1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts about Jimmy butler acquisition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, May 17, 2019.

1. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Our version of the Hamptons 5: CP3, Harden, Gordon, Butler, PJ is legit!

Harden/Gordon/Butler = Steph/Klay/Green

Since KD is likely gone, there is no more GSW Hamptons 5, and Cousins may step into his role as a starter, but Iggy is still there and CP3 can put up enough to counter him. With Looney ability to switch on the perimeter, PJ can definitely match in output.

So the only thing is DEF, and if GSW has to switch. With another ball handler, it is even more likely that we can find a mismatch.

Looney/Iggy/Klay can definitely hold the perimeter as we have seen, but they also need to contend with 4 creators in CP3/Harden/Gordon/Butler. This means Green and Steph on defense play against PJ + the open creator, which will open the lane/draw a foul on Steph/corner 3 from PJ...

CP3 + PJ means likely a foul on Steph, but Green has to sit near the corner to cover PJ on D, or get pulled into CP3 penetration.
    Harden + PJ means likely a foul on Steph, but Green has to sit near the corner to cover PJ on D, or get pulled into CP3 penetration.
    Gordon + PJ means likely a foul on Steph, but Green has to sit near the corner to cover PJ on D, or get pulled into CP3 penetration.
    Butler + PJ means likely a foul on Steph, but Green has to sit near the corner to cover PJ on D, or get pulled into CP3 penetration.

If only PJ were good at PnR, but maybe that's what he works on in the offseason. He could work on passes while being a roll-man. I know Green is talented at passing, so I don't believe PJ can just pick that ability up, but he did work on his 3.

But he could also be a passer from the corner, because CP3 will draw Green into the paint with him, the pass can whip out to CP3, and if Curry is not in position to rotate, then the ball can move along the perimeter to an open 3 from Gordon, Butler, or Harden.

Having a 4th capable ball-handler and someone else as tall as PJ, just Butler is 6'8", should help with rebounding and all of the other holes left behind with Capella gone.

2. mastan

mastan Member

This team still cannot get meaningful rebounds... height matters. Look at the Bucks!

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

unlikely. 6ers gave up good assets to get him and I think they intend on keeping him. even if he opts out they will offer full max. IF jimmy wants to leave he doesn't need a S&T. he can go to the clippers, lakers, Brooklyn, NY, and join up with Lebron, KD, or Kyrie. he doesn't need to force himself to the rockets to be on a very competitive team with other veteran stars next year.

it will come down to who he is closest with (James, KD, Lebron, Kyrie, Lillard, Kawhi, AD) and where he wants to live (the usual destinations are LA, NY, Miami, Chicago, Boston, Houston).

that all being said, lets assume he wants to leave phily, and his best friend is James, and he wants to live in Houston, and he cares about winning and playing for the best team possible. lets also assume he knows all this before free agency and to make it easy to get to the rockets he sets up an opt in and trade like CP3 did. in that case, ego/nene/young guy like Hartenstein/pick would do it. this would be amazing as butler is on average what ego gives us on his best nights while keeping tucker and capela. we can also use the full MLE, to add even more talent off the bench (this will be important in a minute).

now lets assume he's not sure, opts out, takes some meetings with LAL, LAC, BKN, NYK, HOU, POR, etc... somehow he decides Houston is his #1 and asks the Sixers for a S&T. they're into it since they don't want to lose him for nothing. his new contract will be significantly higher so now we have to add ego/nene/hartenstein/pick/ and tucker since the Sixers don't need capela. well Morey turned down ego/tucker/pick for butler last summer so I don't think he'll agree to it now. I think the only thing morey would consider is the opt in and trade for ego/nene/hart/pick. but lets say morey did go for the S&T. once we receive a player in a S&T we can no longer use the full MLE and we would be hard capped the rest of the season. that would really hurt our chances of replacing tucker (or signing Jordan to replace capela for those of you who were thinking of doing that).

tldr; opt in and trade is the only thing morey would consider. S&T would deplete our roster while preventing us from replacing the players we gave away.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, it would be basically Gordon or Capela (to a third team) and Nene.

I think the Sixers would like to have Gordon, makes sense especially since he's a big SG just like Butler, plays well on both sides, can shoot and create his own shot but has not the same usage as Butler and can play better off ball, which sounds a good fit with Embiid and especially Simmons. Also, i don't think they will be able to get a player as good as Gordon in free agency unless they sign Middleton or Kawhi or Durant, which doesn't seem likely.

If for some reason they have no interest in Eric we would've to trade Clint to a third team and sign a guy like DeAndre.

I aslo wonder how doable is a trade like this:

HOU gets: Butler (opt in)

PHI gets: Shumpert (sign & traded for as much as possible), Nene, other salary fillers and pick/s.

Assuming the Shumpert part is possible, it would still give picks to the Sixers and an expiring contract to trade along with pick/s, i don't see how they'd prefer that over Eric, but you never know.

luckyman76 likes this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know why people are assuming that the Rockets will get DeAndre on the cheap. If the Knicks get Durant and Kyrie, I see DeAndre perfectly content to stay in New York. Or, he could go to a number of teams that would be happy to pay him more than the minimum.

I realize that DeAndre is a hometown guy. But, he will have options that may trump what we can offer him.

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Niko, Lopez and Giannis all have a wing span greater than 7’0. And Middleton’s is 6’11.
    That’s crazy

mastan likes this.
  7. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I hate to break it to u brother but I totally disagree. Butler would be amazing....think about this. A guy that a 2 way player. N can dribble pass n shot is gonna be good anywhere period. N u see how chris couldnt get by anybody even curry or a big on a switch...yes butler will destroy those match up. I mean it's really as simple as that. U literally have no draw backs of butler on the court none. He is long can shot the 3, is a great defender can dribble pass n shot....I dont see why he wouldnt dit unless u onw of those Jimmy would be a cancer on a veteran team guy

BaselineFade and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Gotta get pass gsw before u get to the bucks....cause how do u know the gsw wont kill the bucks this year

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Beggars can’t be choosers and defensively a clear upgrade.

Offensively it’s not a perfect fit but again better than what they have.

10. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

So you think Butler will opt in to play for the Rockets for $10 million per year less than he would get on any other team which he could select as an unrestricted FA? $10 million less per year? To stare at Harden dribbling out the clock? Do you Cletuses have any functioning brain cells?

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

We think that's a possibility, yes, what about you? Would you explain to us why Chris Paul did the same thing you're saying Butler won't, when he was actually older and more injury prone, when he could've signed for the max with the Spurs and enjoy that amazing ball movement instead of watching Harden dribble out the clock? Share your superior brain cells with us please.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

PJ is one year older. We need to find another Tucker to work with him

saleem likes this.
  13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

We’re still trying to beat the Warriors but without KD, the Bucks (for now) are the team to beat. My hope is for a Kevin Love buy-out and hope that he’d want to run with us.

14. smp

smp Member

You mean walk with us. We don’t run anymore.

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

One thing is for sure...Butler isn't getting bullied by the likes of Draymond Green

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Cavs just re-signed Love. There is zero chance he will be bought out.

smp likes this.
  17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Some of the many things you are not considering. First your assessment of $10M less per year is incorrect. It's only this year. He would save a massive amount of money in taxes over the life of the contract...and the contract itself. Butler is leaving Philly and that doesn't mean he is coming here or it is even likely. Probably 25%. When he opts out in mid June it will make all of this irrelevant He is already leaving money on the table. However, Houston provides the opportunity to get everything. If he signs elsewhere he gets 4 years at 5% raises. If he opts in and is traded to Houston he gets 1+5 potentially. That means that he gets the supermax for 5 years with 8% raises after this year. It's also his last contract. If you were him and considered that deal who is beating it? It's 4 vs 6. Who at 34-35 besides the desperate Rockets are paying him the supermax?

You see Harden dribbling out the clock but fail to understand why. Jimmy sees it as a chance to run the team and share that load across Harden and CP3 that will prolong his and their careers. Butler is essentially a Harden clone that also likes to play off the ball. The Rockets struck out with the Wolves before and might do so again but he gave them assurances he would resign here. Why would they keep pursuing him if this was a waste of time?

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good points here.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Greens not good because he plays bully ball.

Plus Butler couldn’t get by Toronto.

I just don’t think he’s the magic pill many think he is. Improvement for sure though.

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

but Green does play bully ball and Capela got bullied which was/is a problem that I don't see Butler having the same issue