1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thomas Robinson is the real star of this draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by coachbadlee, Apr 2, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I really wish it were tomorrow.

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Robinson has similar height and reach as Patterson according to draftexpress. Last year's patterson showed tremendous explosiveness as well.

Robinson is quicker and Patterson is stronger.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Thomas Robinson 21 years old, Davis 19. When Robinson was 19, he averaged 2.5 points and 2.7 rebounds.

I've never watched a minute of Robinson playing, but I'll still say this: No player who failed to beat out the Morris twins for playing time as a sophmore in college could ever end up as a great nba player.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Maybe you should stick to analyzing players that you've watched. The Morris twins - particularly Marcus - were great college basketball players. It may or may not translate to the NBA, but that doesn't change how good they were at the NCAA level.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They have two different styles of play. Robinson is more of a banger than the Morris's are. He is much more physical and stronger in the post.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wasn't this Robinson's 1st season as a starter? Also, coaches usually stick with what works and the Morris's were working at the moment.

7. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

That's a pretty good analysis. Not watching him ever play, but saying he will be a bust in the NBA because he only played close to 15 mpg (almost an entire half) playing behind 2 really good college players...

8. arjun

arjun Member

:confused::confused:

thats like saying at the age lebron was in the NBA hoopin....jordan was playing against ncaa competition....

9. arjun

arjun Member

and thus lebron will be better than jordan...

10. WinkFan

I guess time will tell.

11. WinkFan

Not really. The question was whether Davis could lead his team like Robinson did without a lot of talent around him. To make that a fair comparison, Davis would have to play a couple more years in college.

12. WinkFan

I said great nba player. Since I'm already out on a limb, I'll define great as making at least 3 nba allstar games. If you don't like that, give me your definition of great.

13. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Great, good, bad, elite, whatever. Your projection for Robinson was based on never watching him play and the fact that he was playing less than 2 extremely productive college players, which is ridiculous.

14. WinkFan

Also, he's a junior. That makes it less likely he'll be great, because he would have been good enough to leave earlier.

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Again, it comes down to playing time. Robinson could have left a year ago, certainly, but opted to use the year after the Morris twins left as an opportunity to develop his game and showcase himself with major minutes.

James McAdoo has the same dilemma at UNC. He's a lottery pick whenever he declares - even this year - but he didn't get a ton of playing time behind Henson and Barnes. That's why he's strongly considering going back to school, even though he could leave now and be a lottery pick.

Each situation is unique. The best NBA player isn't always the best college player, especially when there's an experience gap.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

^^^This

I think Odom is the best player on that team but part of what you do to get players to come back is guarantee them they will be the focus of the team. Surely Williams promised Henson that and just as surely the same promises were given the Morris twins leaving Robinson to rot on the bench. If Odom comes out I see as one of 4 players with a chance to be all stars in the NBA. Robinson Davis and MKG are the others.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That's probably the dumbest method of scouting I've ever seen. At least other people pretend that they watch college basketball before they drink the haterade, but you don't even bother. If you haven't seen Robinson play a minute, you probably haven't seen much of the Morris twins either, so WTF would you know?

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm pretty sure he wouldnt be considered a lock for the top 5 in a deep draft if he had no chance of being a great nba player that's stupid. He was on the draft rader last year as a first round talent as a sophomore the guy can ball and has legit nba pf size he a lot bigger than milsap.

19. WinkFan

I've seen the Morris twins play in the NBA.

20. WinkFan

Lots of non great nba players have been drafted in the top 5