1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thornton not coming in until the late second half tonight is inexcusable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Dec 15, 2015.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'd rather this be the reason, but like I said in an earlier post -- I think the cat is pretty much out of the bag to other GMs as far as what he can do. I'm not sure hiding him for a few games is enough to scare away people who I'm sure have been keeping tabs on him all season. It wouldn't be enough for me, anyway.

2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

LOLOLOLOLLLLLLLL

Thornton scored 32 pts off the bench a couple of days ago, which is the most in NBA...

3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking. Either he's causing problems in locker room or he's just as good as gone.

4. malakas

malakas Member

He has to personally approve any trade involving him. Hiding or showcasing him doesn't make much sense unless he is sent to a real contender.
    Or as I said in the game thread my tin foil theory is that this is strongarming him by denying him playing time to approve a bigger trade that involves him and needs him in to be completed.

5. Rocketeer4Life

Thornton will be traded I guarantee it. Just like they did to Isiah Canaan when he started scoring off the bench last season.

With that being said, don't know why my favorite Rockets players always get traded :confused:

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Anybody thats good offends Harden. Dwight and Thornton are their way out.

7. MistaK

MistaK Member

Ahhhh Harden's fault again....I was expecting to see a post like this on page 1 of this thread!!! This board sometimes :grin::grin::grin:

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I really don't get why he's not playing. Houston has issues putting the ball in the basket and he's one of the better players on the team at doing that. IDK can't explain how he's not playing but then again I can't explain anything that's going on with this team this year.

It's is possible he's causing a lot of locker room issues?

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

There's always one player who does well who does not get playing time, so frustrating!!!!

10. dje243

dje243 Member

Thornton not getting regular minutes is a huge mystery. Have any media-types asked about this? Is he sick or something?!

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is it really a mystery?

On nights when the Rockets have Motiejunas, Howard, Capela, and Jones (who is playing well, probably played better than anyone last night) available in the front court, and Harden, Beverley, Ariza, and Brewer and Lawson in the Backcourt/wing, it's tough for Thornton to get minutes. 10 men rotations are not that frequent in the NBA.

Thornton is either a small ball 4 or a 3 in lineups with good defenders. Those minutes are dominated by Ariza already, and with 3 true 4's in the rotation, that window for him to play is pretty small.

You can argue that he should replace Brewer in the rotation maybe. Though Brewer's energy/disruptive style tends to attract PT from coaches lookign for a spark off the bench.

One of the thigns about Golden State last year that differentiated them from the Rockets was that htey had a lot of "Swiss army knife" type players (Green, Iguodala, Barnes etc) who were all essentially interchangeable, whereas the Rockets have a lot of players with odd/weird skill sets. Brewer is unlike most other guys on the team; Josh Smith was completely unique; Harden is hard to replace when he sits, Motiejunas is unique with his hookshot/3 point shooting combo. This creates problems for opponents but also sometimes for the Rockets who have to play differently after each substitution.

I still don't think the Rockets have figured out what their optimal lineups are yet, but I owuldn't be surprised if some of them should feature THornton.

#91 SamFisher, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  12. onreego

onreego Member

I like that no one has paid attention to this. Too logical? Seems like a key fact to think about. How does a guy who can get buckets and create for himself become a journey man in 2 years?

Say what you will but I can't believe that our coaches just forget that he's there or are too dumb to use his skills. Perhaps he is a more talented Terrence "The Squid" Williams but same or worse attitude problems?

Also, those who are saying his defense has been good...just...no.

13. dje243

dje243 Member

When Jet gets minutes over Thornton it definitely is a mystery. What is Jet giving you that Thornton doesn't? Especially with his performance thus far this season it seems he would earn more burn. It's not like Lawson and Terry have been world beaters this season, but there have been extended stretches where Thornton has kept us in games with his clutch shooting. I don't agree that Thornton is only a small ball 4 or a 3. I think he's shown the ability to create and distribute from either guard position. Plus we know the rockets don't stick to classic PG/SG/SF roles when game planning and subbing guys in and out.

14. J Hard

J Hard Member

They were playing the lakers. Do you object to him giving Dmo the burn hes been getting? Of course you dont.

I know what, you should apply to become the coach since you know the inner workings of how to run a team better.

JB is NOT as clueless as mcfail, youre looking for a reason to be negative towards the man. In which it makes you an idiot.

15. J Hard

J Hard Member

Terry playing is more about lawson and not Thornton, you guys gota get that clue.