1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This Week in Astronomy: An Inhabitable Planet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Sep 30, 2010.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Science is cool...

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Science is cool, but it's always hard to take any conclusions (such as "No aliens would come here because we're too far" or "there's no way life could exist on Mars" or "there is no water on the moon") too seriously as they seem to always revise earlier theories completely eventually. That said... baby steps, I guess.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Pluto is/is not a planet. :grin:

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I was told "theories are meant to be proven wrong".

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-_2xGIwQfik?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&start=139"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-_2xGIwQfik?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&start=139" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bebSxF0rr5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bebSxF0rr5I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I guess my point is that frequently scientific theories are too often presented, or taken, or both, as fact.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

So are we going to aim a radio telescope there and broadcast a "Howdy" and wait 40 years to see what comes back?

10. droxford

droxford Member

So...

We're on the verge of conclusively identifying an earth-like planet.

The next step will be to identify an earth-like planet capable of sustaining life.

The next step will be to identify an earth-like planet that has life on it.

The next step will be to identify an earth-like planet that has intelligent life on it.

The next step will be figuring out how to communicate with that/those planet(s)

That last one is going to be the largest hurdle for mankind to achieve. This will require us to figure out how to send signals, or how to transport faster than the speed of light. I wish I could see that happen in my lifetime, but I don't think it will be so.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

in HD radio, AM, FM, or Short Wave? :confused:

:grin:

12. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

You forgot the step where humans invade said planet if possible because we're all greedy, self absorbed bastards.

1 person likes this.
  13. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

15. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

This is huge news and was only a matter of time. We are on the verge of the greatest discovery in human history and if you check the news you'll find Palin on Dancing With the Stars or a Jersey Shore update.

This planet is so promising as a planet extremely favorable for life and its only logical that more discoveries are to come. What we're seeing right now in Astronomy is a planetary gold rush. I say within ten years time, life outside of Earth will be proven, not counting space stations of course. ;)

It is a very exciting time to be alive to say the least, even if no one else is paying attention.

1 person likes this.
  16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Myself I'd rather we have little to no everyday gadgets posing as "advancement", but have big equipment to explore space to understand what science is about and how its applicable to our lives. Though I try not to be that one that assumes every person must have only an astronomical interstellar focus in life. Believing if you're not looking to the stars, then you're not looking ANYwhere. And you must talk in big magnitudes of "life-like", "species", "civilization", "planetary", "light years" etc...that uppity attitude gets annoying.

But it'd be better to have people underwhelmed cuz they're ALREADY conscious of its implications, rather than being underwhelmed out of pure apathy. I've always thought science and tech should be scrutinized as much as government and business, but oh well...apathy. Yay, a planet with life.

17. YaosDirtyStache

This week in Astronomy: Virgins

18. Wakko67

Days later and 16 posts in. Even the mouse in a loaf of bread thread has more posts. Even the beloved Clutch Fans bbs isn't immune.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

When they actually see some type of living thing, i bet people will really care.

I'm in the opinion that if we are here, why can't someone else be there.

20. Wakko67

I think it will be big news too, but this seems like the precursor. Like crossing a seemingly endless ocean and after a long time seeing seagulls.

This $#!+ is about to blow up like the godfather!