1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thomas Robinson traded to Portland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2013.

?

Do you like this move for the Rockets?

1. YES

508 vote(s)
    86.8%
  2. NO

77 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

I don't think Trob has really struggled, he's just been stuck in bad situations.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know we had to move him in order to get Howard, but trust me, we are going to wish they had given up somebody else. Thomas Robinson is going to beast.
    If they had a choice, they should have given up D-Mo +.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He didn't struggle here. He never got a chance or had the time to. For a rook playing on his second team, learning a new system, in his 1st season, he did pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  4. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I actually like what I see. I don't know where his jumper went and he really needs to get better at finishing but overall, I think he will be solid in the league.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He struggled here. It lead to him having low playing time. He didn't do pretty good.

That said, he did have the excuse of not having training camp and playing in a playoff hunt. His biggest failing was shooting efficiency, especially near the rim that negated his positive qualities...rebounding, more rebounding, and defense. His shooting could be fixable and at worst could be limited if he just shot less.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

why we can't go over cap but these other teams without playoffs locked spots do? we can maybe win a championship if we went over

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He was caught up in the numbers game the second the trade to Houston went through. There were just other players ahead of him(Smith, D-Mo, Jones, Delfino)and the Rockets were playing well. He just never really got acclimated and the Rockets aren't really known for their patience with rookies.
    For the short time that he did play, he showed flashes of what he could be if he had more time with the team.
    Sorry for going on so much about it. This one hurt me a little bit. Only time will tell.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The NBA has a soft cap. The Rockets as a general rule are going to end up over the cap by the end of the season. Once at the cap, there are various exceptions that a team can use to go over the cap. The Rockets have been very smart about only using exceptions to the cap that will allow them to maintain flexibility. This flexibility allowed the Rockets to sign Lin, Asik, and Howard.

Now that the Rockets have Howard and Harden, the Rockets will be over the cap except possibly a brief few weeks in the 2015 offseason if the Rockets can't get a third star before then.

Luxury tax is a different animal. The Rockets probably won't go too deep into the luxury tax area. For one, if you go into the luxury tax area by more than 4 million, you lose a lot of the other exceptions and hurts a team's flexibility to sign and trade fro players. Also, the tax rate is more punitive than before....even the Knicks blinked about matching the Rockets offer for Lin. Basically, only Brooklyn seems to be willing to pay whatever in luxury taxes.

1 person likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sorry for hurting your feeling. Was not my intention. I am not Carl who puts Robinson in the bad category with no hope of being good. I'm not saying anything about his future promise. I am saying that in the 247 minutes he played for the Rockets last season, all the good he did defensively and on the boards was completely overshadowed by his shooting too much and too inefficiently. There are a lot of reasons behind his poor play, but that doesn't change what it was.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

Thanks man ! and don't they still have a like a mid level cap exception they can sign ? like $2-3 mill per season, sure I didn't use the correct terminology but sure you have a idea or aware of what I referring to

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They, to my knowledge, have the room exception still available at 2.652 mil and and an unlimited amount of minimum exceptions for any players willing to sign a minimum level contract (which is based on years in nba). Just looking at who's available right now, I have no issue with Rockets saving the room exception just in case someone like Beverley becomes available in the middle of the season.

The room exception is limited to two year contracts so they won't use it to bring over someone like Papaninkolaou. Morey is not going to let some team do what he did to the Knicks and the Bulls.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He was raw, the rawest of raw - did not fit here, needs to work on his game to make it in the NBA.

No big deal.

DD

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Salary Cap Update coming soon...

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Woohoo!

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for the edification...x...

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks for the impending edification...x...

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

edification... thanks for it....x...

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. damunkster

damunkster Member