1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

those that do not learn from history...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Oct 31, 2010.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

It is often said that life is truly cyclical - that we often face the same situation a multitude of times - with each time being an opportunity to confirm our prior choice or denounce that decision and make a different choice, armed with the weapon of experience and hindsight. The foolish never even recognize the similarities, while the wise embrace the opportunity. Houston Rockets, you are at such a crossroad and I implore you to choose wisely. For a season, the team twisted in the tumultuous winds of mediocrity and chemistry chaos as McGrady sprinkled and tinkled in and out of the lineup. The team without him was a machine, playing with a vigor and conviction that made them hard not to love. With him, they were a different offense - one with a stud wingman that could help to lead them further than they could without him - if only he could stay consistently on the court. Unfortunately that time never came.

There's a time now, with Yao, that reminds me of those days. Married (at least as long as marriages go) to a 24 minute ceiling and a DNP-B2B collar, Yao will by definition be in and out of the lineup. (That isn't the only collar, by the way. Knowing that he only will play 24 minutes, Yao will likely cast all foul cares to the wind and play aggressively and without pace for those minutes. Why worry about fouls when you have a finite amount of minutes anyway? Expect a few more 6 foul DQs align the way in shortened minutes.)

My point? Yao will not be - as presently constrained - in the lineup frequently enough or on the court long enough for this entire squad to develop chemistry and continuity. Without him they are run and gun, and will try to still be such early in the shot clock even with Yao. But when the majority of the game is played,which is to say in the halfcourt, the guys are going to be forced to be dichotomous in their games - one way with Yao (different roles for everyone on the court and off, including what kind of shots you will get, how many, and at what point in the clock) and one way without the big guy. It isn't fair and it will not work.

The only rational answer is to remove all limitations on his minutes. Not even breaching the subject of his upcoming contract, it is the only fair thing for everyone on the roster. if he is healthy, he should not have constraints. If he isnt then he shouldn't be out there at all. Didn't we learn this with McGonna-play-certain-nights before? I don't care if his foot breaks again. Everyone on the roster benefits from the effort of putting Yao out there full time so we know if he is here for the long-term or will be put out to pasture next year.

Sincerely,
    J. Hill

kidding...but seriously, let's learn from our mistakes. The season is young and we don't have to waste time and development.

#1 verse, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
    3 people like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Sincerely,
    J. Hill"

haha...good stuff, verse.

but no, I'm not at that point to release the man from his shackles. Yao is the Rockets. imo, it is his team. Patience....patience. In Texas, we need a reason to fight, when we aren't making fun of Texas A&M. In Yao, his fight is coming.

did that make sense?

i do think this team is getting pissed. that's a good thing. i can see them wondering who they are on the court re: Yao and all the points you made, but Scola is certainly pissed with losing. I'm sure Yao is too. Can this be a good learning experience? Obviously, no learning experience is better than winning your first 15 games of the season, but would that have happened without Hakeem getting pissed in 7 vs Seattle?

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

Ah the 49/24 game. Unreal game for sure.

That team had seasons of playing time together in order to meld their identity. With Yao's shackles this team does not have the same opportunity to do so. Until that time what are we really accomplishing? Hill, Patterson, and Bud learning how to settle into their eventual roles? Brooks/Martin/Bud learning to play inside/out? Not really. They are trying to learn a style they will all but abandon once/IF Yao come back to normal playing time. I don't mind being patient, but I feel they are wasting time and opportunity right now. I don't see what of this sans-Yao-sometimes trial will translate into relevant skills with Yao as the centerpiece.

4. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

For us to learn from our mistakes or the past would mean to limit his minutes...

3 people like this.
  5. heypartner

uh. that's a very good argument.

what can we do. he is shackled.

for now.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Our team does not have a go to guy, and because of that we don't have a primary option. With no primary option, we get players fighting for shots. Our players need to know their role and they need to know it now, Martin and Brooks were fighting for shots, and the ball was not going to the hot hands enough (Scola).

