1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Those of you wanting to get rid of Daryl Morey are DEAD WRONG!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 2, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Winning in the playoffs is about match-ups, luck, and of course solid play.

But think about the hand Morey was dealt. He inherited two injured stars for the first few years whose careers were ended by injury. Morey couldn't get anything in return for his best players. It's as if they just vanished from the team.

Then he had 3 years to field a squad who just lost their 2 stars. Then Morey gets the go-ahead to tear it all down and start from scratch, and he built a mid-50 win team in a year. The next year they reach the conference finals.

Yes, this year didn't work out, but before the season the consensus with virtually everyone not only here, but in the media and across the league was that the Rockets had one of the strongest rosters in the league.

GM's don't grow on trees. You shouldn't want to get rid of a proven GM like Morey because of one disappointing season relative to expectations.

1 person likes this.
  2. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

The other 3 teams on that list have this weird little thing called a CHAMPIONSHIP in that same time frame... The other teams have this other strange thing too called a BASKETBALL CULTURE focused on winning ships and selfless play. The GM's on those teams value character and chemistry. All of this should be ignored by Morley's stat freak apologists who solely use metrics that they like and work for their argument while pretending other metrics are incorrect or don't apply.

Well done though stat jockeys, you can ride off in to the sunset with your pilot who never has flown a plane.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I've wanted Morey to go, but I am moving myself to the "unsure" column after reading this.

4. bmd

bmd Member

The Rockets have only had their star player for then past 4 seasons.

The fact that the Rockets have the 4th best winning percentage even while a good chunk of that time frame they were lacking star players should strengthen the argument that Morey is a good GM.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great thread - am proud to have bumped it up a star in the star rating.

Again, I am still firmly a supporter of Daryl Morey, a fellow YPO member.

1 person likes this.
  6. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

ohhhhh, I get it... You think star ****ing is a good thing. No wonder you like Murphly.

I just like dudes who play good team basketball, and would take the star-less, try-hard Celtics roster over our star-full, barely-tries roster any day.

By the way, how is not having a star an argument in favor of a GM? He's the only one who can bring one in, and not having one is solely the fault of the GM, but he should be given credit for that???? :confused:

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

No one doubts he's good. But the question is, is he the guy who can bring us a championship or are we just settling for good regular season performances. Morey is good but will his plan win us a championship?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, only what Le$ thinks matters.

DD

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I've cut him a great deal of slack but at the same time I'm cognizant of how a team can drift off into irrelevance by ignoring these numbers. The team that most comes to my mind are the Washington Wizards under Wes Unseld's tenure as GM. That organization is still trying to recover. Other examples include the NY Knicks under Isaiah Thomas, Minnesota T-Wolves under Kevin McHale and no. 1 on my list, Elgin Baylor with the LA Clippers. Now Morey is light years ahead of those guys in terms managerial smarts but he, too, is watching the years pass by.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So he finally gets to build the team he wants and it's a team over dependent on one star to create for a bunch of hacks. BTW we did the same thing last year but those hacks contributed a little more. Well and still is this the type of system we want? Is this the type of ball we want to see the Rockets play? Do you guys want to sit and watch threes and free throw for another 10 years? We've had a chance to fully see Moreyball in action the last 3 or 4 years is that what we want?

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

One thing that I don't know how well you can predict by analyzing stats is chemistry.

Coaching and chemistry.

Two big, big things to fix next year.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Im going to see what happens in the offseason before I make a decision.

Op makes good points though

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think they will get rid of Morey even if the fans wanted.

At least not this offseason maybe in consideration after another disastrous or highly mediocre season?

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he should be on the hotseat and given till next dec-feb. all he needs to do is build a good team around harden. doesnt need to be contenders since thats nearly impossible w/o durant or lebron. should be easy as pie..should be.

15. albuster

albuster Member

It would really be great if someone could put all these stats in a graph with the time frame as one of the axes to the graph so that we could have a visual perspective as to how one views the Rockets' success or mediocrity depending upon each one's point of view.

I look at the results of the Morey years as a total failure just by looking at the information as provided by the OP. I say this because there is a saying which is often heard from successful basketball players, coaches and other basketball personnel which, to paraphrase, championships are not awarded after the regular season. They are awarded in June.

My point is that if one is inclined to have the point of view that Morey is successful because of all the "winning" seasons he has had over the past nine years and that having Morey as a GM will eventually lead to a championship then fine. It would be nice to know from these folks when that championship could eventually come given that Morey seems to be doing a major retooling for the next season after virtually making major changes to the roster season after season since he started as a Rockets GM.

So, if you think it is right to retain Morey as a GM so the Rockets could have a .500 or above season for years to come then you are obviously right. However, it is wrong to say that the folks who argue otherwise are "dead wrong". There is an empirical argument for the folks who know that the ultimate test of a GM is building a team that would be perennial contenders and, if the GM is, indeed, a genius, a championship team. So far, almost a decade since Morey took over as GM the Rockets have not achieved any of the levels which I just mentioned. Worse yet, the Rockets are on the verge of redoing their roster over again which is reminiscent of almost the past decade.

Ultimately, as DD stated in his post, it will be up to Les but the verdict of history is starting to get harsher on the Rockets and Morey as the years pass. Maybe the pro Morey posters could provide us a glimpse of a realistic, analytical, and scientific time frame as to when the Rockets will be real contenders given Morey's history as GM. I surely appreciate the heads up.

16. bmd

bmd Member

The star players on the Rockets had their careers derailed by injury.

So there was a period where the Rockets didn't have a star player, and yet they never had a losing season even without a star.

But Morey got one in Harden, and they've had even more success with him.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last thing this team should do is panic and fire their GM.

18. bmd

bmd Member

You have to be patient. If he's good enough to never have a losing season under his belt, he's good enough to bring a championship.

It's hard to build a roster that can truly win it all. You have to have a certain element of luck that the players will just "click" and work well with each other. There isn't really any way to know that before putting a team together. It's a very fragile thing.

Morey will keep building strong teams and eventually one of those teams will "click" and you'll have a truly championship-worthy team. It will happen eventually just from the odds of building strong team after strong team. One of them will click.

19. bmd

bmd Member

He didn't build a team with the players he wanted. He built a team with the players that were available that could be attained.

It takes a bit of luck to get a guy that you want AND can be had.

20. dmoneybangbang

That's a pretty severe notion of "total failure" given how many different NBA teams have won since 2000. We have won a lot of regular season games under Morey obviously, but how many playoff games have we won under Morey compared to the rest?

I think if we look at all the successful teams of the last 16 years (SAS, Mavs, Heat, and Lakers) with a focus on the first 3 you'll find they always put themselves in situations to compete in the playoffs. Mavs have 7 first round and 4 second round exits in 16 years, having missed the playoffs once and winning only one championship for context.

Morey and his staff (which include basketball scouts who use "seasoned eyeballs") do an above average job at what they do especially given the circumstances surrounding Les.