1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thon Maker (7'1 -- ESPN's #1 Player in the Class of 2016)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by HMMMHMM, Feb 8, 2014.

1. FEAR THE BEARD

Definitely a KG/KD hybrid

1 person likes this.
  2. AFS

AFS Member

He's 16. Let him finish growing vertically before you start worrying about him growing horizontally.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Him and Harden are gonna make a great duo in 2017

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

His upside is through the roof, people talk about Embiid but this kid here has a sick skill package. He has the complett skillset of a guard, fadeaway jumpers, crossovers(his crossover looks like that of a really good point guard, incredible for 7'1), passing, is a great athlete. If he bulks up a bit he can bei either a taller Durant or a monster center. Imagine a 7'1 or 7'2 center with 3pt range, jumpshot&handles like a guard...if he develops a post-game he'll be one of the biggest offensive nightmares in years, really incredible.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Paint me as interested.

However like pretty much every high school prospect that gets hyped up.... let me see how they do in college first. Youtube clips are always deceiving. I need to see them in actual game-play before I make assumptions about anything.

I want to see how heavily he gets recruited in a couple years first. Lets keep in mind that he's only a sophomore this year in HIGH SCHOOL. He's got a long time before he even plays a college game much less an NBA game.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He ain't gonna bulk up - he's an East-sider.

Think Manute Bol more than Hakeem or Dikembe.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

His name is funny.

8. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Skinny frame. He needs to put on a lot of muscle in order to survive in the NBA. The question is whether he can retain the quickness with the added weights. We have seen too many big guys who dominated high school competition but turned out to be a NBA draft bust.

9. SamFisher

Nope - the question isn't that it's whether he can add it at all and whether he's as young as he claims.

10. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Is there any reason for you to doubt his age? Is it because his name sounds African or what?

11. FearTheBeardJH

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1NwgNLW9ASQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine that's the only video you've seen about Shaq. You'd think he is 7'1 300 lbs player with killer crossover and a jumpshot. Just saying that because I doubt Thon Maker can make those stepback jumpers and even threes at an average rate, he is probably below 30% 3pt shooter.

12. SamFisher

He's a refugee from a tiny village in the perrenially war-torn region of South Sudan who emigrated to Australia as a child - I doubt their record of births is as sound as say, the State of Hawaii's.

Here's an example btw of confusion already existing - says he left South Sudan at age 7:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/02/7-foot-1-hoops-phenom-is-a-big-deal

Says he left South Sudan at age 5

http://zagsblog.com/articles/is-16-year-old-thon-maker-basketballs-next-big-thing/

Which is it?

#32 SamFisher, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pretty impressive by Shaq. That move at the end look like Hakeem.

14. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Considering his size, I'd say Shaq is the best athlete in the history of mankind.

15. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Well, he should know his own age. So if he says he is 17, I guess there is no reason to doubt it unless we have solid proof.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You're comparing several videos of real games where Thon conistently makes advancedd crossovers in traffic and with high speed, shows off a whole repertoire of offensive moves...to a one minute 1on1 clip during a warm-up, where Shaq has two unguarded set shots and a basic, slow crossover with no pressure on him?

17. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i know hes not coming for a while but Thon has recently shown interest in playing for Australia on the international level in recent interviews in europe. which is just awesome

PG: Patty Mills
    SG: Dante Exum
    SF: Ben Simmons (class of 2016, currenlty consenus top 5 in mock drafts http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ben-simmons)
    PF: Thon Maker (consenus #1 pick in 2017 draft ATM,http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Thon-Maker-70462/ )
    C: Bogut

were going to be going Twin Towers in the soft Team USA ;) 2020,2024,2028 gold medals to aus, its over

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wow bogut will be starting for them in 2028. Geez

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I meant Boguts son ;)

20. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Reminds me of kd imagine a 7'1 sf. Crazy