1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thomas Robinson DraftExpress Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think he's most similar to JJ Hickson: 6'9", lanky, great rebounder, but lacking a refined offensive game. He might not be such a great fit next to Asik, but if we go really small I don't think we have to worry about playing him at center considering how good he is on the boards.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

excellent point and maybe more where the rockets see him ending up - as a backup center that can log heavy minutes in a small ball rotation.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

IMO, that's his potential. He's not as insanely athletic as a young Kemp, but who is? I think he can still put up similar numbers with a similar game.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

noooo!!! TRob is going to get jinxed by DD :(

:p

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Putting this up, since I keep seeing so many people posting obviously very poorly informed stuff:

The Good:

Relentless bulldog in the paint - knack for getting the ball into the basket, traffic/contact does not bother him

Glass cleaner - does an excellent job slipping through traffic avoiding box outs. Great nose for tip-dunks.

Excellent explosion to the rim - putting the ball in his hands seems to turn the hoop into a supermagnet. Has a powerful stride when he picks up the ball.

Good finisher, able to use both hands and can adjust shot in mid air decently.

Superb athlete with well built frame for the NBA. Shouldn't have durability concerns.

Effort and energy defender with a willingness to rotate.

The Bad:

Not much vertical - he gets off the ground well, but not high. No problem dunking, but he does not play above the rim.

Virtually no back-to-the-basket moves. (**this does NOT equate to no low post offense/moves. He simply is a face the basket type**)

Is clearly not comfortable yet with his jumper at the NBA level - he can shoot, but he mainly took uncontested standstill 21 footers in college. Hasn't adjusted to NBA distance or more athletic defenders yet. He has a shot, but needs to translate it.

Not an excellent man defender at this time.

The Rest:

Will get you the occasional block as a help defender, but you wouldn't call him a shot-blocker

Will snatch the ball away if you fall asleep at the wheel, but isn't a ballhawk

IMO, we're looking at much better version of Carl Landry - one that can board almost at a Chuck Hayes level.

6. Mock

Mock Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NrgVOjiNUA < Half the season of Thomas Robinson Highlights. It's weird because you watch this video and youll think he is a superstar. He has all the moves it's insane but I think he had hustling problems and he got poor minutes. Then again learning from the Kings how to adapt to NBA is kind of a fail.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I thought this interview got interesting around the 2:00 mark.

It's a Wall Street Journal interview from the rookie education conference (or whatever they call it.)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BSh4uqC3axQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*seems* like a very decent, grounded guy.

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

He is what Patterson should be. He is great at finishing with both hands, high energy guy, not afraid of contact and his handles are excellent for a big man. He has some post moves that the Rockets will develop.

Players that play with high energy are what winning is about. You don't see what they do on the stat sheet, but you see it in the game. Being the first one down the court creates space for the rest of your team when, especially for bigs.

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

At worst he's a j.j. hickson/Patrick Patterson type of player. His ceiling is David West. I think if he can develop some low post moves and work on his mid range jumper, David West type of game is possible.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The guy rebounds and runs the floor. When a big instinctively does those things you can feel good about his future.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy breaks out next season as a starter and averages 15/9 guy for the next decade.

11. bongman

bongman Member

If he can be our Faried, I will be very satisfied. High energy guy who blocks, rebounds and inspires the whole team with his energy.