1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts about Iguodala as FA target?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 3, 2012.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Too much money would be tied up in the wing positions between Harden, Iggy and Parsons (when he's re-signed in 2015 - IF the plan is to keep Chandler long term).

I love Iguodala as a player, but no, thanks.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets have basically 2 years before they no longer have big capspace. If they don't spend this year or next year, they'll have to start paying for their own players after that. So it's not so much how much he makes, but whether there are other players in the next 2 years you'd rather spend big FA money on.

This doesn't affect trades, since the Rockets can go over the cap for that.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

My preface for this signing would be one of our PF look awesome, or show signs that he'll be awesome next year. Hence making the move more of a short term gain and pay later thing.

Besides, where else do you want to tie money to? Center? He'd be a backup to Asik. Power Foward? We have gazillion youngsters there. PG? Making Lin a backup? I have no problem with that if said PG is CP3. But anyone else worth that much money?

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Why do we have to spend that money? Cap Space is extremely valuable in both trades and FA market. If there's no elite talent on the market, just save the cap room and never overpay role players who are going to hinder our big plan.

Your claim that "they'll have to start paying for their own players" is an unfounded statement. Morey values flexibility and his ultimate goal is to land another star. He is not going to re-sign a player if it hurts the odds of adding a top tier player. He would simply trade them away before their contract expires.(e.g Bonzi Wells, Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry)

5. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Yep, grasshoppers, no patience.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

29 next month and there are questions about his health ...but damn, Iggy's a great player.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Just like what I said in the other topic, let's continue with our group and find out how far we can go.

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Unless Parsons is moved out for whatever reason, I don't see why we should.

9. arjun

arjun Member

lol no thanks

10. Nook

Nook Member

We usuallly have quite a few homers on here (all fan boards do), but I do not think it is really that large a leap to think that Parsons can be better than Iggy in a season or two. Both are very good defenders, Iggy is the stronger and more explosive player, but Parsons is the smarter player.... really it is all going to boil down to whether Chandler keeps shooting well.

Iggy is a solid player, but with Parsons, Harden and Lin I do not see a need for him.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well we don`t "have" to spend that money. What meh was talking about is the following:

We have several promising young players - if they develop the way we think they will be expensive. If we don`t spend that money and just resign our own guys, we don`t have cap space left to sign another quality FA. Or we lose out on our own young talent.

If we get a promising max or near max player now, we can resign our young talent because of bird rights and are allowed to go over the cap.

So basically if we spend our money before our young guys need new contracts, we can keep them AND get that big name FA (assuming we are willing to pay the tax). If we wait, we need to decide whether to keep our promising players or that big name FA (that may then choose to go to another team).

That`s why it would help us a great deal, if we could get that big name FA early. And remember: it is very, very seldom that a star leaves in FA - especially after the LeBron fiasco. If a guy like Love leaves, it will be via a trade.

I am pretty sure we will try real hard to spend our money on a max or near max guy this off season - and my guess still is Josh Smith.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't want to get tied down paying him long term and lose flexibility.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yup... if we are going to be tied down, it needs to be for a top 10 player, not top 50....

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm a big fan of Iggy and would have loved a trade for him a couple of years ago or even last season, but not now. Chandler is just too damn good to even consider allowing Iggy to start in front of him IMO. Both players are great defenders but Chandler is younger and more athletic. Iggy's outside shot has improved a lot but I would still take Chandler outside shot.

Unless you think that Chandler is currently playing above his head and he will soon come back down to earth, I would not trade him straight up for Iggy. Personally, I think at this moment, Chandler is playing as good as Iggy has ever played and I think Chandler is still improving.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If Parsons is moved with a high salary guy like Lin or Asik to bring in another core piece, then Igguodala makes sense as a FA target, otherwise no. Parsons brings 80% of what Iggy does at 1/10th the cost.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Harden
    Iggy
    Parsons
    Patterson
    Asik

Iggy can guard point guards.

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Don't let the money (cap space) burn a hole in your pocket. You don't make moves just for the sake of making a move or spending money. At this point I would only add a player that is a clear all-star player and a clear upgrade at his position.

18. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

Hi Mr.Morey

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Forgetting all practical implications, a Harden - Iguodala backcourt would be amazingly fun to watch. It would be one of those highly progressive, "evolution of the league" type of lineups where you just run with a combo guard and a point forward / swingman initiating the offense. Just beasting on the league's normal-sized point guards with size and athleticism.

*drool*

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member