1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thomas Robinson DraftExpress Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

this young guy is a keeper..

2. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

would have been so much better if they packaged jason thompson

3. split41

split41 Member

Man, if Robinson develops to the best of his ability our team is going to dominate in a few years. I can't believe we got a top 5 pick with our trade fodder.

4. jocar

jocar Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gk_AO89Xxtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

35.5" vertical
    7'3" wingspan
    nom nom

1 person likes this.
  5. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

What stood out to me with respect to our team and his role should he stay:

* "Plays with extreme passion"
    * "Usually the first one down the court"
    * "Good handle for his size, can go coast to coast"
    * "Dangerous pick and roll player, moves well without the ball"
    * "Defends the pick and roll well thanks to lateral quickness"

* Not a good passer

6. prs325

prs325 Member

Thats a good comparison

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Better rebounder than Smith, worse shotblocker.

Again I think he's a Faried type if he pans out.

8. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

Im stoked about this trade. Everyone assumed Toney Douglas would be moving on as soon as Patrick Beverley was signed and I think he will be a sufficient replacement moving forward. Aldrich was a throw in from a previous trade and was never in Houston's future plans.
    Basically we gave up 2 mid-level 1st round picks from 2 and 3 years ago to land a solid SF in Garcia that can spell Parsons and shift Delfino to the SG spot on the second team while providing us a bigger 2nd lineup. We got an unproven commodity in Honeycutt. Who knows how he will pan out, but he has an incredible amount of talent, but needs to work on all facets of his game and get on an NBA workout program. He is too slight, too skinny ala Jeremy Lamb, to make a contribution on the NBA level at this time. And the real prize, we got the #5 pick from this past draft. We got a hyper-athletic, true PF, a big body with power, speed, hops, energy and a defensive force. Power rebounder, good on the ball skills, great speed for a 6'9", 245lb. banger. I think he is comparable to a Serge Ibaka, with better ball skills but not the shot blocker that Serge is.
    We got a steal in T-Rob, and we got bigger on the bench. We got a top 5 player from the last draft who has a ridiculous ceiling for a couple mid-1st rounders that will never be more than they are now. I really think Morey just scooped up our starting PF for the next 10+ years and a possible future all-star for pennies on the dollar. Another stellar move by the front office.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Wow. It's only been ONE GAME!! One game isn't enough of a sample size to determine if a player is ready to start.

Wait until we get a larger sample size. sheesh.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

He makes a good highlight video. Doesn't that make him a superstar on ClutchFans?

11. 45souf

45souf Member

12. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Thomas Robinson is very RAW! We downgraded talent wise...but Robinson has potential to be way better than 2Pat.

Hopefully he can work with Hakeem in the offseason as well as CD and McHale so he can grow his offense.

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

What worries me is that the tenacity and finishing ability he displayed at KU hasn't really been present in Sacramento thus far. I think he may have picked up some bad habits from Cousins and company, but luckily he's still in his first year. Even in Summer League, where he was expected to dominate, he tried to play on the perimeter, which he didn't have the J or handles to do (his J and handles are solid for the 4 spot, but not 3-worthy in the least).

He's still shown explosive leaping ability off pick-n-rolls, but the standstill explosiveness and ability to finish hasn't been present, and that's key to succeeding inside in the NBA, unless you're a stretch-4 like Patterson. His finishing numbers at the rim haven't been good as a whole this year.

The good is that he has the tools. For his athleticism (very good but not elite), news he has solid size (6'8" or 6'9", 245 with a long wingspan), and a nice motor. He's been effective on the glass, even if he's not playing close to the rim as much as he should.

Basically, we need to stick him back in the paint. His ceiling is a rich man's Landry. But part of what made Landry good is that he always played to his strengths - using his body and being physical. Robinson's biggest weakness in his short NBA stint has been him not playing to his strengths.

14. valorita

valorita Member

Robinson has an elite motor and good physical tools to back it up. He reminds me of a faried/griffin hybrid. He was also the best rebounder in college that year which always translates well in to the pros.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Why did Sacramento give up on him, I bet he and Cousins got beef with each other.

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I'm certainly sold on the guy from what y'all say and from how eager he was wanted by Morey.

I'm glad this dude hustles hard. No slight to Patterson, but its nice to have a player who wants to be doing the dirty work, fighting for position and going for those offensive rebounds/slam dunks. He's super athletic, moreso than 2Pat and Morris I think. He seems like quite the tenacious defender as well. I understand he lacks a consistent jump-shot but I think we can live with that; we have Motiejunas and Jones to offset that.

I watched that DX video; I thought comparing him to Paul Millsap (a player we covet(ed)) was quite interesting. Maybe we did get our PF of the future after all.

Crazy how we got so young at this spot. 4 players who have the chance to fight it out for the starting role. In Morey We Trust :grin:

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I really like him a lot, but one time I fell in love with a 6'9" PF that was physically dominant in college and he fizzled - Marcus Fizer.

So, I applaud taking the chance on this guy, but will wait and see.

DD

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

a calculated approach without donning him the next 'coMing from DD?

is it raining cats and dogs outside? I guess T-Rob may have a chance in the league after all.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

He was obviously pretty high on the guy. We were rumored to be seeking a trade with Sac at the time -- Kyle Lowry for the #5 pick. I assume Morey would've taken Robinson then, if that trade went through.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The video says he is NBA ready.