What happens during scoring droughts when we have no go to scorer? Everyone shoots, and nobody scores.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So what do you suggest we do with Yao?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

History doesn't repeat.

But it does rhyme sometimes.

9. heypartner

like how History and Victory rhyme?

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Or Hill and Phil (Jackson).

I bet Phil Jackson would start Jordan Hill.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

FIXED*

My point is that they are doing the right thing for Yao limiting his minutes. It's common sense that we will play better the more he is out there because he is such a great player but working him too hard at the beginning of the season may mean that he is not here for the end. I think maybe bring him in for more minutes at the end of the came and make Luis Scola the focal point of the offense for the regular season. The guys are just going to have to learn how to play this way for awhile.

12. heypartner

over Gasol? and Scola. btw: they are a consonant away from being anagrams.

so there!

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

wall of text pwned with 1 sentence response.

lmao.

14. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

fortunately you are not Rockets management, otherwise no players like to play hard for you. Remember, you could't get all efforts out of a player if you don't care about their health/playing limit/minutes to overplay them, period.

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

People... the limit is there to allow the Rockets to play Yao (where he will hopefully help them), while protect him from sustaining another injury like that.

To completely waive it at this point would not only defy doctors' advice, but put him at risk to hurt his foot again... which could ultimately effect his life outside of basketball.

It would be reckless and heartless to do it this early in the season.

16. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

I agree, hence my sig. This is going to be a train wreck season.

17. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

As I've said several times myself, UTAllTheWay...

...I understand the management's decision on how they've decide to handle Yao's recovery.

Part of me even applauds it. If anybody deserves preferential treatment, I imagine it would be Yao Ming. He's a good person, by all accounts. he has had nothing but a desire to be what the Rockets drafted him to be....our franchise.

Injury is the risk that all pro athletes run, UTAllTheWay. Despite the frequency of it in regards to some players, everybody that steps onto the court runs the risk of ending their season or career by getting injured.

Yao's injuries have been a bit freakish....certainly persistent and ill-timed (as if there's ever a GOOD time to be out for the season)....

...but that's the nature of the beast. Injuries happen. Nobody wants them to. Nobody likes it to.

But sooner or later, you have to make a decision: either you're going to risk everything you can to win, or play it safe and hope somebody cuts you a break (ouch...bad pun) and lets you win.

ALL players run the risk of getting hurt. You're starting to hear a bit of the strain and distaste from some of the Rockets in regards to Yao's situational minutes.

Has nothing to do with not liking Yao, or accepting how hard Yao works.

Has everything to do with not being able to count on him...and management "protecting" him from getting hurt.

The team has to be "all in", UTAllTheWay. That includes Yao.

ESPECIALLY Yao....if he's healthy, he gives the Rockets a chance.

Otherwise, Yao's just giving the Rockets excuses......

...and nobody wants more of those....

18. bloop

bloop Member

Simply... Rick and Morey have to find a way to incorporate Yao.

Without Yao this is an exciting, high octane offense, no defense 52 win 1st round playoff exit team. They will NOT be able to compete with LA or win in the playoffs without defense.

Look bad now... Yao looks handcuffed, Battier looks old. But management needs to find a way to get both those guys incorporated or this team isn't going anywhere even with all the young weapons.

Good news is that the season is 82 games long. The team might have a rough start which is understandable. But if they can get Yao around 30 minutes by the Spring and actually get him as the focal point on defense and a top option on offense they should be in good shape.

Right now all the subs are killing this team. They're like chickens with their heads cut off in the 4th quarter of every game.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets need to find a way to get back to the formula of 2 years ago, but Yao has to play to get there.

It is a tight rope to walk.

DD

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I think the main problem we are dealing with right now, has to do with building consistency and the fact that so many are expecting Lee and Battier to hold down the defense now that they have centers above 6'6'', when the fact is that we saw it happen all of last year Battier is officially no longer the best defender in the league.

Which means everyone has to step up their defense.