1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This year, next year.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ccjj, Dec 6, 2005.

1. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

If we have to make a trade to save this year, I hope we can get somebody really impactful. Looking into next year, we have Spoon, Wesley, Moochie, Barry and Vin Baker comming off the book and that is 21.3M dollars! Minus Yao's extra 6.4M, we shall have about 15M to spend...... Who is available next year?

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

15M to spend? Not unless you're figuring the salary cap is going to miraculously rise to 64.5M from its current 49.5M....

* 2006-07 Committed payroll *
    McGrady - 16.9M
    Yao (maxed) - 12.0M
    Juwan Howard - 6.4M
    Swift - 5.4M
    Alton - 4.2M
    Mutombo 2.1M
    Luther Head - 1.0M
    ---------------
    Total - 48.1M

Who's available? Unrestricted FA's with our MLE.

#2 GATER, Dec 6, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. This is why we need to trade Howard, Swift, DA and Alston. None of them are helping us. Get two players out of that mix.

We also need to tank. We will need a lotto pick to stockpile talent.

I would think Les can handle a team around 55 mil, under the lux tax. So we can include Wesley or Moochie in a trade and bump up the contract a little.

4. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Tanking makes sense, the Rox brass aren't going to do that deliberately but we need youth, speed, talent and value and the only way I see that happening is to build through the draft. We need talent on rookie contracts and right now we are the team with the fewest rookie contracts in the league. The problem with building teams around young players is it takes time both to collect and cultivate the talent and I am not sure our window of opportunity is that wide with how McGrady has been talking about his health lately.

The Rox can't afford to make any more poor personnel decisions, if Swift and RA don't work out this will be a wasted year taken from our window of opportunity.

5. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Trades are NOT the answer. The Rox have the talent they just need some cohesion. Patience young Padawan. They'll be fine by Enero.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Didn't you get the memo? :p

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The draft is not a reliable way to build a team nowadays because of the influx of young "potentials." You never know what you'll get until you get them. At most, you have 2 or 3 "can't miss" prospects, like the LeBron draft. Sometimes you have none, like the Brown draft.

Some guys (e.g. Jay Williams) are perceived to be "can't miss" but don't pan out. It's a hit or miss business. Even the best talent evluators are just doing educated guessing. The weather man is more reliable.

Tanking is not going to help, unless you have a LeBron coming up in the next draft. Even then, you still need to win the lottery.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tell it to the Spurs. They got Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili in the draft.

9. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

But Tim Duncan is an ALL-STAR player. That's the point. Rudy Gay is not Tim Duncan or Lebron. They did not tank to get Parker or Ginobili, so that is not relevant to what he was saying.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if the cap is $49M and will probably go up, and we are down to $48M then we don't get the MLE because we are under the cap, right?

i thought that unless we get under the cap by the equivelant of the MLE then it's not worth it to even be under the cap because you have less money to spend.

11. GATER

You're right. To get to $48M with the above listed roster, you have to renounce all other FA's first. So we now have 7 players and a draft pick and a need for 7 players to fill up the roster. And you've lost the MLE. If the cap raises 10% (historically it's about 5%) to 54.5M, we have a whopping $6.5 of cap space to fill out the roster. Not smart. ;)

And since you're that sharp, you also see the virtual impossibility of losing Howard, Swift and Alston for expiring contracts.

#11 GATER, Dec 6, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  12. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

who the hell says they didn't tank to get tim duncan???? oh lord..where were you?

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

So in your opinion we are screwed as far as obtaining any worthwhile talent. How do the Rox emulate the Bulls because I am really impressed how they were able to get Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, Nacioni and were still able to make a mistake or 2 in Williams and Curry (albeit not by poor decision making). They also have so many assets that are tradeable so they are an attractive trading partner, I just don't see that in the Rox. Makes me wonder about the longer term picture.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Bulls were the worst team in basketball for 3 or 4 years and they made trades that got them extra draft picks..

15. utsrinu

utsrinu Member

tanking is for chumps, we will get through this.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tim Duncan was a "can't miss" and Parker and Ginobili weren't. They hit jackpot three times (Duncan for winning the lottery, Parker and Ginobili for scooping up great foreign talents). You got to be both lucky and good in this business.

Read his post again. He said they didn't tank to get Parker and Ginobili, not Duncan.

We tanked to get Sampson and Hakeem. But that was before the lottery. In fact, IIRC, the lottery was instituted BECAUSE of the Twin Tower tanking. A bit of an embarrassing Rockets history. :(

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

But the Spurs have someone picking their drafts who knows what he's doing while the Rockets have...

18. GATER

someone picking Nachbar at #15 and playing him 77 total minutes in his rookie season?

This is fill in the blanks, right? Or was the correct answer Luther Head? :D

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have 2 words for you: Eddie Griffin. :)

I must confess that I completely forgot about Nachbar seeing as how he's out there lighting up the league... :p

As for LH, I thought the consensus here was that it was JVG who made that pick and not Dawson and didn't Rudy T take the fall/blame for drafting Snackbar? :cool:

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Spurs have a far superior scouting team, as is apparent by their recent history of draft picks/signings. I don't think we can compete with that, unless of course we steal their scouts...Hmm :cool: