1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts about Iguodala as FA target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 3, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Just curious, what does Iggy bring that Parsons is not doing now?

Defense - Parsons is just as good if not better. Yes I know Iggy is a terrific defender.
    Rebounder - Parson slight edge
    Outside shooter - Parsons
    Ball Handler - slight edge to Iggy but Chandler is right there.
    Athltisism - Parsons
    Age - Parsons
    Contract - Parsons
    Intangibles - Parsons; still improving as a player, team leader while Iggy is what he is.

This is all based on what Chandler is giving us right now. If you think his current play is just an anomaly and that Chandler is not really as good as he is playing right now and will start playing down to a less productive level then Iggy is your man.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't think Parsons is a better defender than Iggy. I think Iggy is the best perimeter defender in the league right now.

3. Prince

Prince Member

OLD, OLD.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Looking back.....-

When the Rockets had the T-Mac expiring contract to offer in trying to revamp their roster there were a few rumoured trade scenarios that were close to happening a few times during that season.

First one that came was -

#1. Caron Butler & Brendan Haywood(DC) for McGrady(Hou) to (NYC) with Harrington going back to DC in a 3 team deal.

#2. Igoudala & Dalembert(Philly) for McGrady(Hou) in a major salary dump for Philly.

#3.(the one nobody saw coming) McGrady & Landry (Hou) for Kevin Martin, Hill, Jefferies, picks from Sac. & NY

Hinesight-

-So looking back at this now, the first thing I see is that the Rockets would NOT have had the expiring contract of Martin to offer OKC in the Harden deal, and instead OKC would have had to take on a considerable amount more in salary with Igoudala in trade. We also don't know if they would have felt he was a good fit with their team to begin with.

-Without the McGrady contract going to NY, they might not have the cap space to make the deals for Amare(free agency), and Melo (trade). Trading with Philly instead could have seriously shifted the balance in the East.

-Would the Rockets have been that much better the past 2 years with Iggy/Dalembert??.... My guess is defensively they would have been better, but they certainly wouldn't be a playoff team just simply swapping out Martin/Landry for Iggy/Dally. However, if Iggy is on the team last year instead of Martin, the Rockets probably just barely edge their way into the playoffs, losing their 14th pick, which turns into Jeremy Lamb... A key piece in the Harden deal.

-If Iggy isn't in Philly this Summer, would the Dwight Howard deal have turned out the way it did with Bynum going to Philly, and the Nuggets getting involved to facilitate the deal??.... who knows how that turns out.

-Also the Rockets would not have last year's 16th pick from the Knicks which now is manifested itself into Royce White... (insert your own opinion here).

-If the Rockets make the move with the Wizards.... ouch. Good one that didn't happen.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't think that Iggy could have done to Melo what Chandler did to Melo. I have stated many times that I think Chandler is an elite defender. Melo was absolutely smoking hot in that game torching Pat, Morris and Cook. Then Sampson put Parsons on Melo and the worm turned. Chandler is a beast on the defensive end.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Before Parsons, I could see getting Iggy, but we'd be crazy to even think about it now, IMO. No one, probably even Morey himself, could have predicted just how good Chandler would be after his rookie season and 16 games (15 for Parsons) into this one. He just keeps getting better. I'm ready to throw up my hands and say there's no way to know at the moment just what his ceiling is. The guy's shooting 43% from behind the arc! Add that to all the other things he does, and his contract, and I consider him untouchable, if anyone on the team can be considered untouchable. Just an incredible pick by Mr. Morey.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

So where would you have us spend that money then? If we spend it on a PF, it means we're giving up on 4 power forwards on this team, with one being the backup PF/C. If we spend it on a PG, who's the best player to fit with a Jeremy Lin time-share? Darren Collison? But then he's not the difference maker Iggy would be. Center? Possibily if we want to be a defensive oriented team. But Asik was a once in a decade situation. Normally teams with such a player would never let him go.

Hence, why I said Iguodala. Wing position is by far our weakest position, and Iggy is so versatile he can shore up our horrible defense in the area along with depth. I've said it in a post before. There's no reason why he and Parsons can't both play 30+mpg. Plus he'd give much needed rest to Harden, who's currently playing nearly 40mpg.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think most of us realize that not all of the PFs on the roster will pan out, and possibly none will end up being star-caliber players. To trade some of those PFs for something else (a player, draft picks, whatever) would still allow 1-2 young PFs to play behind a "star-caliber" PF acquired via trade or free agency.

If you claim that Parsons would not lose out on PT behind Iguodala, then it's equally viable that at least one of the young PFs could still play behind a star PF.

1 person likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for replying better that I could, Bima. Are you as surprised as I am at just how much better Parsons has been this season? Last year, he was obviously a steal as a second round pick, a surprise starter, and looked to be a very solid role player in the future. This season? He gives hints of maybe being something more. This is probably the wrong thread (in fact, I'm sure of it), but how do you view Chandler now? The improvement in his shooting from distance has shocked me. He has quickly become a crucial part of this team and one of its leaders. I keep wondering just how good he can be. Heck, if he stopped improving today the guy would still be an outstanding pick by Morey, but if he can stay healthy, what's his ceiling?

1 person likes this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

A draft pick's value is at its highest either as a draft pick, or as a young player who have shown good to great production. Once the Rockets used FIVE 1st round draft picks on PFs, the value of those 1st rounders instantly went down. Since then, the value of Patterson have came back up through starter level play. Morris? No one would give us a 14th pick for him. Anyone else? I doubt has the same value of a mid-1st rounder, where they're selected.

By acquiring a PF who plays 30-40mpg, the Rockets affectively reduces PT, and thus trade value, of all PFs currently on the team. They can trade Patterson right now because Patterson gets 30mpg. If Patterson is playing 15mpg behind, say, Millsap, he'd be worth much less. And everyone else not getting playing time would be almost worthless.

Morey with his business background understand the value of his "assets" better than anyone else. He would not torpedo the value of his own players by blocking their path to higher value. Iggy would not torpedo Parsons' value. But a Millsap/Jefferson/other random good PF would dramatically hurt the value of at least 2-3 of our PFs. Not to mention prevent them from showing if they can be a star in this league.

11. nono

nono Member

All this hullabaloo over Iguodala ? He isn't even a top 20 player. Look at Denver's record. You'd have to be seriously r****ded to give him a max contract.

12. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

I think you people on this forum have a tendency to value our players too highly. According to you guys the USA team should have put Parsons on instead of iggy. :rolleyes:

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Parsons would probably outplayed Iggy this summer. All Iggy can do is guard and dunk. He's never even averaged more than 19ppg in a season...EVER. Overrated.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Iggy isn't getting any better. Parsons is.

15. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

Chandler Parson is the new Larry Bird, according to clutchfans.

16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It`s easy really. You analyze the current roster and try to see, which player can be a quality starter or even a star. Then you look at all the positions and try to determine, where you have the lowest quality starter - that`s the spot you are trying to fix first, no matter how many players you have playing there. It´s always a lot easier to find role players that come of the bench, so all you are looking at right now is starters.

Right now Parsons play and his ceiling seems to be way higher than any of our PFs. That`s why people lock him in as a starter and look elsewhere to upgrade. SG is definetly set with Harden, C seems to be pretty set with Asik and everybody still hopes, that PG is set with Lin because of his contract. The only position we don`t know about is PF. Patterson has looked good, but lacks in rebounding, the young guys cant consistently get on the floor. If one of them shows enough flashes this year, we might have to reanalyze, but right now, that`s the obvious position to upgrade.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does he remind you of Scottie Pippen?

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Having Iggy right now sounds good now but after a few years when his game starts to decline, his contract is going to be dead weight.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He might not be the next great NBA superstar, but settling for him to just strickly be a role player might be selling him a little too short. He most likely falls somewhere in between which is between glue guy role player & Superstar. Still, that's definitely something to be excited about.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

MIL/IGY/JEFF - Too OLD for our developing team! We are trying to win a Championship in about two or three years or more!Y:p