1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thomas Hitzlsperger announces he is gay in newspaper interview

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 8, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/08/thomas-hitzlsperger-gay-announces-homosexual

Thomas Hitzlsperger has become the most high-profile footballer to come out, announcing on Wednesday that he is gay. The former Aston Villa, West Ham and Everton player has given a long interview to the German paper Die Zeit, in which he says that he is talking about his sexuality because he wants "to further the debate about homosexuality among sports professionals".

Hitzlsperger represented Germany 52 times, played in a World Cup and a European Championship and won the Bundesliga with Stuttgart. He retired in September last year, having also played for Lazio in Italy and Wolfsburg. "It's been a long and difficult process" [of becoming aware of being gay]. Only in the last few years have I realised that I preferred living together with a man," Hitzlsperger added.

"In England, Italy and Germany being a homosexual is no big thing, at least not in the dressing room," he said, before adding: "I was never ashamed of being who I am but it was not always easy to sit on a table with 20 young men and listen to jokes about gays. You let them get on with it as long as the jokes are somewhat funny and not too insulting.

"Being gay is topic that is 'ignored' in football and not 'a serious topic in the changing room'. Fighting spirit, passion and winning mentality are intrinsically linked, that doesn't fit the cliché: 'Gays are soft'".

Last year, the former Leeds United player Robbie Rogers came out, telling the world about his sexuality in a statement on his website. Last month the British diver Tom Daley also announced that he has a boyfriend.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I remember "Der Hammer" in his Villa days.
    Good for him I guess, to each his own.

Just would be more important if he did that when he was still playing as opposed to now in retirement.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It comes from Jörg the Hammer Albertz

passed on to 'Hitz the Hammer'