.

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

Doubtful. He explained everything your video is talking about.

19. fchowd0311

Can you elaborate? It's very difficult to understand your point when you don't provide some specifics.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I have not had an opportunity to test drive one.

However a very good friend of mine did. He is really involved in car R&D. He said the car was “fine but didn’t really stand out”. Said the Z4 was better and that the Supra will probably do okay long term but there is nothing unique about it.