1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts about Iguodala as FA target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 3, 2012.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

They both pretty much brings similarity to the court. But Parsons has slight size over Iggy, doesn't rely on his athleticism to be successful, and incredibly intelligent. Iguodala is only going to decline as his athleticism is leaving him.

The thing about Chandler Parsons is that this is only his 2nd year and he's stepping up and playing at a high level. Parsons is only getting better as time goes on and usually with wing players, it takes them about 3-5 years to really reach their full potential and prime. Parsons is extremely valuable because of his intelligence, his terrific defense, and his improving offensive game. Parsons is not as athletic as Iguodala but he doesn't have to be as athletic to be successful and incredibly effective. Parsons is one of the best player from class of 2011, definitely one of the best if not the best complete all-around player from that class and he's drafted in the 2nd round.

The Rockets got themselves a gem from class of 2011...

1 person likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think it's crazy to say Parsons could be better than Iggy moving forward. Their PER numbers and box score stats are already extremely similar this season, with a slight edge to Parsons.

Iggy is still the better defensive player and perhaps a little better at creating his own shot, yet I would argue that Parsons is a better complementary player on offense since he doesn't need the ball in his hands as much to make things happen. And you can't have your offense run through Iggy, he's just not good enough.

In any case, as things stand right this minute, Iggy is still probably the better player--but not by much. If Parsons keeps trending upward and Iggy starts to decline (he's about to hit 30) that difference between them is going to close very quickly.

1 person likes this.
  3. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is kind of my point. You say this because you've seen what Parsons has done. You can't say this about players you don't see. pParsons is 24 this year. Jones, DMo are 21 and 22. The fact that you believe neither one, nor 23 year old Morris has Parsons potential is why I say getting a PF will make them utterly useless, wasted picks. If Morey thinks like this, then he'd never have drafted 5 power forwards in 3 years. He would have drafted by position instead of BPA. Giving up on 21 and 22 yr old players is the opposite of Morey moneyball type of management. Which is what you are suggesting.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have no idea why people keep comparing Iggy to Parsons. parsons is not hurting from this move. The comparison here should be Iggy vs a FA PF/C/PG, since that's who we're going to sign instead of Iggy.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Link or stop being melodramatic to make a very weak point.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The premise of your thread is that Iguodala may be a free agent target in the summer of 2013.

Right now, it is December 2012.

In the time between the afternoon of the 2011 NBA Draft and the start of the 2012-13 regular season, the Rockets have managed to turn over their ENTIRE roster, save and except for one player (Patterson).

What makes you think that a couple of young PFs can't/won't be traded before (or not long after) a star PF is acquired, either via trade or free agency?

No one said anything about getting a star PF TODAY without sending out any other PFs.

7. gah

gah Member

wow, you were so polite, I would have told him to lay off the crack pipe for suggesting that Chandler is a better athlete than Iggy, I mean, when I think of elite athleticism on the wing, I think of Iggy. Further, when I think of elite perimeter defending, I also think of Iggy. IMO, there's no argument that Iggy is a better athlete, better defender and better 2-way player than Parsons. I think there's an argument to be made that Iguodala is a top 4 perimeter defender in the league whereas Chandler Parsons wouldn't even crack the top 10 of that ranking. I'd like to think he will be there, because he can, but I'm still not sure he'll end-up as one. With all that said, I'd still take Parsons going forward, and have no interest in bringing Iggy to the Rockets.

I think we are at a point where we are starting to overrate Parsons on defense, he's not exerting the same amount of effort as last year because he's focusing more on offense, and I don't blame him.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Okay, riddle me this: Why would we waste our money on an expensive wing player when Harden plays 39 minutes per game and Parsons plays 38?

By my math that leaves 19 minutes for another wing player. Harden is not going to get his minutes reduced, at least not by more than a couple, so where do those extra minutes for Iggy come from... right. From Parsons.

It's a waste of cap space and Iggy is not a good fit on this team anyway. We need a starting PF, backup PG, and backup center. Preferably the starting PF should be an all star level, #2 scoring option if possible.

Iggy does not fulfill any of those needs and doesn't make the team much better than it is now.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As i said before, i have always been a fan of Iggy's, but at 29 years old and somewhat of an injury history, i would not consider him as a target.

10. gah

gah Member

Fixed that for myself.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

No, I basically say wait and see. A full season should be enough to analyze their potential. I am sure that they will get their playing time this season - if it seems like we have a hidden gem, we might have to reanalyze. And we might have to trade some players and then take a look at it again.

But right now, 4 positions seem to be set with at least quality starters and one with a big question mark. That's why the majority of us would prefer a 4 right now. Of course that could change after the season.